Sign in to follow this  
Devil

Fuse Modeling Program 1 Day Steam Sale

Fuse on Steam

Regular Price: $99.99

Today only 66% off for $33.99

Fuse is a data-driven, modular 3D character creation tool that comes packaged with 60+ body parts, 100+ clothing meshes, 42 dynamic texturing substances, and 2 free Auto-Rigs for Fuse characters per week.

Before the 1 day sale is over does anyone know if models created with Fuse can be imported into Reflex?  Would it be worth it vs some other program out there?  Fuse seems to be character creation only not a complete object model 3D program.  Imagine that when it comes to character creation it excels in it's specialization though.

I imagine it would have export features for OBJ, FBX and other model formats; not sure if Reflex can work with stuff like that. It's not exactly a particularly useful or relevant modeling application for Reflex though.

Hell, even if you were to use a character created in Fuse as a base, it would be incredibly convoluted, and you'd be better off starting from a concept sketch anyway.

You guys should be aware this is not a full blown modelling tool, but one for professional modellers who want to systematize their model collection, to be able to interchange assets, clothing, hair styles and the like. Anything YOU want to create new seems to require external modules for extra money and there was also mention of some monthly fee that is above the cost of the tool itself.

I recommend reading some of the negative comments first. To be clear what the tool will do and what not.

Only mentioning my impression from the forum posts. So be aware :).

OK good to know.  I've only ever peeked at Q3 modeling and can't even remember what I used way back then.  Modeling for Reflex is practically non-existent right now but that's obviously going to change.  What kind of programs should I look into if I want to do character model/animation or even static modeling like boxes and pipes?  Can a Reflex developer please comment on what you guys are using and what might be the best fit for compatible exports?

OK good to know.  I've only ever peeked at Q3 modeling and can't even remember what I used way back then.  Modeling for Reflex is practically non-existent right now but that's obviously going to change.  What kind of programs should I look into if I want to do character model/animation or even static modeling like boxes and pipes?  Can a Reflex developer please comment on what you guys are using and what might be the best fit for compatible exports?

I'm pretty sure Blender is your best bet, since it's free.

Is there a Reflex example model we can import and play around with?  How would I go about importing the Reflex model into Blender for example and get started tinkering with model animations like taunts?

i always found blender more convoluted than it needs to be. Autodesk maya is much easier to learn in my opinion, and its free if you are a student.

I think that has more to do with Blender having an unconventional interface and stuff, when compared with a traditional 3D software. Sort of similar to how Zbrush was received when it was released; I remember how many of the traditional Maya/Max users were put off by the interface and tools.

i always found blender more convoluted than it needs to be. Autodesk maya is much easier to learn in my opinion, and its free if you are a student.

I can't really say which is easier to learn since I learned blender first and trying to pick up maya afterwards I found it too clumsy/cluttered and slow to really get anything done so I definitely prefer blenders interface even if it takes some time to learn/memorize all the quick keys and stuff

For making reflex models fuse isn't what you want. I recommend blender just because its free and all the tutorials that exist on youtube. Yes the interface is unintuitive and my first couple months with it I was pulling my hair out but now that I know how to use it I totally understand why it is the way it is. Now that blender has the BMesh system its a lot easier to make lowpoly game assets with it, (re-topology).

I started to make a list of things you need to learn to start making reflex models but its a ton of stuff. What I would say you don't need to learn for reflex modelling is; texturing, UV unwrapping, rendering and animation (probably need to learn basic rigging and some minor animation though if your model requires it).

I doubt you will be able to make a mesh and then see it in game right away, it will probably be a system where you submit a FBX model and if they think its good enough they will put it in the game using their in house tools to convert your model into the proprietary reflex mesh format. If they provided a tool for us to convert and see our models in game before submitting them that would be sick.

On 2016-06-13 at 9:40 PM, shooter said:

Version 0.47.x
The big one for this build is the curated workshop. We'll start with having Lua scripts available on the workshop. We want to have it directly plugged in to the menu system so you can simply browse for the widget you want and subscribe to it. Extending past Lua scripts we'd like to also get to having a style guide & the ability to submit workshop melee weapons.

We've been wanting to add triggers & movers (aka doors & shootable targets) for a long time, it's scheduled in here. Really looking forward to this.

For the art side on this build we're planing to finish the shotgun which some of you have seen, and also do the bolt rifle. 

We'll also be adding a "mutator system" and the first gameplay mutator of instagib. The idea here is you can vote for a game mode + mutator. For example: CTF + instagib.