Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pill_

EU CTF Draft Cup: zombie edition 25-03-2017

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So with launch and matchmaking and the slight resurgence in playerbase, I decided this would be a good moment to try to get another draft going! The aim of this cup is to give old players a reminder of why they used to !add up for days and to give new players a taste of a great and underappreciated gamemode.

Signup:

https://goo.gl/forms/LNSfPaiRqfL4jHGo1 (If you don't have a google account, PM me on these forums with the following info: your in game nickname, your location, if you have a mic and if you're willing to be captain)

When:

• Saturday, 25th of March (25-03-2017)
  • checkins: 18:00 CET
  • Draft: 19:00 CET
  • Cup start: 19:15 CET

Where:

https://discord.gg/U73YjF9

Format:

Double elim, bo3 throughout, pick-pick,

Mappool:

• Monolith
  • Spider Crossings
  • Cofe

Minimum player count:

What's a Draft Cup?

Basically, at the start of the cup, a number of team captains will take turns picking players for their team from everybody who signed up for the cup. Then these temporary teams compete against each other to see who's the best. The benefit of this format is that the teams will be much more balanced.

Wait, captains?

Captain is just a nice word for "guy who picks his team". That's it.

Why should I play?

First off, CTF is fun! It's got fast paced action, high speed chases, clutch flag returns, high octane quad runs, last minute captures and teamwork is OP. Secondly, the gamemode has been struggling in Reflex (and that's putting it mildly). Playing in this cup is a great way to help the community kickstart some interest in it again. 

OK I'm convinced, but I'm new and I'm afraid I'm not good enough yet

You don't need to be! CTF is a great way to learn the game. It's a team game, so the learning curve is much less harsh than 1v1 and you can learn from your teammates. Another advantage of CTF is that you can train specific skills in a more targeted manner than in duel. You wanna get better rails? Go play forward defender and have at it. You wanna improve your movement? Attacker it is.

Yea but I bet all these old gods are gonna crush me and then my team is gonna flame me

This isn't Overwatch. Flaming somebody for playing badly doesn't really happen in the Reflex CTF community (to quote CTF regular Owl: "worst it got was xero sighing really hard and being a bit stern"). We're all adults here and I don't expect anybody will take this cup too seriously anyway (at most you're playing for pride).

The post says EU, I'm in NA, can I still play?

Sure, as long you don't mind the ping disadvantage.

Do I have to use a mic?

No. Will your team be better if you use a mic? Absolutely. If for whatever reason you cannot use a mic, please bind the following:

• bind game [KEY] sayteam HIGH HIGH HIGH
  • bind game [KEY] sayteam LOW LOW LOW
  • bind game [KEY] sayteam QUAD QUAD QUAD

Regardless if you have a mic or not, you have to be in the voice comms channel, if only to listen in.

I will update this post with some rules and some new player resources soon

Edited by Pill_
S°I, Delementary, Owl and 11 others like this

Hell yea! I haven't even played CTF yet, almost got a queue pop but somebody declined! Let's goooo

Owl likes this

7 hours ago, Pill_ said:

Do I have to use a mic?

Absolutely. If for whatever reason you cannot use a mic, please bind the following:

• bind game [KEY] sayteam HIGH HIGH HIGH
  • bind game [KEY] sayteam LOW LOW LOW
  • bind game [KEY] sayteam QUAD QUAD QUAD

Your binds are WROING!

I am at middle!

Push up motherfuckers!

Ive score for king!

Much better... :wub:

wrjthe likes this

I've decided on a final mappool. The maps will be Monolith, Spider Crossings and Cofe. Mono and Cofe are somewhat controversial picks and I'm aware of that. A lot of people complain that they don't get enough FPS on Monolith, however, right now, you will struggle to get good FPS on any CTF map because the engine doesn't deal well with high playercounts. I compared demos with 8 players on both Monolith and Spider Crossings and on average the difference was 10fps (to be fair, Monolith did fluctuate more). Cofe is somewhat untested, however it's the least untested compared to other potential maps.

I will provide a discord link in my next post and I will start working on a short guide for the (many!) participants who are new to CTF in Reflex.

On 3/13/2017 at 4:02 PM, capo said:

Your binds are WROING!

I am at middle!

Push up motherfuckers!

Ive score for king!

Much better... :wub:

MEDIUM* > middle B)

*This is an old, never-going-to-die, CPM CTF reference. 

BUMP ITS SOON!

TIME FLAGS CAPTURE QUADS GET GOT

HYPE

Jaguar likes this

Good games to everyone who played and thanks for hosting it Pill.

Hope the developers will fix the frame issues the game has with higher player numbers on the same map.

In general more support for teammodes would be great. (Still waiting for regen powerup lol)