Sign in to follow this  
Benroads

Outworld (breizdm4) - eizdm4-b15 convert and touchup

I have basically no interest in mapping for Reflex anymore but if anybody would like to continue working on this be my guest, only gonna ask that you give me a bit of credit (for the conversion) and credit to Eizid (for actually creating the map). Would love to get official permission from him but the last time I could find evidence of him online was almost 10 years ago. Honestly I do not feel that this map really need anything besides maybe some balance changes as it's really pretty easy to keep control in its current state. Personally I don't see any reason to add a bunch of the meshes or whatever since they'll probably only clutter up the super clean map.

​i have been looking for eizid for ages, he was a qw player afaik and nobody from qw that i knew could track him down. Too bad, he made a great map and he was Finnish.

ofc u'd have credit, i am planning to add some stuff but i want to keep it clean, it's just disapointing to see such a great map not being played or even uploaded to servers, maybe making it a bit more visually appealing would do the job. I won't change structure or item placement, I have a good friend who has great ideas to give clean looks to maps.

Edited by memphis

There are a few things that need adjusting for 0.37 player size changes and some bugs associated with angled walls need fixing

​The only angled wall bug iI am aware of is the wall on near RA right next to the GL platform. As I said before I was considering adding some light props to make it be a bit more obvious that it's "intended" to be a thing you can trick off of like my cpm24 port and the various lights I added for that purpose. As far as visuals go, personally I do not like the style that maps have taken since honestly it looks incredibly obnoxious to me. However if you feel that it would help the map by all means go for it, I just personally don't really see what it adds besides something kinda pretty for spectators to look at and something that most players (I assume) want to turn off.

As I said before I am not interested in mapping for Reflex so it is very unlikely that I will be updating the map myself. However it does make me sad to see such a great map not get any playtime. I haven't heard or seen anything from memphis regarding his version of the update so I am currently asking around to see if there is anybody who is interested in updating and improving visuals on the map. If you are interested  you can contact me over the forums or through steam. Personally I would like to keep the map very minimalist I think having tons of obnoxious detailing would take away from the original clean feel of the map and distract from game play. I am also somewhat interested in having something like this done for cpm24 as I also think it is an excellent map that does need a few changes from its current version and a big detailing pass.

When I said give it some love, I meant for people to play it, not begging you :) But yeah, hopefully someone wants to make it clean and nice so it will get more playtime

14 hours ago, Benroads said:

As I said before I am not interested in mapping for Reflex so it is very unlikely that I will be updating the map myself. However it does make me sad to see such a great map not get any playtime. I haven't heard or seen anything from memphis regarding his version of the update so I am currently asking around to see if there is anybody who is interested in updating and improving visuals on the map. If you are interested  you can contact me over the forums or through steam. Personally I would like to keep the map very minimalist I think having tons of obnoxious detailing would take away from the original clean feel of the map and distract from game play. I am also somewhat interested in having something like this done for cpm24 as I also think it is an excellent map that does need a few changes from its current version and a big detailing pass.

i tried and i failed, i didn't like the color scheme a single bit and my friend lost interest in reflex already.

The map is great tho, I love playing this one.

I am currently asking around to see if there is anybody who is interested in updating and improving visuals on the map. (c) Benroads

I asked FHT if would be able to give it some love. Xytaglyph said that there was some issues in the conversion and said it was a bigger job that just some wallpaper. :/

On 1/20/2016 at 8:01 AM, memphis said:

i tried and i failed, i didn't like the color scheme a single bit and my friend lost interest in reflex already.

The map is great tho, I love playing this one.

No worries, thanks for giving it an attempt :~)

On 1/20/2016 at 2:17 PM, Gangland said:

I am currently asking around to see if there is anybody who is interested in updating and improving visuals on the map. (c) Benroads

I asked FHT if would be able to give it some love. Xytaglyph said that there was some issues in the conversion and said it was a bigger job that just some wallpaper. :/

Such as? The only issues I was aware of were some weird brush collision  issues that honestly are more on Reflexes end.  Either way there is currently somebody working on it, I am not sure how long it will take him to finish it but from what he has sent me everything is looking excellent.  To be fair I didn't look very hard because I know probably 2 or 3 people that actually actively play Reflex and didn't want to hunt around to find people who may or may not be interested in working on a project of this scale.

On a different note I will probably flip through my map files and upload a bunch of the WIP stuff I never finished so that people can mess around with it. Most of the bigger projects I was working have already been passed along but some of them have seemed to disappear (ospdm5a to be specific).

Just now, Gangland said:

He mentioned something about decimals. Dunno man, I'm no mapper.

:O/

If you wouldn't mind asking him specifically what was going on. I fixed basically all of the conversion errors that I am aware of and ended up remaking a good portion of the map by hand, granted this was all when the textures refused to allign properly and I had to resort to some fuckery to get them to work properly. The only area that I remember being more awful than normal was the weird platform that upper YA is on and even that could probably be easily reworked to function/look a bit nicer.

cpm24 on the other hand has some really really messy spots as the diagonal staircase near lower YA was pretty brutal to setup and would honestly need to be almost completly redone if anybody wants to seriously update my cpm24 port. I think I ended up having to do some stupid layering stuff with the trim to get it to work properly as you couldn't manually edit things past 1u without doing everything in notepad or whatever.

Seeing how some of you seem to like my small "quality of life" touch-up of Benroads' port, I feel I should let you know that the map will not be publicly released (you'll have to get lucky and grab it off my private server). After speaking with Benroads, he informed me, that while he liked the colors, he (or a friend, don't remember) has a personal version that will be released to the workshop. So forgoing any unforseen circumstances, that pic is all you'll get. Sorry for the tease.

On 27/1/2016 at 5:15 AM, The Void said:

Seeing how some of you seem to like my small "quality of life" touch-up of Benroads' port, I feel I should let you know that the map will not be publicly released (you'll have to get lucky and grab it off my private server). After speaking with Benroads, he informed me, that while he liked the colors, he (or a friend, don't remember) has a personal version that will be released to the workshop. So forgoing any unforseen circumstances, that pic is all you'll get. Sorry for the tease.

On 21/10/2015 at 0:30 AM, Benroads said:

I have basically no interest in mapping for Reflex anymore but if anybody would like to continue working on this be my guest, only gonna ask that you give me a bit of credit (for the conversion) and credit to Eizid (for actually creating the map). Would love to get official permission from him but the last time I could find evidence of him online was almost 10 years ago. Honestly I do not feel that this map really need anything besides maybe some balance changes as it's really pretty easy to keep control in its current state. Personally I don't see any reason to add a bunch of the meshes or whatever since they'll probably only clutter up the super clean map.

I don't really fancy turning this into a political nonsense in a videogame but Eizid is the original author of the map and ultimate the guy who has any legitimacy to demand anything about whatever he pleases, not benroads even if he took his time to port it from q3. OR maybe not even Eizid himself since lots of peeps are mapping and converting lots of shit from other games?

"I was also unable to find any trace of Eizid being online since 2008 so I hope he's okay with me converting his map". Again, see first post.

Reflex has an awesome map editor where anyone in the world can add content to the game because it's actually pretty easy to use. The thing is that if you make a shitty ass version of eizidm4 nobody is going to play it. The one that gets played is the best looking one from all touch-ups, obviously. This doesn't turn into a fucking map competition, it's just reflex playerbase being active and supporting the freaking game. 

What i am saying is that nobody plays this map atm, and thevoid here took his time to make his own art on it, why not add it to the game? people will like the map, people will love the next version as well, but in the meantime there's no harm giving us (the players) a beta version, a testbranch, name it whatever keeping credit of benroads still naming it breizidm4v or breizidm4a just like cpm3a...

Thevoid, and no offense to benroads, but if i were you i'd upload it to reflex files ASAP for the freedom of bureaucracy in our very little world. At the end, this site will be obsolete once workshop is fully functional and what not.

TL;DR: I JUST WANNA PLAY THIS FUCKING MAP

Great fucking effort on converting and arting the map. Thank you Benroads for this. I just hope more players will play this map as it is very underrated in Reflex. I will make sure to put it on my local server whenever I will open one. Thanks again!

7 hours ago, memphis said:

I don't really fancy turning this into a political nonsense in a videogame but Eizid is the original author of the map and ultimate the guy who has any legitimacy to demand anything about whatever he pleases, not benroads even if he took his time to port it from q3. OR maybe not even Eizid himself since lots of peeps are mapping and converting lots of shit from other games?

"I was also unable to find any trace of Eizid being online since 2008 so I hope he's okay with me converting his map". Again, see first post.

Reflex has an awesome map editor where anyone in the world can add content to the game because it's actually pretty easy to use. The thing is that if you make a shitty ass version of eizidm4 nobody is going to play it. The one that gets played is the best looking one from all touch-ups, obviously. This doesn't turn into a fucking map competition, it's just reflex playerbase being active and supporting the freaking game. 

What i am saying is that nobody plays this map atm, and thevoid here took his time to make his own art on it, why not add it to the game? people will like the map, people will love the next version as well, but in the meantime there's no harm giving us (the players) a beta version, a testbranch, name it whatever keeping credit of benroads still naming it breizidm4v or breizidm4a just like cpm3a...

Thevoid, and no offense to benroads, but if i were you i'd upload it to reflex files ASAP for the freedom of bureaucracy in our very little world. At the end, this site will be obsolete once workshop is fully functional and what not.

TL;DR: I JUST WANNA PLAY THIS FUCKING MAP

The reason I asked him to not upload it is so that we don't end up with 25 different versions of the map like we did at the start of Reflex with cpm22, nobody liked that and having a bunch of competing versions on the workshop will only clutter it up and confuse newer players. The other reason is that myself and someone are currently working on it but since both of us are fairly busy it's been coming along slower than I would like it to as with the cpm24 touchup. To clarify I never told him to not have it on Reflex files (I actually think I told him I would be totally okay with that) I just wanted to "Reserve" the workshop page for Eiz. However I will be working on the map later tonight and will probably throw up a few screenshots of the progress.