xGhoul

eSports???

12 posts in this topic

I'm new to the AFPS community, so maybe I'm just missing something, but I haven't really seen a lot of competitions, besides a few online cups. Has anybody ever brought this game to LAN attention? I'm a huge fan of offline competition, and I'd really like to see Reflex get some spotlight.

Most of the reflex top players wouldn't turn up to a LAN. Even if you paid for their flights and hotels & they had a top pc waiting for them at the event, and alls they had to do was bring themselves, they still wouldn't.

If you were to host a LAN it would have to be in Germany or the Netherlands, since anywhere else would be too big of a distance for people to travel.

There used to be online tournaments in the past, but there hasn't really been a proper Duel tournament since EU#3, and Duel is alls people really care about tbh.

That's a shame. I really would like to see the game grow as a competitive medium. I feel like it's something an organization like ESL would pick up if they saw support for it.

No players, no spectators

No spectators, no revenue

No revenue, no sponsors

No sponsors, no pro interest

No pro interest, no LANs

One step at a time.

Unfortunately the world of esports is just another business that revolves 100% around profit,  and has nothing to do with the competitive merit of a game.

its possible that people would turn up to a lan in germany/netherlands for the fun. after all, thats kind of how esports got started in the first place. I think I would turn up for one, for instance, and im not sponsored or have any chance of winning anything xD

HaraldQuake likes this

well thats the thing, the uk is (manchester or liverpool afaik) is a long way away, and involves either driving for 12 hours, or getting a flight. netherlands/germany are a few hours of motorway away for most people..

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, thelawenforcer said:

its possible that people would turn up to a lan in germany/netherlands for the fun. after all, thats kind of how esports got started in the first place. I think I would turn up for one, for instance, and im not sponsored or have any chance of winning anything xD

I looked into it for NL about a year ago. It's impossible to do without BYOC since there are no gaming cafe's left in the NL (downside of having god tier internet connections). BYOC would heavily cut down on attendance to the point where it's not even worth it IMO.

E: that's unless the Reflex community can come up with like ~1000 euros for venue + renting PC's and monitors.

Edited by Pill_

I've arranged for a LAN in Australia to include the game. If you know of a LAN in your area, or one that you can attend/is popular, let me know and I can see if they will include Reflex Arena into it. We're happy for it to be out there at LAN parties, a great way for some more people to see it and experience. 

Chongus likes this

9 hours ago, Thaylia said:

I've arranged for a LAN in Australia to include the game. If you know of a LAN in your area, or one that you can attend/is popular, let me know and I can see if they will include Reflex Arena into it. We're happy for it to be out there at LAN parties, a great way for some more people to see it and experience. 

Make sure someone logs in and saves the popular maps for play first!

yakcyll~ likes this

18 hours ago, thelawenforcer said:

well thats the thing, the uk is (manchester or liverpool afaik) is a long way away, and involves either driving for 12 hours, or getting a flight. netherlands/germany are a few hours of motorway away for most people..

Why not LAN in your house.