newborn

Dedicated Server Guide

Question

Our Windows dedicated server binaries are now available through Steam. The recommended way to set up a dedicated server is:

Ports:

• Reflex uses ports 25787 and 25797 so open/forward them. 
  • If you want to run multiple servers on the same box, you will need to forward 2 additional ports per server (one for the game, one for the steam connection)

Installing and updating with steamcmd:

• Grab steamcmd from this page (which also has full instructions on its usage).
  • You can install / update the server with: steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir ./reflex_ds +app_update 329740 +quit
  • Once installed, edit the dedicatedserver.cfg file -- most of the values are pretty self explanatory but the key ones are sv_hostname, sv_gameport and sv_steamport.
  • Since we don't specify countries yet, its nice to append [AU], [uS], [EU] etc to your sv_hostname.
Running multiple servers:
  • The easiest way to run multiple servers is to simply send command line arguments to override the values in dedicated.cfg
  • An example of this would be: reflexded.exe +sv_hostname FooBar Server #2 +sv_gameport 25788 +sv_steamport 25798

Recording replays (Not recommended):

• Replay recording is deliberately broken for servers right now but it's just a missing path. If you want to record replays, create the folder /replays
  • We currently don't offer any way to limit the number of replays stored on a server and they'll happily chew up your entire drive if you don't delete them occasionally.
  • Right now, there is no way for players to actually download replays from servers. The most common solution right now is to run a webserver that serves the contents of /replays. 
  • Recording replays is really not recommended right now.

Running the test branch:

Grab the test branch through steamcmd and run as usual: steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir ./reflex_ds_test +app_update 329740 -beta test +quit 

LoNeZiLLa, Gangland, Skytoon and 1 other like this

116 answers to this question

Well the last reply talking about Linux binaries is from the 1st February.

Any ETA about :

1. Linux server binaries
  2. Linux client binaries

Thank you !

Maxoor likes this

On 4.6.2016 at 7:11 PM, Mangemongen said:

I can't seem to change maps using the workshop. At all. Any ideas? sv_steam is 1. Otherwise everything seems to work. The workshop load and all, I just can't use it. It just goes back to the map that was on.

make sure your dns is setup

Mangemongen likes this

• Replay recording is deliberately broken for servers right now but it's just a missing path. If you want to record replays, create the folder /replays

Where do I make this folder? 

EDIT: Hm there's already a folder which contains a few replays. Not any recent ones though, weird.

Am I missing something ?

$ ./steamcmd.sh +login anonymous +force_install_dir ./reflex_ds +app_update 329740 +quit
Redirecting stderr to '/home/steam/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
[  0%] Checking for available updates...
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam Console Client © Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --
Loading Steam API...OK.

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Logged in OK
Waiting for license info...OK
 Update state (0x3) reconfiguring, progress: 0.00 (0 / 0)
 Update state (0x61) downloading, progress: 6.31 (1048576 / 16627778)
Success! App '329740' fully installed.

$ ls -laR reflex_ds
reflex_ds:
total 16272
drwx------ 3 steam steam     4096 Nov  5 15:50 .
drwx------ 6 steam steam     4096 Nov  5 15:51 ..
drwx------ 4 steam steam     4096 Nov  5 15:50 8141616a3b827cc5d7faf23c35dccf198ef65b83
-rwx------ 1 steam steam 16627778 Nov  5 15:50 steamclient.so

reflex_ds/8141616a3b827cc5d7faf23c35dccf198ef65b83:
total 20
drwx------ 4 steam steam 4096 Nov  5 15:50 .
drwx------ 3 steam steam 4096 Nov  5 15:50 ..
-rw------- 1 steam steam  479 Nov  5 15:50 appmanifest_329740.acf
drwx------ 2 steam steam 4096 Nov  5 15:50 downloading
drwx------ 2 steam steam 4096 Nov  5 15:50 temp

reflex_ds/8141616a3b827cc5d7faf23c35dccf198ef65b83/downloading:
total 8
drwx------ 2 steam steam 4096 Nov  5 15:50 .
drwx------ 4 steam steam 4096 Nov  5 15:50 ..

reflex_ds/8141616a3b827cc5d7faf23c35dccf198ef65b83/temp:
total 8
drwx------ 2 steam steam 4096 Nov  5 15:50 .
drwx------ 4 steam steam 4096 Nov  5 15:50 ..

Thanks for the guide Newborn it worked well!

AQ now have our first UK Dedicated Server! You can find us in the server browser or via ip 193.200.100.25:25787 Right now theres no settings at all, but eventually we will have auto restart and other things as they are needed, make sure to check out our website at http://www.anquer-quare.com/

it's working here too. First BR server.

There is anyway to create a map rotation?

And how i can kick someone from my server?

I've managed to get the server working on Ubuntu using WINE.

Using the linux SteamCMD did not work for obtaining the dedicated server files, I had to download them on my PC and then upload them to my server.

I installed WINE, then simply typed "wine reflexded.exe".

On the first run, it did not work and threw a bunch of errors.

Then I tried running it a second time (after not having changed anything), still a bunch of errors.

And magically, on the third run, still having changed nothing, it threw some errors but managed to start the server up. Seems to work fine.

Downloaded the files to my box via SteamCMD and getting the same result as KoLT, I don't see anything which I could run to start the server.

If you plan on running a server using wine on Linux you need an additional parameter to steamcmd:

steamcmd +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows +login anonymous +force_install_dir ./reflex_ds +app_update 329740 +quit

How do we run the server without using wine? The only file which was installed was the steamclient.so, just not sure how to start it from there.

I believe they only provided the server binaries for Windows.

Guess we will have to wait for linux binaries, because I don't really feel like using wine to run a server of an alpha game, this could lead to unexpected bugs I'd say.

CPU usage under via wine seems to be quite high as well. 3 players was like up to 50%. Xeon 1230v3.

In windows with 6 player and a i7 4930k the cpu usage was like 2-3%.

CPU usage under via wine seems to be quite high as well. 3 players was like up to 50%. Xeon 1230v3.

8 players use up about 25% on our server. Don't know the exact specs out of the top of my head right now.

8 players use up about 25% on our server. Don't know the exact specs out of the top of my head right now.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/885543/reflexds.png

That's 3 servers as you can see. All idle ..don't think there's anyone on them atm. Ubuntu 14.04.

( but i'm checking the CPU speed..and they are clocked down atm (its my webserver ... no gameserver settings done), setting CPU scaling to performance..will report back in 1 minute :P )

So, after preventing the cpu scaling: 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/885543/reflexds2.png

looks much better :).

Regards