Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yesman

Need to know how to map? Click here now!

15 posts in this topic

This thread is only for tutorials and such for level design and making maps in Reflex. Anything else should be directed towards their respective forums.

If you want to get started on mapping, the readme.htm file inside the Reflex Steam folder will tell you all the controls you need to know. It won't give you the most advanced guide, but it'll be a good way to get into the mapping process. After all, this is Early Access, so be patient as more advanced features come along the way. :)

If you aren't familiar with that location, right click on Reflex in Steam, go to Properties, Local Files, Browse Local Files, and you'll find the file there.

Have fun!

For more help, I would suggest looking through these posts as well:

Zita now has a in-depth guide to making maps in Reflex. Check it out here:

Really wish I knew why my maps end like this (https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdx0eirdlppij6a/2014-11-06_00016.jpg?dl=0) and how to use lava, the text file doesn't show you(tried making an effect, putting a lava texture on a brush, settings effect to that of lava, which I copied from cpm3).

Make a topic about it outside of this one. I'd rather this topic not get cluttered about questions, rather help on level design in general and how to use the editor.

Zita just posted a very in-depth guide to how to make maps in Reflex. I suggest you check it out (link will also be in the first post).

Zita likes this

If you want to get started on mapping, the readme.htm file inside the Reflex Steam folder will tell you all the controls you need to know. It won't give you the most advanced guide, but it'll be a good way to get into the mapping process. After all, this is Early Access, so be patient as more advanced features come along the way. :)

If you aren't familiar with that location, right click on Reflex in Steam, go to Properties, Local Files, Browse Local Files, and you'll find the file there.

Shouldn't the file be an html?

3D Realms article is from the perspective of a designer for single player levels not multi-player.  I'm sure you could find plenty of other better articles to link to.

3D Realms article is from the perspective of a designer for single player levels not multi-player.  I'm sure you could find plenty of other better articles to link to.

Well, it's more of a future sort of thing to put that article there, since the creators are planning on making single player a thing soon.

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or start a new thread, but I have a really basic question: for the sake of performance, is it generally better to minimize the number of different brushes, or to minimize the amount of unnecessary surface area?

For example, suppose I want to make a cross-shaped room surrounded by walls: is it better to make the floor a single square brush, with its corners hidden by the walls, or to make it from three different brushes so that the floor only exists where it will be visible?

Or is this not something I really need to worry about in a modern engine?

That would take some testing... I am guessing the large brush ceiling would be bad for lighting, since most of it would be "outside" and unseen, but would be lit by the skylight. For a low number of brushes it should not matter, when you use some more. And also for texturing I would recommend using three, four or five brushes... so in theory each  "corner" of the cross could have a different "fitted" texture.

matt_au likes this

Brush size or brush volume doesn't matter at all to file size.  It sees all brushes as equal.  A tiny 1x1x1 brush takes up exactly the same amount of file size as an 8000x8000x8000 brush.  1 brush no matter how big, thick, long, or wide is exactly the same when it gets added to the .map file. 

Lighted surface area only matters to the lighting engine but it depends on how many surfaces you're lighting.  If it's a small to medium 1v1, FFA, TDM map don't even worry about it in the least.  If it's a large CTF map then yes you'll need to start making optimizations from the start.  That's not to say that any map won't appreciate optimizations though they are almost inconsequential with smaller maps.  The smaller the map the less optimizations will have an impact.  The engine can easily handle anything you can throw at it on a small map without optimizations.

For small and medium maps the biggest concerns should be avoiding collisions, proper use of nolight texture, and light leaks.  You don't need to start worrying about brush count vs brush size until you start making massive CTF maps or intricately detailed maps with over 5,000 brushes.  I think I got to about 9,000 drawcalls before I really started having problems in an unoptimized map.  Small 1v1 maps will rarely go above 2,000 to 3,000 brushes and those are the most intricately detailed ones.  By the time you reach that point you'll have a much better idea of what you're doing and can revisit optimization guides if needed at that time.

matt_au likes this

Thanks guys. Just to clarify, collisions = overlapping brushes (i.e. two brushes taking up some of the same space)?

Just to help out a bit more from what Devil says, When using Clip brushes (these are the brushes that force the player from the wall or from going though holes like windows etc) there is a lot of Z-Fighting going on even if you have them just touching like you would say two wall brushes butted against each other. With Clip brushes its always best to leave a gap of 1 -2 units from any other brush this will stop the z-fighting.