Sign in to follow this  
Qallan

[0.29.2] Framerate Stutter in Maximized Window Mode

Hello, I wanted to report an issue I'm seeing after updating to v29.2 from v28. I normally play in a maximized window rather than in fullscreen. In v28, my framerate was pretty constant, but in 29.2, it seems to rapidly alternate between ~120 fps and somewhere in the single or double digits, causing a noticeable graphics "stutter". The drop and recovery is too fast to see what it drops to, but I can see that the fps counter shrinks a little to accommodate the smaller number before going back to normal. I turned on r_profiler, and saw that the top CPU bar flickers between the maximum and normal, and that the fps appears to drop when the CPU is maxed. It does this on any map, or even when loading maps. If I move the mouse slightly, the CPU and FPS remain constant for a moment before flickering again. However, if I keep the window at the default size it opens in, or put it in fullscreen, the fps remains constant.

I'm guessing that maximizing the window puts the game in a weird, unsupported resolution and the CPU keeps spiking because it's working to accomodate that. It's no problem for me to just play either in the default window size or fullscreen, but since it just started doing this I figured I would bring it to your attention.

I think I've had similar issue earlier but not entirely sure. Managed to overheat my cpu and cause system crash once on first build 29 update. First I accidentally changed window size(on windowed mode) and then I decided to try significantly higher resolution by stretching it to random aspect. After about 10 minutes of playing my cpu overheated. However I did not notice any FPS drops but there might have been some performance drops while playing like that.

Thought it was just my pc failing but it could be related to this.