Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tehace

thcdm6 - deathmorning

12 posts in this topic

Awesome layout.  It all starts with the layout and this one is really good for 1v1.  This is a competition level layout.  Just getting better every day. I thought your maps were getting really good but this one is definitely taking it up a notch.  Only thing I don't like is the placement of the cubby above the lava and walkway.  There's no where to jump to other than down or back to the ledge.  Hurts flow a bit and makes you a big target for not enough reward.

tehace likes this

Awesome layout.  It all starts with the layout and this one is really good for 1v1.  This is a competition level layout.  Just getting better every day. I thought your maps were getting really good but this one is definitely taking it up a notch.  Only thing I don't like is the placement of the cubby above the lava and walkway.  There's no where to jump to other than down or back to the ledge.  Hurts flow a bit and makes you a big target for not enough reward.

Thanks man. I really enjoy the game and being able to make my own maps is just great.

As for the ledge there is 50H on it I consider it high reward :) I usually not place 1x50H because imo they refill the damages player in control by a considerable amount and are easy to deny completely as opposed to 2x25H, it was a a conscious decision to put it there, yes if you want to pick it up you have to loose a tiny bit of time and go out of your way but that was exactly what I intended. At least now you have the reasoning behind it.

Im really disappointed nobody seem to drop into lava so far ;p

Im really disappointed nobody seem to drop into lava so far ;p

I Actually checked that out before. By the time I tried it out I couldn't get anyone to play it but map looks really nice. Build 29 lava change will make that dive really hard :P

As far as item placements go it seems alright without having tested it properly.

Lava you cant escape is a bad idea.

oh well have you dropped into it yourself or just seen the screenshot as it seems the second option is true. Thing is you dont have to go by the lava its just where the RG is and its probably the fastest way around but you can go around on top levels just fine if you dont want to risk getting into it, not sure why is that a bad thing.

Consider the reason you don't see space maps get competitive play.

It is overly punishing, and way too easy to abuse.

Some people like hazards(including instant death) even in duel maps and it becomes a new element that both players can use to their advantage. Main reason why you don't see space maps in competitive play is because generally they are flat and you cannot break line of sight in them(mostly).

Telefrags are "overly punishing" too but people are bringing that up less than dying to void. All of these things can be abused to some extent, heck you can even abuse a plain wall or stairs in a map if it is well placed.

Instant death traps have no place in a competitive map, regardless of if you have to go near it or not.  I can think of one 1v1 map, from quakeworld, that has instant death lava and thats it.  No maps utilize instant death traps because they are poor design.  And there is a massive difference between an environmental hazard (the pools of slime on toxicity) to an insta kill (longest yard go to rail).  Tele frags are an entirely different beast as well, you cant reliably tele frag someone, but just giving someone a push off the edge?  Thats fairly easy.

so do you consider this lava and the teleport at the bottom of the pit as a death trap you can't escape? If you're 100/0 you'll die when dropped otherwise it will take like 80-100 armour before you go to the bottom. The pit can be reworked in many ways, like lowering the depth of the lava so you can just jump out of it. Im still not sure about it as its not mendatory to go there except for if you want to get the RG or just move to the other side of the map the fastest way on the other hand it limits your ways out in certain situations. I think this lava you can drop to but get out with some punishment is different than the void you can be pushed to and just fall off without the ability to recover.