Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
igotyoupham

Should Reflex Arena be free?

19 posts in this topic

So, nearly everybody that plays Reflex Arena enough to understand the game agrees that the game is quite close to perfection, but it's lacking a playerbase. What if Reflex Arena went free and had weapon skins like Quake Champions does? Perhaps there can be consolation in the form of skins or colors exclusive to only the people that paid for reflex like the current playerbase. What do you guys think?

NicholasWalters likes this

I have a hunch (slight one!) that v1.2 will be part of going F2P, with cosmetic only shenanigans and maybe unlocking other cool stuff, I can't think what off the top of my head. But I trust that there would be no pay to win mechanics or bullshittery. If the devs are going in that direction, then I think they're putting a lot of work into systems that make it easier for new players to learn the game. Training mode was nice, but not enough, and the community didn't generate as much 'training' content as I thought, probably because as a system it's not really enough to help very new players learn the game. Not in a comprehensive way anyway.

Anyway, just speculating. If the devs got reasonable revenue from people buying cosmetic items, then f2p would be a strong consideration I think. I know people frown on it, but it's a very effective way of getting players, and sure 80% of them might leave after only afew hours of play if that, but doubtless hundreds if not thousands of people would enjoy the game, play it with their friends, learn together, and enjoy what the game has to offer.

I remain hopeful :D

Grybzt, yakcyll~ and fogelmensch like this

Short answer: yes.

Longer one:

We don't know how much income Reflex generates. If it still generates enough income to finance development, it's a matter how much more development you want/need before going for bigger masses via f2p. As in: if you barely make money from it anyway, why not go f2p and hope to get a bigger player base and generate revenue through cosmetics.

At this point, I would say no. What i'd actually prefer is this:

- f2p version with very limited features: just duel + 1 team-mode matchmaking

- no server browser or other modes

- cosmetics (and Reflex would need a different system + way more cosmetics)

(buy full game for other features n shit)

Another thing about cosmetics: in my opinion, this art style highly limits Reflex options with cosmetics, due to the fact there are no textures and therefore no simple skins.

Just now, Jaguar said:

But Reflex is a better game :D

Oh yes, definitely :wub:

I think you're right about 1.2 being a Free-2-Play patch though! The last time devs said something on Discord was about progress being slow because there's too much work for one artist - might indicate that they are trying to create more cosmetics to profit off of if the game were to go towards the F2P model.

Not sure what you guys are saying with Toxikk. The move to f2p increased the playerbase of Toxikk by the factor of 6 (before: average 5 players; after: average 30 players). If that isn't successful, then what is? Do you expect the switch of the payment model can realistically turn a 20 player game into a 5000 player game?

That being said. Toxikk's base price was significantly higher than that of Reflex, when it became f2p (I think way above $10, even on sales), so I wouldn't expect the same impact for Reflex.

Whatever changes to the payment model are made, they are probably only going to play a minor role when it comes to population of Reflex.

HaraldQuake likes this

F2P nowadays doesn't mean it will make miracles.

Amount of F2P games is staggering so you won't blow anyone's face with that.

Also take in mind what kind of audience and issues F2P would bring, it might not be pretty.

fogelmensch likes this

I'm coming from games like TF2 and Overwatch where capture points are a big factor in terms of objective victory. What if Reflex had that, a symmetrical map with a capture point system for a mode? That would be a lot more simple than thinking about where exactly the opponent will spawn depending on where you are and such. I feel like that would be more simple to adapt to for newcomers.

c00lcurt likes this

17 hours ago, igotyoupham said:

I'm coming from games like TF2 and Overwatch where capture points are a big factor in terms of objective victory. What if Reflex had that, a symmetrical map with a capture point system for a mode? That would be a lot more simple than thinking about where exactly the opponent will spawn depending on where you are and such. I feel like that would be more simple to adapt to for newcomers.

There is a King of the Hill mode referenced in the game's sound files, which were added in the last patch - probably coming soon, I'd imagine!

c00lcurt, Greed and lolograde like this

21 hours ago, Grybzt said:

F2P nowadays doesn't mean it will make miracles.

Amount of F2P games is staggering so you won't blow anyone's face with that.

Also take in mind what kind of audience and issues F2P would bring, it might not be pretty.

I would like to second this statement. 

There's a lot more to growing a healthy scene than giving away your game for free, althought it might be a step in the right direction.

Fastidious and c00lcurt like this

no thank you.

reflex is a niche game. people who play it know what it is and why they want to play it. we do not need, and cannot afford to have, people who feel entitled just because they downloaded a free game. who will disrupt team balance and when asked to play in the appropriate server or to spec will tell you "fuck you i do what i want". 

and on top of that, people who burn their account on free hacks. 

let's make on thing clear, we're not shooting for 100k active users here. reflex will never have the appeal of large-team TDM games because it's not built to be that. what we want is to have most esports players own reflex and occasionally playing this "elite" game when they are bored of their socially-oriented FPS, be it Overwatch, Paladins, TF, or whatever. 

another thing is that population alone has no meaning. if you bring in 50 new players to a game that has 10 active players, you didnt increase the population by 500%, you polluted the population to a state where those 10 do not want to play. 

If you game is Halo, then yea, anyone who logs in is an active player. if your game is a promode Quake clone, then a 15yo controller-using kid is not an active player, he's a nuisance.

What makes games great is the core community. As rapha once said, "quake is great because it has great players". having a solid core community has appeal to new players who want to become the same as those players. if you start to bring players in who have more interest in collecting skins than aim, then you are removing the one thing that might interest your target audience, and pushing out people who take the sport seriously.

Goulox, Fastidious and Zvarri like this

I don't think going F2P would be a great idea. 10$ is a fair price for a game that offers a free map editor and addon support. I agree with Sky on some points... I think the pricetag can be a small hurdle for banned cheaters who need new accounts.

7 hours ago, Sky said:

let's make on thing clear, we're not shooting for 100k active users here. reflex will never have the appeal of large-team TDM games because it's not built to be that. what we want is to have most esports players own reflex and occasionally playing this "elite" game when they are bored of their socially-oriented FPS, be it Overwatch, Paladins, TF, or whatever. 

Reflex wouldn't benefit from F2P currently because of this.  What would all these F2P players play?  Duel?  Maybe a few would but it doesn't have mass appeal.  Reflex doesn't have any stellar team modes to anchor F2P.

hArD_a$$_nIqQa likes this

Pricing game 75% on sale every other week may be enough. Its too early addimg reflex free game on steam.

Grybzt likes this

No, Reflex shouldn't go f2p.

Anyone who could have an interest in Reflex already have it. Going f2p won't change a thing except bring in more "nuisance".

Although, if strong team gamemodes with strong teamplay mechanics were in, it would be something to discuss.

On 8/15/2017 at 11:31 AM, Sky said:

no thank you.

reflex is a niche game. people who play it know what it is and why they want to play it. we do not need, and cannot afford to have, people who feel entitled just because they downloaded a free game. who will disrupt team balance and when asked to play in the appropriate server or to spec will tell you "fuck you i do what i want". 

and on top of that, people who burn their account on free hacks. 

another thing is that population alone has no meaning. if you bring in 50 new players to a game that has 10 active players, you didnt increase the population by 500%, you polluted the population to a state where those 10 do not want to play. 

If you game is Halo, then yea, anyone who logs in is an active player. if your game is a promode Quake clone, then a 15yo controller-using kid is not an active player, he's a nuisance.

What makes games great is the core community. As rapha once said, "quake is great because it has great players". having a solid core community has appeal to new players who want to become the same as those players. if you start to bring players in who have more interest in collecting skins than aim, then you are removing the one thing that might interest your target audience, and pushing out people who take the sport seriously.

Rapha,You and Your friends are the reason why this genre is dead. You guys are just unknown nobodies, Quake doesnt need you, never did.