Jaguar

What do you want for race mode?

19 posts in this topic

I'd like this post to be a sort of 'master list' of all the things the race community would like to be implemented. I know the devs are aware of some of these, but I thought it would be helpful to them and us to have all ideas and suggestions in one place. So I shall list them here, others can reply, and I'll update this original post. Feel free to tag them as 'critical' or 'would be nice' or whatever :P For now I'm going to type them off the top of my head, asking people in #racing 

Visibility

Option to toggle player models on and off. Translucency option would be nice too.

Ghosts

Race against your own personal best time. Racing against other people's ghosts might be frowned upon as it will reveal routes, but personally i think this would be nice. You can see other people's routes easily enough by spectating them in game, and you'll notice other's routes as they pass you by in game as well.

Leaderboard system

We know that since the training update, the framework for this is in place, and modders have let us access the database so we can see our times. Crucially, it would be nice if times could be uploaded to this database as and when records are set, instead of at the end of the round. Default timelimit for race is 60 minutes which makes this quite annoying, so community race servers with custom timelimits are a must. Which leads me on to...

Timelimit

Ability to vote for this would be nice, either by defining a time or just having a selection to choose from. Once people don't have to worry about waiting until the end of the round for their new personal best to be saved, it'd be nice to be able to vote for al onger timelimit for thos maps that are longer, and shorter ones for the short maps so it doesn't feel quite so grindy. Let us vote!

Map editor related stuff

People have mentioned 'slick' surfaces, which would be fun. I also think a high friction surface for mapmakers to choose from would be fun as well, especially for climb maps. Could be fun to test anyway. Also official support for checkpoints and split times.

Let me know what I've missed and what you would like to see for this most awesome of game modes!

bej, Daan, /fragile and 1 other like this

A load/save checkpoint system for position, angle and velocity. Pretty crucial for routing and optimizing.

bej and Daan like this

Sorted by priority:

1. Wallbug. My issues with race changed a lot during a year of racing, but this was ALWAYS annoying. You can't actually touch walls in reflex race. That is super uncool for players and cripples map making a lot, as every brush that isn't a rectangular cuboid is going to be a problem on slightly larger maps.
  2. Lightmaps. I know the community workaround for avoiding huge lightmaps is now public knowledge, but anyhow, there should be an official solution, too (even if it's simply allowing map uploads without lightmaps).
  3. Leaderboards. Leaderboards need to distinguish game modes (low gravity) and weapons used. The hashes for recognising changed maps are broken too and need fixing. Also, records should be uploaded after you set them, not at the end of the round.

Bonus-Stuff in no particular order:

• Triggers and movers for more creative map making. It would actually be nice to have scripting possibilities for the game logic.
  • Higher visibility range could be nicer for simple, but large, outdoor maps (like rdk-18, radiantfinal, etc.)
  • Textures would be cool for race, because they give you a better depth perception than flat surfaces, and are also easier to use than meshes (and I think they also look better from far away than meshes).
Daan, doombro, bej and 2 others like this

storing the ghosts for like #1, #25, #100 etc and giving players access to them while playing would be a cool way for people to progress at a map. it would be way more intuitive than playing a map then going on youtube and watching the world record and trying to replicate it

Daan and bej like this

Kawumm has listed the major primary issues that are needed before anything else. And there are greater and more important ideas before me. Otherwise:

Backwards runs.
I would love to have a second leaderboard list for doing the maps backwards, you should be able to do the run backwards whilst your friends are doing a normal forward run. It would double the longevity of a maps life and interest.

Woeste Wessel and Daan like this

4 hours ago, bej said:

Kawumm has listed the major primary issues that are needed before anything else. And there are greater and more important ideas before me. Otherwise:

Backwards runs.
I would love to have a second leaderboard list for doing the maps backwards, you should be able to do the run backwards whilst your friends are doing a normal forward run. It would double the longevity of a maps life and interest.

A lot of maps probably aren't possible to run from finish line to start, but yeah that could be fun :D

Daan likes this

For those that played any Gran Turismo... yall already know what Im about to say !!!

LICENSE SYSTEM

License system like GT would be sooo dope.  I think in GT it was like D class ---> C , B, A and then S class.  Might be a nice single player mode for Reflex -  just have a handful of maps that have certain times you must get for each license.  

You could even run tournaments in Race mode like "A Class only" "S class only" etc.  But yea I think that would be fun to be licensed in Race :)

lolograde, Furioness, Luft and 2 others like this

1 hour ago, wrjthe said:

For those that played any Gran Turismo... yall already know what Im about to say !!!

LICENSE SYSTEM

License system like GT would be sooo dope.  I think in GT it was like D class ---> C , B, A and then S class.  Might be a nice single player mode for Reflex -  just have a handful of maps that have certain times you must get for each license.  

You could even run tournaments in Race mode like "A Class only" "S class only" etc.  But yea I think that would be fun to be licensed in Race :)

Or like in Trackmania, where you get medals. I think there was also a special one for having the world record. :D

Daan, wrjthe and Jaguar like this

- Race timer to reset when you die. Would be convenient for maps with a lobby room.

- Save/Load/Backup bind options which still keep the timer running single-segment style, would be useful for the type of maps with back and forth elements/risks. Backup would be reverting back to previous save point in case you inserted a shitty save. 

- bind distinction for race/training modes, like theres bind re, bind game, bind me etc.. Could be bind rt for example

- Noclip mode basically same as editor mode, but without the editing. For online servers where you want to give players freestyle skipping, but not the temptation of destroying the map. Race timer should also obviously reset along with this. This could also have the benefit of retaining game binds instead of swapping over to map editor binds.

- Brushes that can change player specific physics cvars, one or multiple at a time. For example gravity or friction. 

- And speaking of friction, slick surfaces.

EDIT:

Triggers and movers for more creative map making. It would actually be nice to have scripting possibilities for the game logic.

Would also be nice to have some unique physics effects on them, like horizontal/vertical lift jumps. Regular gameplay could benefit from this as well.

Daan likes this

I really hope to see some love or Race in 1.2.

Race community is still very active but race mode was always abandoned. 

Most of above ideas are very cool, but I think these are essential and desperately needed:

• Other players visibility on/off (climb maps are insane to play when other people are in same server)
  • Leaderboard's implementation (brandon did amazing, but official is what we need (also whole system spine seems like done))
  • Triggers and movers (We have targets in training, maybe just enable them in race)

I've made google form poll for most important features to be added in nearest update:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe7bd239T6pBxe-dFuzdtsduos2VpDhPLVmv9K76iQkIBM7Ag/viewform?usp=sf_link

Still <3 devs

Daan, Jaguar and NicholasWalters like this

i need to preface that i know nothing about race and my movement is depressingly bad.

i have ran across only one race map i really liked, and yes i'm going to disappoint you again because i do not remember the name.

BUT, that is not actually important. What i liked was that you could beat the map with standard vanilla movement, but you could do much better with CPM movement. Which actually gave me an incentive to get better. 

Daan likes this

15 hours ago, Sky said:

i need to preface that i know nothing about race and my movement is depressingly bad.

i have ran across only one race map i really liked, and yes i'm going to disappoint you again because i do not remember the name.

BUT, that is not actually important. What i liked was that you could beat the map with standard vanilla movement, but you could do much better with CPM movement. Which actually gave me an incentive to get better. 

14 hours ago, lolograde said:

@Sky it was probably Mustard Tiger, arguably the greatest race map of all times. 

Yeah, unfortunately the race community kind of caters to itself so few maps are easily completed by beginners with no knowledge of strafejumping, bhopping, circlejumps, etc... only a few maps qualified for my 'easy maps' server rotation. The vast majority of maps are also full of gaps, which I bitch about regularly :) They have their place of course, but it's quite limiting for new players.

Daan and lolograde like this

>Preventing accelmeter scores from being uploaded to leaderboards.

I'll just move the topic here from discord and make it short.

As the title says; that way we'd have a fair competitive scene without punishing new players that still want to use it.

Daan, Jaguar and lolograde like this

19 minutes ago, htprankster said:

>Preventing accelmeter scores from being uploaded to leaderboards.

I'll just move the topic here from discord and make it short.

As the title says; that way we'd have a fair competitive scene without punishing new players that still want to use it.

Hard to detect when an accelmeter widget is being used though, unfortunately. Not sure how it could be done.

Daan likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Jaguar said:

Hard to detect when an accelmeter widget is being used though, unfortunately. Not sure how it could be done.

Doesn't Reflex already keep track of active addons/widgets? Then it's a matter of keeping workshop curated and also making sure you can't have an add-on/widget enabled that's not available on workshop.

Incidentally, I agree w prankster.

Edited by lolograde
Daan likes this

2 hours ago, Jaguar said:

Brandon suggested hiding a few global variables like player's x y z and speed since accelmeter needs those to work.

I'd say to give the player an on/off safe mode button or whatever to enable those variables, if off then no record would be saved.

Daan and lolograde like this

A lof of good suggestions are listed here. For race I'd most like:

1. Fix getting stuck in walls

2. More map editor features

3. Official leaderboards or at least the ability to save times before round end

4. More triggers

Kawumm likes this