seekax

Mouse sensitivity

Question

Is your framerate stable? Windows sens? Some sort of accell enabled?

At the end of the day this formula is based on trial and error, so there is a margin for error, however your offset seems quite a bit higher than normal.

com_maxfps 150 but it seams to be stable and cap at 166 a minor bug but works, Windows Sense is default value so i can use Mark Cs mousefix like everyone else, no windows accell on or any other thing to affect sensitivity. The forumla is good and most people ive told said it worked well, if we say 18/21cm is roughly 15% gap, its probably much easier to notice this at my sense then it would for someone who uses 40+cm/360.

I will probably just end up opening Reflex and Quake and just tabbing back and forth to see if i can get them to feel near identical, if you have any input on FOV that would be nice.

60cm/360???? My table isn't even this big, how can you...possibly....doesn't it take like a second to drag mouse 60 cm?

Well you only have to drag the mouse 30cm at a time, because why would you have to turn more than 180 degrees at a time?

Also, are you sure your table is less than 60cm wide? That can barely fit a keyboard on it.

Here's me playing at 53cm: 

60cm/360???? My table isn't even this big, how can you...possibly....doesn't it take like a second to drag mouse 60 cm?

You barely ever have to move your mouse that much.  I use 60cm/360 in games which rarely ever require me to do more than a quick 45 degree turn.

com_maxfps 150 but it seams to be stable and cap at 166 a minor bug but works, Windows Sense is default value so i can use Mark Cs mousefix like everyone else, no windows accell on or any other thing to affect sensitivity. The forumla is good and most people ive told said it worked well, if we say 18/21cm is roughly 15% gap, its probably much easier to notice this at my sense then it would for someone who uses 40+cm/360.

I will probably just end up opening Reflex and Quake and just tabbing back and forth to see if i can get them to feel near identical, if you have any input on FOV that would be nice.

Well that's what's weird. I based this formula on at which m_speed it takes my WMO to move 45cm for a 360. Of course there is a little offset in that, but the lower the sens the smaller the offset should be. The only way the offset could be larger would be if the ingame sensitivity isn't linear, which i doubt.

Is this video serious or a joke?  This is ridiculous.  I've never in my life seen someone move a mouse while playing Quake that far.  Might as well use up an entire kitchen table as a mousepad while you're at it.  An arm sleeve lol. 

ROFL

Is this video serious or a joke?  This is ridiculous.  I've never in my life seen someone move a mouse while playing Quake that far.  Might as well use up an entire kitchen table as a mousepad while you're at it.  An arm sleeve lol. 

ROFL

That's mew playing, so he'll probably tell you all about it. No it's not a joke.

I've been a bit unsure what the right sweet spot for me would be, I use a really small mousepad (25cm/10inches x 21cm/8.5inches) because my table is small, but I did recently got a Logitech G502 Proteus Core so I have a pretty wide range of settings to try out, all I can say from earlier experiences with my older mouse and testing the new one is that a combo of high DPI and low sensitivity is good but I'm not exactly sure what the DPI should be. So far I've usually played with 2 in sensitivity and 3200dpi in Reflex.

I dunno if any of you have any suggestions? I haven't played PC games on a regular basis for that long so I'm not entirely sure what the results in mouse-sensitivity.com, since I don't know what "Windows Multiplier" is referring to.

I've been a bit unsure what the right sweet spot for me would be, I use a really small mousepad (25cm/10inches x 21cm/8.5inches) because my table is small, but I did recently got a Logitech G502 Proteus Core so I have a pretty wide range of settings to try out, all I can say from earlier experiences with my older mouse and testing the new one is that a combo of high DPI and low sensitivity is good but I'm not exactly sure what the DPI should be. So far I've usually played with 2 in sensitivity and 3200dpi in Reflex.

I dunno if any of you have any suggestions? I haven't played PC games on a regular basis for that long so I'm not entirely sure what the results in mouse-sensitivity.com, since I don't know what "Windows Multiplier" is referring to.

It's all preference. Usual DPI's are 400, 800, 1000, 1200. Your sens is 24cm/360 which is okay. Your mousepad is too small though. Get a bigger one. Reflex/CPMA/Quake is all playable with a sens of 19cm/360 to gaiia like 60cm/360 or more. The lower sens you go the larger mousepad you need. Makes it impossible to make fast 180 turns and jumps if your mousepad is too small for your sens and to turn more you have to raise your mouse too early.

In the Windows mouse settings, found in the control panel, there are 11 'notches' for the sensitivity setting.

fkjamd.png

Before you start tinkering with your sensitivity, make sure that the slider is on notch 6, like it is in the picture. Any higher or lower, and put simply, Windows will make the mouse move at an inconsistent rate. It's almost unnoticable, but it's there.

You should also make sure to untick 'enhance pointer precision' for the same reason. It might feel really weird at first if you've had it on all this time, but trust me, it's worth getting used to having it off.

In regards to working out your sensitivity...

Personally, I know that in every game I play, I do 1 and a quarter 360s from one end of my mousemat to the other. Much simpler and more universal than tinkering around with calculators and numbers ;)

In regards to choosing your sensitivity...

The long answer: If you have problems tracking (following enemies smoothly with your crosshair, such as with the lightning gun), your sensitivity may be too high. If you have problems rocket jumping, running out of mousemat space or generally moving around quickly and efficiently, it may be too low. I personally can't stand having different sensitivity between games, so mine has been tweaked over the course of years playing Quake, Counter-Strike, NeoTokyo, TF2 and a smattering of other little games on the side to be the perfect general purpose sensitivity for me. I can track as smoothly as I want as long as my hand is being agreeable, react to things as fast as I can physically react, and I never run out of mouse space when doing complex bunnyhopping patterns or reacting to something behind me. I guess those are some good goals to have with your sensitivity.

The short answer: Do what's comfy.

It's all preference. Usual DPI's are 400, 800, 1000, 1200. Your sens is 24cm/360 which is okay. Your mousepad is too small though. Get a bigger one. Reflex/CPMA/Quake is all playable with a sens of 19cm/360 to gaiia like 60cm/360 or more. The lower sens you go the larger mousepad you need. Makes it impossible to make fast 180 turns and jumps if your mousepad is too small for your sens and to turn more you have to raise your mouse too early.

Any thoughts on how big the mousepad should be? I was thinking of a Steelseries QcK Heavy (my current pad is a steekserues QcK mini) but that one's a bit too big for my current table (I was planning on getting a new table eventually but I dunno when and a mousepad would probably be cheaper for now). Would something like 320 x 270mm do?

Any thoughts on how big the mousepad should be? I was thinking of a Steelseries QcK Heavy (my current pad is a steekserues QcK mini) but that one's a bit too big for my current table (I was planning on getting a new table eventually but I dunno when and a mousepad would probably be cheaper for now). Would something like 320 x 270mm do?

I'm using steelseries qck right now which is 320x270 with my steelseries sensei. Even though I play with 21cm/360cm I'm going to buy a steelseries qck+ sometime which is like 450mmx?. Even though very rarely I find myself on the edge of the pad I would be more comfortable if I knew I have extra space to work with. But go with the qck if you don't have space.

I'd rather buy a mat that's too big than one that's too small. You can always just put your keyboard on top of part of it, or even fasten it to your desk with some tape or something to stop it from sliding off. It's better than spending money on a new mat and then feeling starved for space soon after.

Also, I have a QCK+ and I love it :ph34r:

I am old doom 2 player and i always played all games with sens like 12cm/360. I dunno what happened in Reflex but it "forced" me play with lower sens, i am now on 25 cm/360 in all games and i love it, heh.

Hey,

I'm a comp tf2 player (roamer). I played with 26cm/360 on a 40cmx30cm mousepad for a long time now, never had any trouble with rocketjumping flickshots or any of that kind.

But in reflex it's really hard to even do circles or bhops. I tried higher sensitivitys and my movement improved but my aim dropped of drastically.

Btw I dont use mouseaccel, so my question is should I change my sensitivity, should I start using mouseaccel or should I let everything as it is and try to get used to advanced movemnt with my old sensitivity?

I should mention, I never played an arena shooter before so yea..

have a nice day!

-alphaa

Hey,

I'm a comp tf2 player (roamer). I played with 26cm/360 on a 40cmx30cm mousepad for a long time now, never had any trouble with rocketjumping flickshots or any of that kind.

But in reflex it's really hard to even do circles or bhops. I tried higher sensitivitys and my movement improved but my aim dropped of drastically.

Btw I dont use mouseaccel, so my question is should I change my sensitivity, should I start using mouseaccel or should I let everything as it is and try to get used to advanced movemnt with my old sensitivity?

I should mention, I never played an arena shooter before so yea..

have a nice day!

-alphaa

26cm/360 should be okay without accel, so I would recommend leaving it as is for while and seeing how you go. Lots of Quake/Reflex players have similar or lower sensitivities, and as far as I know accel is fairly popular but far from universal. (Especially in Reflex, where afaik accel hasn't been implemented yet, so you'd need to do it externally.)

Second choice would be to start using accel, I reckon. It'll take some getting used to, but so would increasing your sensitivity, and accel is pretty popular among good Quake players. (I don't use it, but only because I don't want to spend time working out the right value and getting used to it.)

disclaimer: I'm pretty shit :)

^thx for the hint, I wasn't sure since it felt so strange trying those movement tricks and stuff (compared to rj in tf2)

Maybe im in the wrong topic for that but since you can change your fov freely in reflex, which fov is standart or recommended. Currently at 130, because gives me a wide view without stretching your view to far.

So what do pros use?

-alphaa

Don't get too attached to what pros use. Your personal comfort always trumps it.

With that said, I'd say most pros use a much lower fov than you might think. 95-110 seems to be a common range (in QL I should add, I'm not sure on pure cpma players). A lower field of view will let you discern details better and improve your aim at a distance. Better peripheral vision with a higher field of view is nice of course, but not as important when you're comfortable enough with your mouse sensitivity to do quick and accurate turns and know where players are coming from (sound or gamesense).

~10cm /360. Cant play with higher. Cant do rjumps, fast 360 etc with higher sens. The bottom of my hand is allways on the same spot on the mousepad.

In Reflex : dpi 1200, sens 15

Windows sens 6/11

In QL sens 4, same dpi. Feels the same as in Reflex but number so much lower.

~10cm /360. Cant play with higher. Cant do rjumps, fast 360 etc with higher sens. The bottom of my hand is allways on the same spot on the mousepad.

In Reflex : dpi 1200, sens 15

Windows sens 6/11

In QL sens 4, same dpi. Feels the same as in Reflex but number so much lower.

Ok, I have tried lower sens for a while now and maybe getting used to it. Down to 8.4 in Reflex and 2.2 in QL. No accel.