Colossus

Widgets/Addons and what is considered cheating?

33 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Colossus said:

An individuals perception on what is considered too broken is not the issue, what the problem is that the developers (to my knowledge) have not made a statement on what is allowed and what isn't and until they do and crackdown on the widget system they implemented I advise every single person to use every shady add on they can find because best believe me other people are using anything they can get their hands on.

I've told my friend about all the sounds I modified/add-ons I installed to give myself an advantage and it made them lose interest in the game and I'm sure if other players were aware itd be a huge turn off, because even to me its a HUGE turn off, I have such an advantage because I can time items easily and can hear exactly where they spawn know right when they pick up any item on the map and to my knowledge its Accepted... you take the advantage of already being an arena shooter player and you add it on to that and a new player would never get a single kill.

what's the solution after these widgets/api functions/sound edits are banned? the players that do all this stuff do it because it makes timing easier, so i doubt they're going to magically start liking the act of timing items. they'll just take five minutes and grab an external timer like the one i linked above or use something like this ql hud

yH9mQec.jpg

i think the dev team should try some experimental changes to the item spawn system/the duel mode in general, whether they do it themselves or let the community try to come up with something via the implementation of gametype scripting capabilities.

There's a lot more you can do with widgets than timing items

You will never be able to stop people cheating if they want to they can get aimbot/wall hacks and its a losing battle but my point is that there is cheating that is allowed by the developers and its sort of a grey area and if they limited it and had guidelines legit players wouldn't have to resort to modifying the shit out of their game and constantly be worried that their opponent has some add-on they dont. 

22 minutes ago, Colossus said:

There's a lot more you can do with widgets than timing items

You will never be able to stop people cheating if they want to they can get aimbot/wall hacks and its a losing battle but my point is that there is cheating that is allowed by the developers and its sort of a grey area and if they limited it and had guidelines legit players wouldn't have to resort to modifying the shit out of their game and constantly be worried that their opponent has some add-on they dont. 

i want them banned too but my point is that people's perception of timing vs aiming isn't going to change if some widgets are banned. people are just going to do the next easiest thing to make timing irrelevant, and it's always going to be a problem with any new arena fps that has a traditional item spawning system.

-Reduce item respawn time to 20 seconds or add 3D timers like they have in Quake Live or Quake Champions to all modes, add a carnage warning sound 15 seconds before it spawns

-Reduce movement speed to 300 ups (to generally make weapons more effective), buff knockback on rockets to make it more consistent

-Remove Addon support and introduce custom sounds, effects & HUDs via drop system

-Add sv_pure to only allow default models and graphics (no custom stuff, lightmapped world, preset graphics on medium quality)

2 hours ago, HaraldQuake said:

-Reduce movement speed to 300 ups (to generally make weapons more effective), buff knockback on rockets to make it more consistent

Just... all of my wat...

NicholasWalters and Jaguar like this

Do the developers read the forum much? Maybe I should try reaching out via discord or make a stream called Widget:Arena and just play competitive with the most broken add-ons/custom sounds. As it stands I lost interest in this game and so did all of my friends. I modified my game to the point of it being cheating. myself and many other people were doing this and with no response back I'm assuming that is acceptable by the developers, well that's OK but its not acceptable for me or anybody that I've talked with and you wonder why you sit at 50 players on at one time here is one of the reasons why.

It reminds me of CSGO where every game somebody was assuming that a player on the other team was using some sort of hack, The difference between Turbo Pixel & Valve is that Valve says its against the rules and enforce those rules(although very poorly) as a player who wants to be legitimate the rules are set in place of what you can and cant do. In this game its open season just go wild with it.

PLEASE MODERATE WIDGET & SOUNDS FOR COMPETITIVE 

Nathan, HaraldQuake and Fastidious like this

30 minutes ago, Colossus said:

Do the developers read the forum much? Maybe I should try reaching out via discord or make a stream called Widget:Arena and just play competitive with the most broken add-ons/custom sounds. As it stands I lost interest in this game and so did all of my friends. I modified my game to the point of it being cheating. myself and many other people were doing this and with no response back I'm assuming that is acceptable by the developers, well that's OK but its not acceptable for me or anybody that I've talked with and you wonder why you sit at 50 players on at one time here is one of the reasons why.

It reminds me of CSGO where every game somebody was assuming that a player on the other team was using some sort of hack, The difference between Turbo Pixel & Valve is that Valve says its against the rules and enforce those rules(although very poorly) as a player who wants to be legitimate the rules are set in place of what you can and cant do. In this game its open season just go wild with it.

PLEASE MODERATE WIDGET & SOUNDS FOR COMPETITIVE 

Since Newborn left, the Reflex devs have adopted the say nothing do nothing strategy in regards to competition and gameplay.

I think you're right, they'll only do something about it if you showcase and advertise the lua cheat widgets, so go ahead.

Reflex competition has been a lua war ever since lua was implemented.

The Reflex devs seem to think that "customization" is more important than a good and fair competitive environment, delusion has no limits.

Fastidious likes this

On 4/23/2017 at 9:56 AM, Padawan said:

NOT TO MENTION the widgets that are being coded privately and not shared amongst the community.

This is why when I wrote my item timers script (that timed armors you picked up and your mega) I posted it on the forums. If stuff like this is going to be possible, it definitely shouldn't be private. But the thread got removed, so I guess I get to have an item timer script and other players don't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  (for what it's worth, I don't use it, but I still have the code.)

On 4/25/2017 at 7:30 PM, hArD_a$$_nIqQa said:

in cpm armor let you absorb 50% of self-damage regardless of what tier armor you had but in reflex that is not the case.

This sounded really weird when I read it, but after thinking about it I guess this would make the style of play where you just constantly damage yourself to suck up all the armors on the map less effective, which I really hate because I think it gives the in control player too much of an advantage (the in control player already has an enormous advantage).

On 4/26/2017 at 6:06 AM, Padawan said:

True, i guess this way would work so much better in CPM, where global sounds didn't exist (you could time your own pickups ofcourse, but it was harder to keep track of enemy pickups so an AHK script wouldn't work in this case). CPM somehow was an excellent tradeoff between the combat/damage game and picking up armors. With the lack of global sounds, not many players would time an item to the very second precisely which shifted the gameplay more around dealing damage/punishing positioning and not so much the pacman style gameplay we see now in Reflex

Yeah, since you can easily hear armor pickup sounds from anywhere on the map the skill of tracking items you don't control becomes completely robotic. Hear sound, check timer, add or subtract 25. It's no wonder that people are using scripts for it. Delaying pickups to throw off your opponent's timing doesn't work because it's incredibly obvious when you've picked up an armor and when you haven't.

They should greatly reduce the range you can hear pickup sounds from so that you can't hear them from across the map, even if you've swapped out the sound files.

Fastidious likes this