Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HaraldQuake

light leaks and lighting tips

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys.

Can somebody give me some instructions on how to avoid light leaks? I would also like to know how to make the most quality lightmap.. And in general I need some tips how to use dynamic lights, reflection probes, glowing textures and related stuff in a performant and clean quality way.

Atm my lightmap looks rather bugged.

hmm... r_lm_probe_seperation and dev_nolight don't seem to exist anymore.. How to eliminate lightleaks? Is there a way to set lightmap resolution? :/

What do ReflectionProbes do? The Wiki seems to be outdated.

11 minutes ago, HaraldQuake said:

How to eliminate lightleaks? Is there a way to set lightmap resolution? :/

I believe you need brushes at least 64u-96u thick to prevent light leaks. I've also been told to avoid setting the sun at hard angles to walls. In other words, keep the sun's position mostly high-up in the sky or disable it.

18 minutes ago, HaraldQuake said:

Is there a way to set lightmap resolution? :/

Not that I'm aware of.

Although sometimes I wonder if the way the lightmap is built depends on what your current settings are. Like, if you're using a really low res and gfx options when you build the LM, does that have an impact on the quality of the LM? I don't know the answer to this question, but it might be worthwhile to experiment. 

14 minutes ago, HaraldQuake said:

What do ReflectionProbes do? The Wiki seems to be outdated.

The reflection probes make a sample of the area they are placed in for creating reflections on surfaces. I'm not very savvy on all the details, but I believe many materials have various degrees of reflections, even ones that do not appear reflective do rely on the reflection probes a fair bit. I've been told that you want to space these out wherever the light levels differ and fairly incrementally so that you get good reflection results. 

You can check out the way the light probes are distributed in maps like Catalyst or Pocket Infinity for an idea of how to use them well. 

3 hours ago, lolograde said:

Although sometimes I wonder if the way the lightmap is built depends on what your current settings are. Like, if you're using a really low res and gfx options when you build the LM, does that have an impact on the quality of the LM? I don't know the answer to this question, but it might be worthwhile to experiment. 

It doesn't

After building the lightmap, use r_lm_showprobes 1 to see where the lightprobes are (they are on a 64u grid). This helps you understand how lighting gets applied to the walls and how to block light from certain areas.