lolograde

[lolo_duel3] "Bishop"

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

New duel map (also FFA) called "Bishop". 2xYA, 1xMH, 1xRA. Two atriums w/ roughly the same scale/dimensions as Use and Abuse (cpm3a). Thanks to @irish for some feedback and ideas. Comments/feedback is appreciated.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=877564151

9508CC754F3C07401D745A3957DC5E4D984175C6

Edited by lolograde
ketku, S°I, NicholasWalters and 1 other like this

cant really comment on how the map plays combat wise and wont be for a few weeks - i only had a quick run around, however, it seems like it will play in a fairly predictable way due to the way the armors are placed. in much the same way that you tend to always see the same timings and armor cycles setup on certain maps (pocket infinity and in particular the catalyst are notorious for this), its already apparent that there is quite clearly an optimal way to cycle this map. lower ya -> upper YA -> RA. I tend to favor less 'imbalanced' armor placements and layouts that make each game look and play differently from the one before it and that also reduce the prevalence of super rapey games by virtue of the fact that the map is setup for these full control situations. 

from a layout perspective, id say simply that there are alot of fairly open and flat areas. perhaps slightly more micro-elevation changes to take advantage of and a few line of sight breakers would help. 

also, there are alot of teleporters, which may or may not be a good thing, but it certainly makes it harder to judge whether a map is any good or not as figuring out the teleporter interplay is probably the thing that takes the longest on new maps. generally speaking though, the less teleporters you 'need', the better the map layout is at a fundamental level imo. so working on the layout and trimming teleporters can only be a good thing - imo ofcourse.

Thanks for the feedback @thelawenforcer. I'm considering scrapping the whole RA atrium area. Originally, it was very much a ripoff of Use and Abuse but now it just seems needlessly messy. I like the MH atrium much more but you're right, it is a bit flat. 

I'll see what I can do to eliminate the need for the teles. I think 3 teles is max. Right now, this map has 4 and 2 jumppads. Just a little too messy. 

Played the updated version last night against DSHARP3 (I think he streamed it, you could find it in his VOD if you wanted). The tweaks you made have definitely helped, no really long bolt sightlines anymore etc. However, my worthy opponent observed that the tele by yellow armour needs to go (or the armour needs to be moved). It didn't occur to me at the time but due to the tele arrrangement, you could use the tele under bolt to get to the yellow armour and then immediately escape with the yellow. That might be a bit too powerful, although I'm kind of curious to see how it plays out now I type all of this!

However if you just removed the tele, the room would be a boring dead end so yeah. maybe just move the armour, idk.

Yea, agreed with all your comments. I'm in the process of completely rebuilding the map from scratch. The MH atrium is staying largely as is but the whole RA atrium is getting redone.

Still waiting for inspiration to strike for RA atrium. :-)

5 hours ago, lolograde said:

Yea, agreed with all your comments. I'm in the process of completely rebuilding the map from scratch. The MH atrium is staying largely as is but the whole RA atrium is getting redone.

Still waiting for inspiration to strike for RA atrium. :-)

I'm not sure it needs to be rebuilt from scratch mate, don't go nuts!

56 minutes ago, Jaguar said:

I'm not sure it needs to be rebuilt from scratch mate, don't go nuts!

Too late. Lol...

Jaguar likes this

On 3/17/2017 at 7:34 PM, Jaguar said:

Show meeee :D

Now available on workshop. Map was rebuilt from scratch and lots of changes made. Basically, it's almost a new map.

This is still WIP. Haven't played a single duel on it myself. Feedback is appreciated.

8 hours ago, lolograde said:

Now available on workshop. Map was rebuilt from scratch and lots of changes made. Basically, it's almost a new map.

This is still WIP. Haven't played a single duel on it myself. Feedback is appreciated.

You nutter! I'll check it out soon!

Haha, you can see all the health on the map from the screenshot. That's no bueno. Will need to fix. :unsure:

Jaguar likes this

Alright. I think this map is getting to a good place. Has anyone played any duels on this???

25 minutes ago, lolograde said:

Alright. I think this map is getting to a good place. Has anyone played any duels on this???

Not yet. I'll make a point to though, remind me later on :D

lolograde likes this

2 hours ago, EternalRage said:

I take it the map is not finished.  I took a teleporter into an empty room that I couldn't leave.

Lol sorry. I made some quick edits at lunch and mistakenly left tele exit in that airless room. Lol. It should be fixed now.

Looking good. You should do a 1map cup. Or post some VODs of gameplay, trickjumps, etal. <3

lolograde likes this

Posted (edited)

Made a few updates today focused on making the map feel less cramped (a criticism made by @Ramagan). 

1. Expanded MH hallway from 160u to 192u
  2. Opened up lower RL area
  3. Lowered RA pit a bit more so you cannot spam MH while standing on (or next to) RA. 
  4. Adjusted area above RA pit a bit (making a triple jump out of RA up to GL a tad bit easier)
  5. Opened up middle area near IC that looks down at YA.

Generally, the map should feel a bit more open in the middle-upper area (near IC), in the MH hallway, and the lower-RA area. Upper RA area will feel slightly more confined and should make it more tricky to spam RA from above.

Edited by lolograde