Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jane

Will we get an editor focused update.

5 posts in this topic

So I have been mapping race maps since Christmas now after coming from q3 and warsow.

Somethings I really love about the editor are the obvious things like editing and testing spacing with out having to build the map then load the game and so on.

But I think a lot of us are starting to peak on here. I mean we have what, like 5 textures? (recolouring doesn't count) a fairly nice but also growing old effects (objects) list, basically 0 actual effects that are not all hidden away, but more on that in a moment. 

The sad thing is you used to have textures way back and you trashed them for what? The whole flat picmip looking game that only is useful to the duel players. 

Can we even get those textures back?

Can we please get some real textures to work with, more objects to play with and add the actual effects you have hidden away like snow falling in to the content browser. 

You will ofc need to enable them again cause you for what ever reason made them invisible not long ago only making maps look even more boring.

Some other things that should to be looked at. 

Posting maps with out a light map should be a check box not a hack job work around. 

The crashing that can happen with moving objects, verts, and sometimes even from just trying to save.

Cross map prefabs.

And even though you never will, the sticky wall bug.

I love the game but can we get some more mapping love anytime this year?

Grybzt, drowntheemo, Kawumm and 2 others like this

Regarding textures, why not more meshes/themes? My personal opinion is that the lack of textures gives the game a unique visual style and identity compared to other games. That unique identity can be explored further and I think there's been a lot of neat ideas in the cosmetics thread. 

I agree, though. I think there's room for improvement in the editor. I think it has been mentioned elsewhere, but obviously movers/triggers would be a really nice addition. The previous roadmap also included new particles and liquids effects. Other things like slick (low/no friction material) would be nice as well. 

For race mode, specifically, besides movers/triggers, I think a really nice addition would be to expand the draw distance (or eliminate the visual plane culling completely?). I don't know if the existing limit is software or hardware related, but being able to see the entire race map is very nice and useful for race mode. Especially on maps where you're going quite fast, it helps to be able to see further. 

wrjthe likes this

See the issues with all the textures being flat/plain is not only being hard on the eyes when moving at speeds, but also some textures are just awful. Like lava, the old lava was great, now be have a flat colour that huts you. 

Also when making large floors in race maps you ether need to manually break up all the flooring to keep it visually sound, or use the dev grid that looks awful.

one option is to add a "real" version to all of the texture types they have at the moment. Stone, wood, lava, dirt, brick and so on and then just added a simple or detailed option in the graphics to toggle between the style we have at the moment and the new stuff, how ever that could make old makes look bad if the mappers didn't texture correctly.

So i'm still more in favour of just adding stand alone detailed textures.

Also yes to slick. 

Triggers and moving plats would all be great to have but I assume more work than they can be bothered to put in. 

It seems like the freedom to colorize meshes freely is pretty well received, so what I'm curious about is why the devs haven't approached similar freedom with some patterned textures as well. Some of those metal floor, bricks and tiles might as well just be 2D textures with some light/bump/gloss maps to go along with them, to give them that fake 3D look. And they could easily still follow the same aesthetic look with simplistic textures. 

These currently existing "mesh textures" just looks awful at even close distance, because you can't mipmap them and performance takes an unnecessary hit as well. Not only that, but they are also way less flexible than 2D textures would be. You sometimes have to go to ridiculous lengths to cover up excess parts of the meshes that don't fit your area of choice. With 2D textures you'd just have to cut or scale. 

Kawumm likes this

Posted (edited)

I'd like to see a preset clip brush built into each effect.

One of the main problems i've run into with trying to use the effects is that I'm never sure how I should arrange the clipping. Say I want to place a barrel. I can't exactly make a circular brush, so should I just make it a hexagon? Octagon? Dodecahedron?

If there were a preset option to just bypass this step entirely, I'd use effects more often. It would also help standardize what each effect means in terms of gameplay across maps. Make sure the preset clipping is optional, though, to allow mappers the freedom to use it or not use it.

As long as I'm at it, I'd like to also see an option on each jump pad brush to remain visible. Back when they were always visible, people got really creative with how they disguised it. It would also be nice for dev-texture only maps, given it fits the art style, and it's nice to be able to see where the jump pad is exactly during gameplay (testing) without needing to cobble together some effect BS.

Edited by king
thought of another point