Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
I am not Mike

Why was this game created?

8 posts in this topic

On a completely serious note, from a guy who never played Reflex (but watched some Reflex on Twitch), and played a little bit of Quake Live, and a little bit of Warsow.

I honestly do not understand people who play one of either Quakelive or Reflex, but "hate" the other, when they seem MOSTLY the same. And all that Reflex is, seems like could have been just a mod or a skin for Quakelive basically, with a little tweak on the movement maybe. Or Warsow. So Reflex, to me it seems, is like someone just decided to redo Warsow from scratch. So why go through all of that, instead of just play Warsow? Or at least save yourself work by forking Warsow?

No trolling or hate intended.

The QL/Reflex comparison is analogous to like, CS/CoD or tennis/squash or something. :) They're similar in some obvious (and important) ways, but different enough that you could easily enjoy one and be bored or frustrated by the other. Same with Warsow, really -- again there are plenty of similarities but the gameplay is actually different in a lot of important ways. The game Reflex really resembles closely is the Quake 3 mod CPM, but as well as a lot of smallish gameplay differences, Reflex has matchmaking & ladders, nicer graphics, a UI that won't scare away everyone born after 1990, in-game multi-player map editing, and so on.

lolograde, Greed, Loori and 2 others like this

It's a pretty narrow minded view to have. Take the names Quakelive, reflex & warsow from your post. Replace them with models of cars like ford, audi & bmw & your post makes no sense.

Why drive an audi when there is fords? starts to sound pretty stupid doesn't it?

As to why this game was created, 2 people who make a living creating games for companys, decided they wanted to make their own game. They decided AFPS needed a fresh new title, and 3 years later... here we are. 

Greed and Jaguar like this

there is no real gameplay innovation in reflex, that's true. it's still more advanced and polished than any of the games you've listed and it has active developers who actually listen to the community. the very social map editor is great, race is great, widgets are great, IT'S TREMENDOUS. warsow's development is dead, it doesn't have matchmaking and it relies on 40 year old technology (irc) to organize games. quake live is basically quake 3, a 20 year old game with every server having a different ruleset and/or obscure mods installed. steamspy says that roughly 40k people own reflex on steam, so there's your answer to "Why was this game created?". some people want to play it.

this doesn't look very similar to reflex to me btw:

.. also money

capo likes this

Fair enough, makes sense.

Is there some kind of a demo, where I can just try how Reflex feels, without having to buy it?

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:24 AM, I am not Mike said:

Fair enough, makes sense.

Is there some kind of a demo, where I can just try how Reflex feels, without having to buy it?

its only 8 dollars(and some cents I think), Just buy it, if you like it play it, if you don't, refund it.:)

1 hour ago, F4ster said:

its only 8 dollars(and some cents I think), Just buy it, if you like it play it, if you don't, refund it.:)

Yea I did, as soon as Lorim proposed it. i didn't know about refunds earlier (I wish I did tho, I have some other stuff I wish I could still refund now).

I already surpassed the 2 hours, and I like the game, so I'm here for good now :P

Lorim, F4ster, arnold and 2 others like this