Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tac

ColdFire - TDM2V2/3V3/FFA

12 posts in this topic

Haha so you did put it under then :D You monster !

Seriously this map is pure sex in 2v2 and 3v3, go check it out !

/fragile likes this

It looks very cool. Nice architecture, lots of rail angle, fast movements and jumps. I would like to play it, but unfortunately I don't know if I will get the opportunity, with such few players interested ....

nice map, looks like fun! good flow and flexibility!

you may consider some changes:

• perception of room depth could be greatly improved by adding visual floor separation
  • some routes are obstructed by low ceilings, lifting the first 64-128 units would increase the quality of life
  • some diagonal stairs are too steep (try regular 8x16 steps and rotate the set)
  • slime looks like water (not menacing)
  • slime at upper 50HP might cause more frustration than cure
  • those stones in the slime could be a tad bigger
  • there is a hole at that diagonal edge next to bolt and grate

however, great stuff, keep it up! :thumbsup:

now it's just up to the pouting kids to come back and start playing and having fun! :blink:

Goulox and lolograde like this

2 hours ago, Greed said:

I agree.

Greed likes this

4 hours ago, Greed said:

• perception of room depth could be greatly improved by adding visual floor separation
  • some routes are obstructed by low ceilings, lifting the first 64-128 units would increase the quality of life
  • some diagonal stairs are too steep (try regular 8x16 steps and rotate the set)
  • slime at upper 50HP might cause more frustration than cure
  • there is a hole at that diagonal edge next to bolt and grate

Cool ! Ty for these notes. I'll see what I can do !

Greed likes this

On 15/06/2017 at 2:01 PM, Greed said:

nice map, looks like fun! good flow and flexibility!

• perception of room depth could be greatly improved by adding visual floor separation => It should be better now. Tell me what you think.
  • some routes are obstructed by low ceilings, lifting the first 64-128 units would increase the quality of life => under the stairs (in the middle room) it was indeed a little too low
  • some diagonal stairs are too steep (try regular 8x16 steps and rotate the set) => Done
  • slime looks like water (not menacing) => I can't find another color which doesn't make all look ugly. I'll stay on this one for now. Just imagine it is water, but very hot.
  • slime at upper 50HP might cause more frustration than cure => You can get it without touching the floor, so I think it's okay : )
  • those stones in the slime could be a tad bigger => Done. I moved some pads. Now you can get more easily from one side to the other without touching the floor.
  • there is a hole at that diagonal edge next to bolt and grate => Thank you :)

Greed and /fragile like this

8 hours ago, Tac said:

I can't find another color which doesn't make all look ugly. I'll stay on this one for now. Just imagine it is water, but very hot

Put steam effects around the water?

2 hours ago, lolograde said:

Put steam effects around the water?

I can't do it for performance issue. Some players already told me that they got low fps in some parts of the map.

On 12.6.2017 at 7:22 PM, Tac said:

Any feedback is welcome, mostly about the items balance..

The structure of the map is way too much of a maze imo. Now idk if you want to go for a layout that suits "competitive tdm" or just a fun map to run around and shoot each other a bit. Since you asked for balance I guess I can tell you that besides the number of armors you use in your map everything is off. And I am not trying to be offensive here.

Tdm is about weapon controll and on a map where you can move from A to B really fast in a ton of ways makes it rather random. It will probably play FFA-ish since it's hard to predict where people would go. There is connections, jumps, stairs and jumppads everywhere. You should focus more on defined areas, there are lots of QL maps you could check which are way more "room based" as I like to call it. Your map feels more like a giant room with messy routes all over the place which leads to less controlled games in theory.

While variation in height are recommended you go too crazy with it for my taste, having stairs down and then up again on a ~256 units wide L-shaped walkway where the height difference is not even there so it connects to anything is a bad thing I would say. At lower RL there are weird holes in the floor with stairs and a ramp which just makes movement more painfull and messes with the flow.

Also using visuals to mark areas of the map would help. Right now everything looks the same.

My statement is just an opinion btw since you can't messure how "good" a map is and I have not played it yet.The impressions I got from playing and mapping for tdm make me feel like you are pretty new to it tho.

I did one game in FFA mode and it was cool I must say. The carnage grab is quite fun when contested. When you have it,  it's cool to run fast around the map with it, but also it's not too op cause you can be railed easily.

6 hours ago, Warlord Wossman said:

The structure of the map is way too much of a maze imo. Now idk if you want to go for a layout that suits "competitive tdm"

It's not that I don't want it to be competitive, but it's more about that my vision of the game doesn't suit with it. Globally, I get your analysis and I understand in which direction I should go to make it less casual but the fact is that I like all these ramps, jumppad and paths. FFA, ATDM or casual TDM, if the map is pleasant to some players, it's all fine for me.

I asked for feedbacks about items balance because if I can improve the tdm gameplay on it by just moving some items or making small adjustments, I'll be pleased to do it.

8 hours ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Also using visuals to mark areas of the map would help. Right now everything looks the same.

Yep, I should work on this! But in my head, all is so clear that I don't feel the need : p

lolograde likes this