entik

Reflex Movement Overview for New Players

ramps work ok going up I was able to go quite far without a double but yeah converting to horizontal speed seems to not work so well

They only seem to work for double jumps, that or then every ramp on every map I've tried so far has are shaped weird. 

Something that I think should be made very clear to new players is the possibility of pressing jump in the air and holding it until you land, rather than trying to time each jump perfectly. It's something that a surprising number of people don't know about (though I probably shouldn't be surprised -- it's not a very intuitive system, and afaik it's almost unique to Quake-likes these days), and obviously it makes a huge difference to the difficulty level. I reckon quite a few frustration-quits could be saved if we made sure everybody knew this from the start.

in cpm holding jump in the air supposedly lowered your speed a bit, or you didnt go as fast/far/high as quick tap. can anyone confirm if theres a penalty like this in reflex?

Sounds like a gimmick from Defrag CPM to thin out run times, but don't take my word for it. Hard to confirm in Reflex because the replay system isn't working exactly. All I can confirm so far though is that you don't gain speed momentarily if your mouse angle is slightest bit wrong during switching sides. 

I'm in the habit (from tf2 airstrafing) or holding just a strafe key and not forward when turning. Obviously for bunny hopping I use W + A or W + D, but it feels like you can turn tighter using just A or D, is this a bad habit?

Something that I think should be made very clear to new players is the possibility of pressing jump in the air and holding it until you land, rather than trying to time each jump perfectly. It's something that a surprising number of people don't know about (though I probably shouldn't be surprised -- it's not a very intuitive system, and afaik it's almost unique to Quake-likes these days), and obviously it makes a huge difference to the difficulty level. I reckon quite a few frustration-quits could be saved if we made sure everybody knew this from the start.

As far as I can tell Halo seems to have this as well, to a point anyway. Except there is a bit more timing it seems, as you can just jump off the building and hold jump, you need to time it when you're a bit above the ground.

Though I suppose you could classify Halo as a quake like as well since even Spawns sets, power weapons, etc...

in cpm if you held jump before landing it would freeze your ups at whatever speed it was at the moment you repressed jump, as long as you held jump... if i'm not mistaken

rephrased, queing or buffering your next jump early makes you stop gaining speed for the remainder that jump

I personally like cpm's buffering more than warsow's autojumping because I enjoy the layers it adds to perfecting movement

what I like about warsow style is that it frees up a few mental processes leaving players a bit less distracted, more focus goes to aiming and whatnot

in cpm if you held jump before landing it would freeze your ups at whatever speed it was at the moment you repressed jump, as long as you held jump... if i'm not mistaken

rephrased, queing or buffering your next jump early makes you stop gaining speed for the remainder that jump

I personally like cpm's buffering more than warsow's autojumping because I enjoy the layers it adds to perfecting movement

what I like about warsow style is that it frees up a few mental processes leaving players a bit less distracted, more focus goes to aiming and whatnot

I like the cpm system, in theory anyway. Seems like a good balance between friendliness to new/low-skilled players, and reward for mastery. If Reflex goes in that direction it would be important to be transparent about how it works, though, and preferably to give some kind of in-game feedback so players know that jump timing makes a difference. (I've played a decent amount of Quake (mostly QL, and some cpm) but honestly I've never been sure whether jump timing actually matters. I think maybe it doesn't in QL?)

If I'm not mistaken, holding jump in QL decreases acceleration as well.

That depends on whether or not you have autojump enabled, with autojump enabled there is no decrease in acceleration, so it is better to enable it no matter how much one may hate the concept of autojump in quakelive.

Probably nice to give this sticky some more love with a hint about all the movement maps and the server:

Movement Maps

Lightstrafe

Map: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4pldofiveazcvia/lightstrafe-2.map?dl=0

Forum Post:

Zen1

Map: http://reflexfiles.com/file/64

Forum Post:

Reflexjump

Map: http://reflexfiles.com/file/69

Forum Post:

brrun1

Map: http://reflexfiles.com/file/106