newborn

Dedicated Server Guide

Question

Our Windows dedicated server binaries are now available through Steam. The recommended way to set up a dedicated server is:

Ports:

• Reflex uses ports 25787 and 25797 so open/forward them. 
  • If you want to run multiple servers on the same box, you will need to forward 2 additional ports per server (one for the game, one for the steam connection)

Installing and updating with steamcmd:

• Grab steamcmd from this page (which also has full instructions on its usage).
  • You can install / update the server with: steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir ./reflex_ds +app_update 329740 +quit
  • Once installed, edit the dedicatedserver.cfg file -- most of the values are pretty self explanatory but the key ones are sv_hostname, sv_gameport and sv_steamport.
  • Since we don't specify countries yet, its nice to append [AU], [uS], [EU] etc to your sv_hostname.
Running multiple servers:
  • The easiest way to run multiple servers is to simply send command line arguments to override the values in dedicated.cfg
  • An example of this would be: reflexded.exe +sv_hostname FooBar Server #2 +sv_gameport 25788 +sv_steamport 25798

Recording replays (Not recommended):

• Replay recording is deliberately broken for servers right now but it's just a missing path. If you want to record replays, create the folder /replays
  • We currently don't offer any way to limit the number of replays stored on a server and they'll happily chew up your entire drive if you don't delete them occasionally.
  • Right now, there is no way for players to actually download replays from servers. The most common solution right now is to run a webserver that serves the contents of /replays. 
  • Recording replays is really not recommended right now.

Running the test branch:

Grab the test branch through steamcmd and run as usual: steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir ./reflex_ds_test +app_update 329740 -beta test +quit 

LoNeZiLLa, xero, Gangland and 1 other like this

116 answers to this question

So.

Bought bunch of 4 packs and gave them away to co-workers (we have this LAN hour/two going on once per week // CS:Go, CoD1, Quake3, Bf3,... and now Reflex)

Managed to setup dedicated server, works on LAN + from Outside firm. Awesome near zero ping and all. 

Since thing is ~5v5 up to 8v8 slaughter fest whatever we kinda need bigger maps. And here is the question.

FFA/TDM is good and people are happy, but how the **** can I setup dedicated server to also run CTF mode in rotation. 

In default.rotation there is no mention of "ctf" mode :/ (Can someone expand original post with options we have? My GoogleFu seems to be failing on this issue)

Thanks.

EDIT:
Figured it out... had minimum players set and it was failing due that.

Tried "ctf ctf-monolith 2 16" (ctf seems to be valid gamemode argument) 
but was getting "server: no suitable map/mode found in rotation, stopping rotation" 

With "
ctf ctf-monolith 0 16" it works.

Edited by Sapa
Figured out the solution

I have port forwarded, and updated the server with steamcmd, yet nobody can connect to my server, help please? :c

I have port forwarded, and updated the server with steamcmd, yet nobody can connect to my server, help please? :c

​Get someone on the internet connect to the server via IP. "connect <IP>" in console. If that doesn't work you wither messed up the ports or have some firewall blocking connection.

If it works it should also mean the server should show up on the serverlist ingame. As long as sv_public is set to 1. Could take a couple of minutes for it to show up though.

Make sure you are forwarding the relevant ports both on tcp and udp. Make sure the settings on the server use those ports. It is possible to run server on non-default ports.

​Get someone on the internet connect to the server via IP. "connect <IP>" in console. If that doesn't work you wither messed up the ports or have some firewall blocking connection.

If it works it should also mean the server should show up on the serverlist ingame. As long as sv_public is set to 1. Could take a couple of minutes for it to show up though.

Make sure you are forwarding the relevant ports both on tcp and udp. Make sure the settings on the server use those ports. It is possible to run server on non-default ports.

​How do you check if the server is using both tcp and udp? I have told my friend the ip and he types it in just as you said and the screen goes gray, same with me.

sv_public is set to 1 and I have tried to connect after about 10 minutes and it still just has a grey screen, no luck

When you forward a port in most routers you have to declare if it should be tcp or udp or both. Some force you to make separate entries for it. Both are part of TCP/IP network protocol. UDP being a subset that focus on low latency, maximum throughput data. Hence why almost all games use UDP.

Sounds to me you don't have your portforwarding setup correctly. Alternatively the server is blocked by a firewall. These are things only you can check and fix unless you offer up more information. Unless you are using the wrong IP to connect to of course.

When you forward a port in most routers you have to declare if it should be tcp or udp or both. Some force you to make separate entries for it. Both are part of TCP/IP network protocol. UDP being a subset that focus on low latency, maximum throughput data. Hence why almost all games use UDP.

Sounds to me you don't have your portforwarding setup correctly. Alternatively the server is blocked by a firewall. These are things only you can check and fix unless you offer up more information. Unless you are using the wrong IP to connect to of course.

​I believe I did this correct, but I want to be 100% sure so here is a screenshot

sJilZ5G.png

​I believe I did this correct, but I want to be 100% sure so here is a screenshot

sJilZ5G.png

​Assuming BOTH is for both TCP and UDP, yes that looks right. Double check that it targets the correct internal IP. As in the IP of the server. Think that is what you blurred out. You don't have to fear sharing the IP's on your internal network. Those are only useful for you. 

If you can. Do check that you can connect to the server via local IP. That is assuming you are running it at home. There have been plenty of people I helped that forgot to let the server through the firewall. 

One thing you should do is reserve the IP of the server machine. Meaning even if you turn that machine of over night it will always get the same IP. If you don't it can get a different IP and then all the portforwarding don't work.

Midge likes this

​Assuming BOTH is for both TCP and UDP, yes that looks right. Double check that it targets the correct internal IP. As in the IP of the server. Think that is what you blurred out. You don't have to fear sharing the IP's on your internal network. Those are only useful for you. 

If you can. Do check that you can connect to the server via local IP. That is assuming you are running it at home. There have been plenty of people I helped that forgot to let the server through the firewall. 

One thing you should do is reserve the IP of the server machine. Meaning even if you turn that machine of over night it will always get the same IP. If you don't it can get a different IP and then all the portforwarding don't work.

​Thank you so much for your help, I was using the wrong IP to connect to the server (the one you get by typing ip in google) instead of the one that I port forwarded. My friend and I are happily dueling on my new dedicated server.

:)

MuNgLo likes this

​Okay it doesnt work anymore, that was a fluke. But now I can connect to my own server at least, even though he can't.

Here is the real picture http://prntscr.com/98eret

Edited by Midge

​Okay it doesnt work anymore, that was a fluke. But now I can connect to my own server at least, even though he can't.

Here is the real picture http://prntscr.com/98eret

​If it worked once but don't anymore it means something changed. Double check all the IP's. Most likely your server or your router have a new IP. If it all seems to be accurate restart the router. Cheap routers (usually the ones ISP's send out) can be a bit unreliable.

One thing that is a bit odd is the screenshot. Usually you don't have to fill in an external IP. Reason being that it doesn't matter. Everything incoming on the chosen ports should be forwarded. Doesn't matter at all what IP you are receiving the traffic on. What brand and model is that on?

​If it worked once but don't anymore it means something changed. Double check all the IP's. Most likely your server or your router have a new IP. If it all seems to be accurate restart the router. Cheap routers (usually the ones ISP's send out) can be a bit unreliable.

One thing that is a bit odd is the screenshot. Usually you don't have to fill in an external IP. Reason being that it doesn't matter. Everything incoming on the chosen ports should be forwarded. Doesn't matter at all what IP you are receiving the traffic on. What brand and model is that on?

​It is an Arris Touchstone SBG6782 (Motorola)

Edited by Midge

​It is an Arris Touchstone SBG6782 (Motorola)

​Had a look around and everything I can see at first glance uses the server machines IP as external IP to. Might be some weird translation or something. Calling it external IP is very easily confusing.

So in your screenshot above you should not actually enter the external IP but instead enter the servers local IP again. At least that is what it seems like. A lot of routers have their own way of making their interface hard to understand but this might be one of the great ones.

The one example I did find that did use the external IP was also having problem with getting others to connect.

​Had a look around and everything I can see at first glance uses the server machines IP as external IP to. Might be some weird translation or something. Calling it external IP is very easily confusing.

So in your screenshot above you should not actually enter the external IP but instead enter the servers local IP again. At least that is what it seems like. A lot of routers have their own way of making their interface hard to understand but this might be one of the great ones.

The one example I did find that did use the external IP was also having problem with getting others to connect.

​Yeah this isn't working either http://prntscr.com/99ch4k

​From what it says when I boot up the server it looks like I properly port forwarded

It says it can connect to game and steam servers http://prntscr.com/99pn9o

​From what it says when I boot up the server it looks like I properly port forwarded

It says it can connect to game and steam servers http://prntscr.com/99pn9o

​The only valid information that is relevant on that screenshot is the ports. Of course it can connect to steam as long as it has internet available. It doesn't mean that you can connect to the server at all. There is still lot of things outside the server program that can be wrong without the server making any indication of it. 

As long as you don't have an ISP with a special setup the fault should be on your side. Either software blocking the server, like a firewall. Or ports not forwarded correctly.

You being able to connect to the server via its local network IP means that it has to be the portforwarding. Alternative your friend that are useless :P Best approach is having more then one trying to connect if you really think you done it right. Just to minimize the risk of them doing it wrong.

​The only valid information that is relevant on that screenshot is the ports. Of course it can connect to steam as long as it has internet available. It doesn't mean that you can connect to the server at all. There is still lot of things outside the server program that can be wrong without the server making any indication of it. 

As long as you don't have an ISP with a special setup the fault should be on your side. Either software blocking the server, like a firewall. Or ports not forwarded correctly.

You being able to connect to the server via its local network IP means that it has to be the portforwarding. Alternative your friend that are useless :P Best approach is having more then one trying to connect if you really think you done it right. Just to minimize the risk of them doing it wrong.

​reflexded.exe was not allowed on private networks in my firewall, I havent tried it yet but im pretty sure this is going to be the fix.

Hi, I'm new to Reflex and the Forums. I noticed that this post was written a year ago, so I was wondering if I could get some updated info (if it exists).

First off, I went through this whole walkthrough, and I *was* able to create a server for my brother and myself to play on. But for him to actually connect, he has to use the command console and type in my server's (my computer's) IP. In other words, the server doesn't show up on the server list. is this normal?

This brings me to my second question. Before coming to the Reflex forums, I had been trying to use the in-game "create server" option so I could play with my brother. I tried all kinds of different things, but the server (again) never showed up on the server list. To be clear, we even tried waiting for 10+ minutes for it to show up, I have both relevant ports forwarded on my PC, and I used all different kinds of setups (private, public, password, no password, etc...)

So, in short, is this thread mostly deprecated now that you have an in-game "create server" option? Is there a FAQ for using the in-game option? And how do I get my server to show up on the actual list of server list? (right now we're playing locally, and I doubt him typing in my computer's IP will be sufficient once he leaves, though maybe I'm wrong).

Oh, speaking of local play, is there currently a way to play using a wireless LAN?

Thanks a lot for the time.

9 hours ago, dare said:

is ffa mode only and custom map rotation available?

Custom map rotation is available and you can make it FFA only if you wish. However, you can always change the gamemode through the console with 'callvote mode'. I don't think you can lock the server to FFA only.

I downloaded SteamCMD and all. When I enter  steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir ./reflex_ds +app_update 329740 +quit It says it's an unknown command as seen here: 

869c0f73da.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)