Sign in to follow this  
Benroads

Outworld (breizdm4) - eizdm4-b15 convert and touchup

Converted and fixed up a few things on one of my favorite CPM maps, while I know converts aren't super popular I don't exactly think it was a heavily played map compared to the big 3 at least. Either way I learned a lot about brushwork and how lighting works from working on this. In its current state I do not think that the map is overly balanced and I was playing with ideas of moving weapons around to allow the person off stack to have somewhat of a chance but that will come with time. Anyway here is a quick change-log and some screenshots. I was also unable to find any trace of Eizid being online since 2008 so I hope he's okay with me converting his map .

:~)

Steam Workshop Page

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=611578060

Current RefleFiles download:

http://reflexfiles.com/file/542

Old ReflexFiles download: (Keeping this version for Legacy Purposes)

http://reflexfiles.com/file/81

Initial release (12/19/14) / Changes from CPM version

-Raised ground+ trim near lower RL 8u to allow jumps up the ledge
-Raised the lower ledges on both sides of the MH 8u to allow a jump from YA ledge to GL bridge
-Raised the 2x 25 ramp area 4u to allow jumps up to the SG/GA area
-Redid brushwork above YA to try and fix some alignment issues.
-Added a large amount of trim brushes
-Added 2 5 health bubbles on the ledge across from RA 
-Removed a number of large brushes that I did not plan to use for detailing
-Reworked the 2 lights near the 2x 25 ramp
-Reworked the teleports using praximo's quad texture idea

First Update (12/20/14)
-Fixed pickups being 4u above the ground in a couple places
-Fixed some texture alignment bugs near upper YA
-Fixed some texture bugs above chaingun
-Added some nolight textures to hidden brush faces

Second Update (2/13/15)
-Fixed texture bugs in main atrium near teleport exit
-Fixed texture bug on ceiling near upper YA
-Fixed texture bug near RL side of RA platform
-Fixed small texture bug under upper YA platform
-Fixed trim brush being too large on RL side of RA platform
-Added trim near PG stairs
-Added trim to stairs in main atrium
-Added endgame camera
-Redid brushwork on LG platform to fix a few lighting issues as well as add proper trim to the under side
-Redid some brushwork in MH room to fix some lighting bugs
-Fixed ceiling brush near GA not being properly nolighted
-Fixed some wall brushes near MH not being properly nolighted
-Added detail brushes to the 8u->16u trim connections
-Moved light near under LG
-Added light near under LG
-Added light above GA
-Moved lower YA more towards RA room
-Added light above lower YA
-Added light on GL bridge
-Added light near dropdown to 25 healths
-Nolighted more hidden faces
-Added sky light near MH tele exit
-Removed all pointlights
-Removed trim brushes at the base and top of stairs
-Lowered detail brushes above rail 4u to line up with trim
-Lowered high trim above 2x25 health dropdown to line up with other trim
-Redid brushwork on connector beam above the upper RL
-Redid brushwork on connector beam above the GA
-Redid cieling area above GA
-Reworked the huge clip brush above the map slightly
-Adjusted the angled brush above RA teleport

Third Update (Workshop Publication) (1/30/16)
-Renamed the map to "Outworld" (May change in the future)
-Fully retextured and retrimmed the map
-Added weapon symbol meshes under all of the weapon pickups
-Reworked brush geometry outside the map to reduce and fix light leaks
-Added a brush to better show the "pixelwalk" near GL ledge
-Added light meshes to the inside of the brushwork lights to give dynamic light effects
-Converted quite a bit of stuff to prefabs (Mainly stairs/lights)

c89ea15b8f.jpg

d2068e7010.jpg

edebc07879.jpg

4726533ba3.jpg

fbf1749453.jpg

Glad you enjoy it, I was planning on making some minor balance adjustments once the game has proper netcode to allow for better games but if anybody has any suggestions in the meantime i'll take them into consideration.

Been working on an update for this but I don't really want to release without changing that much, so far I have only added a bit of trim and fixed a couple of nolights, I was hoping to see some games on it and potentially change a few items around for balance but I will probably wait until the netcode update to do that. If people are cool with redownloading/readding a map to the server for a small update I'll post it but otherwise I will probably just wait until later. Also i'll probably add clip brushes over all the lights to prevent people from getting caught on them if they jump around near them, this wont be happening until the lighting engine doesn't have massive errors when clip brushes are on things so might be a bit.

EDIT: changed trim to be 8u instead of 12, also added an endgame camera.

Screenshot of the changes on the stairs:

a91b922f89.jpg

I really like this map.

One thing I found was that if you try to walljump from RA to the two healthbubbles (between RL and IC), you can get stuck on the left wall a bit before the corner. If that explanation wasn't clear, I can maybe provide screenshots.

It is especially annoying if you try to rampjump from chaingun to ion cannon quickly. Because that jump is actually quite useful, I think this would better be fixed.

Edit: After reading the rest of the thread, I think the bug may already be fixed on the unreleased version. If it is, nevermind, or maybe reconsider releasing it, because that jump is quite useful imo.

I really like this map.

One thing I found was that if you try to walljump from RA to the two healthbubbles (between RL and IC), you can get stuck on the left wall a bit before the corner. If that explanation wasn't clear, I can maybe provide screenshots.

It is especially annoying if you try to rampjump from chaingun to ion cannon quickly. Because that jump is actually quite useful, I think this would better be fixed.

Edit: After reading the rest of the thread, I think the bug may already be fixed on the unreleased version. If it is, nevermind, or maybe reconsider releasing it, because that jump is quite useful imo.

I could only recreate the bug like in 1 in 20 or 30 times when I attempted it on both versions, but I did redo the brush in that corner to see if it would help and I have not gotten caught on the wall yet.

Also hoping for a bit of feedback on the map itself since it seems to be getting played somewhat often and the US tournament just finished up. If nothing major comes up I will release the version I have been working on but I would prefer to avoid doing that since it is pretty much a 100% visual update.

Thanks for having a look at it.

For me it happened a lot more frequently, but keep in mind that I'm very much a novice, so it might just be due to my bad technique. If you release the new version I will test if I still manage to get stuck.

I'd love to be able to offer you some constructive criticism, but there wasn't anything that stood out negatively the handful of times I played the map. Just an overall great map in my opinion.

Yeah this map is great fun to play. Would be awesome with some fancy graphics!

Not sure exactly what you mean by this.

I have no interest in working with custom textures until they are properly supported and even then I will be hesitant.

As for as other details I have been avoiding them mostly because I really like the super clean look of the map and partly because of how many lightmap issues I have ran into using clip brushes.

I will probably release the update later tonight or tomorrow once I work out some lighting bugs.

fix GL -> RA pixelwalk or riot 

I tried remaking the brush like 5x there's no way to make that shape w/o having the geometry bug. I was considering putting a light there ot make it look like it was intentional but I'm not sure how balanced that spot is

You can do that jump in 1 circlejump without the pixelwalk for that matter, but it's hilariously easy with the pixelwalk and kinda breaks down the map dynamic there, for better or worse.

Collision stuff will be fixed eventually I'm sure, some angled ramps can just deadstop you too.

In the meantime though I think something should be done for this one. Either by deleting the offending brush until collision issues are worked out, or accepting it as part of the map with a detail (like the light idea) to jump off of.

Bruh! Little late to the EIZ party. But agreed. Great map that isn't played :/ 

Give it love so that it can re-live its days of GLORY

​it really never had days of glory afaik, or was it played in something else than q3 cpm?

I fucking love this one

I have basically no interest in mapping for Reflex anymore but if anybody would like to continue working on this be my guest, only gonna ask that you give me a bit of credit (for the conversion) and credit to Eizid (for actually creating the map). Would love to get official permission from him but the last time I could find evidence of him online was almost 10 years ago. Honestly I do not feel that this map really need anything besides maybe some balance changes as it's really pretty easy to keep control in its current state. Personally I don't see any reason to add a bunch of the meshes or whatever since they'll probably only clutter up the super clean map.