Impermanent

Game stream/vod on Twitch looks jerky

Question

The game itself runs just fine streaming it, but when I playback the stream (720p/60fps) it looks like it's not nearly as smooth, and it makes my mouse movements look jerky. This could be a side effect of me playing on a 144hz monitor, but I swear it doesn't look as smooth as some of the other games I stream and have in twitch's vod format. It's really just the mouse movements that stand out the most. Everything else looks OK. I also notice other streams of this game not looking like it's properly outputting to 60fps too, so it's convincing it might be the game. I can't confirm it, so I could be wrong, but I am interested if anyone else has noticed it. 

It's not the worst thing in the world, but I'd like to fix it if I can. It's just not a true representation of what I see.

I stream at 720p/60fps/3000kbps/h264 with the quality preset set to quality. I have a Ryzen 1700/16gb ram, and an RX480 8GB video card. The computer can handle it, but any tweaks that can be suggested would be great. Thinking about using more CPU and maybe trying x264 instead of the h264 I've been using, even though h264 has been great up to this point.

I figured I'd go ahead and ask since it'll be tomorrow evening until I can try anything. Might as well see if anyone else has any ideas so I have more options to try out.

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

What software are you using? I recommend using obs-studio (and not the older one) if you aren't already.

Can you share a clip where the jerky movement occurs?

Quality preset? You mean encoding/CPU preset for x264? veryfast is recommended but you could try using faster or fast if the quality looks blocky (but only do so after you have resolved the jerkiness first, slower preset may also cause that). Encoding profile should be set to High.

If the jerkiness is constant and not random, then you should experiment with different in-game FPS caps, try uncapped, try 142, try 60, see if that fixes it. You also might want to check the game capture settings and try fiddling with capture framerate options as well if those are available in the software.

(Also h264 is the video codec, x264 is the encoder that uses h264. The other h264 you refer to could be the GPU encoder which aren't that great for streaming but only good for recording videos)

ZuLuuuuuu and Jaguar like this

I and a few other streamers stream Reflex in 60 FPS so it is probably not the game.

Is h264 the hardware encoder for AMD GPUs? I don't know it so I'll suggest using x264 which is very popular and you can see if it solves your issue. So set your config like this:

720p/60fps/3000kbps/x264, encoder preset: superfast

The image quality will be bad but check if the stream is smooth and if it is, change the encoder preset until you get a decent stream quality. Don't start with high quality presets because stuttering streams are an indication of your computer not being able to handle the quality you selected.

I use NVENC which is the hardware encoder for NVIDIA GPUs. Unlike the bad reputation of hardware encoders, I find that the quality is pretty good at 3500kbps. I use hardware encoder since my i5 CPU with 4 cores cannot handle CPU encoding and at the same time playing the game. Ryzen 1700 should be good to stream with software encoder at veryfast encoding preset thanks to its 8 cores/16 threads but if you want to use your GPU for encoding, maybe you might try lowering your graphics settings so that the game uses less GPU.

Also one thing people don't mention enough as advice to streamers is the FPS cap of the game. Cap your FPS a little above your monitor refresh rate so that your CPU and GPU does not waste resources to render the game unnecessarily and instead it uses those resources for encoding.

So summary:

- Cap your FPS

- Lower your graphics settings

- Try software encoder (x264) with superfast encoding preset

- If the smoothness is fixed, try to make your settings a little bit higher until you get smooth AND decent quality stream.

If you get serious about streaming, you end up getting a separate computer for encoding anyway and then you can use all the CPU on the streaming computer for encoding. Though starting streaming on the same computer you game is perfectly fine, you just need to lower your expectations a little bit and thanks to new CPUs with more cores like Ryzen it is now more viable as an option.

does that looky like what u would explain about?

that was recorded by me with old obs and my regular streaming settings

just raised up the bitrate to get higher quality for recording

other than that these are my settings

Pcxjaq2.png

xjDsq0y.png

SHtUeeq.png

ps: my hardware ist i5-5675c + rx480

Thanks for the responses, guys! Yes, I use OBS studio. Not sure how I forgot to put that in my OP. Anyway, I'm willing to bet it has to do with h264. Def, I'll recreate your settings. Thanks!

Zulu, I know this computer can handle this game with no problem and streaming it too. I doubt I'll need to reduce anything, because it can stream far more demanding games just fine, but if x264 doesn't solve it, I'll look deeper into changing graphics. But, it's like I said, the game runs flawlessly, it's the stream that looks jerky.

I'll mess with capping the frame rate too.

Goa, if I don't find a workaround, I'll post a clip of what I'm talking about.

edit: just to be clear, the only reason why I suspected the game, is due to that I have no issues with streaming other games at 60fps. It could be a mixture of game settings and OBS settings like you guys have mentioned. I have tried everything so far, and while it's a tad better, it's not perfect. It's ok for now, but I'll keep tweaking it. Could very well be twitch encoding settings. There's still quite a bit more to play with!

So, I captured a vod while watching a duel in progress, and I noticed that it looked smooth like it should. It made me realize that it was my mouse sensitivity, because odds are, the match I was watching of the high level players used a lower sensitivity. Mine is high, which I need to change anyway. As soon as I did, the recording was much smoother, like that of the high level player I captured on the vod.

Who knew. Lol.