def

[dp4] abandoned shelter

-REINSTATED in the hopes of reasoned refutation, but I'm not holding my breath-

Since this is one of the most promising maps that people have taken a liking to in Reflex I thought I’d give a detailed analysis of the map to aid in helping the mapper identify and make the improvements it needs to solidify its place in rotation and future tournaments. My experience with it is around 30 duels with the re-balanced mega timing and quite a few prior. Of course these criticisms are formed of what my own personal opinion on what constitutes map balance is but I strive to be as objective as possible to make the feedback worthwhile.

I’d like to start out with what I’ve been able to glean from my experiences playing dp4 and explain what common patterns seem to emerge as the more favorable strategies to employ when dueling.

Map Overview

The map dp4 is a weird one in that it appears at first to be the kind of map that would favor and encourage slower styles of play due to its apparent size, but as you become familiar with the map a pattern emerges where the player maintaining control of the major (red armor/mega) items is able to heavily aggress the other player into giving up handfuls of frags at a time. I’ve found that the main reasons for this are due to the ease with which the in-control player can traverse the upper level of the red armor room and quickly shut down a player attempting to re-stack in the mega/yellow armor/rail room by either abusing the height advantage given by the upper levels or by simply jumping through one of the red armor -> mega connector hallways and rushing the other player. The areas on the map which cannot be easily seen while taking this short 10 second loop around the map are limited to:

- The shards/teleporter hallway leading to the lower level of the red armor room
- The rocket launcher staircase leading to the jump pad that takes you to the red armor spawn
- The area below grenade launcher platform leading to the red armor teleporter
- The lightning gun staircase

This is a good amount of hiding spots to prevent taking damage from the other player while maneuvering around the map and re-stacking, however most of these places can easily be checked or predicted by the player controlling only the upper area of the map which is what tends to cause this aggressive playstyle to prevail on dp4.

Map Feedback

The power of this upper area and the routes from it are what makes the aggression such an overpowering force to deal with versus players who can properly exploit it using fast movement and average aim. Once they’ve gained control of the red armor, the map can quickly spiral out of control for the freshly spawning player. I think this element can be kept intact while introducing a few re-designs to make the gameplay less one-sided, make the engagements and fights on the map more varied, and open up more options for both players.

Simply put, the mega/yellow armor room is a death-trap to spawn in and escape from unless your opponent is in very specific areas of the map. This is because each exit from the room creates an excessive amount of noise which will alert your opponent to your position, making you a sitting duck with the following options:

- Trick-jump to the rail platform, then to the middle-pedestal and onto the staircase (3-4 jumps*)
- Trick-jump from the mega platform onto the pedestal and then jump to the staircase (5+ jumps*)
- Take the jump pad up to the isolated yellow armor room (1 very loud jump pad trigger)
- Exit from the shards/teleporter hallway, which can be done silently

*If you decide to take the green armor path, add another 4 jumps to this number

In the best case scenario, you’re able to escape from the room without them killing you because they had not been in a good position to chase or deal damage or you were able to quickly grab a rocket launcher to deal damage or escape with. In other cases, you may be able to grab the railgun using the associated trick jumps but due to the amount of time it takes to fall from the jump itself the opponent is almost always in a position to react to the jumping sound and eliminate you before you can get more than one panicked rail hit off on them before being juggled into oblivion.

Another issue that I have with the mega/yellow armor room is the jump that is required to grab the railgun for the aforementioned reasoning that the trick jump to get up there is awkward and has a long period of falling before you’re able to land and grab the weapon. With the way movement is particularly “slippery” in the game right now the pedestal used to jump over to the staircase leading to the red armor room is a frequent obstruction. I think these two jumps in such close proximity create a very annoying design choice which is only fluidly used when performing the jump starting at the rocket launcher box and then using the other trick jump from mega to land on the pedestal. I often see players with good movement struggle with making sense of the distances required to make these jumps cleanly, and I feel they don’t add much to the map when taken into consideration that they are one of the main reasons the room is difficult to escape from.

A possible suggestion is that you remove the railgun platform and pedestal in the mega/yellow armor room and instead place a staircase leading to the upper level instead. The railgun could then be moved to the top of this staircase on the landing leading to the red armor spawn. This allows an additional way to leave the room without making too much noise and giving you a viable weapon along the way so you aren’t defenseless (a common tactic is to camp the bridge in front of the teleporter exit from the shards/yellow armor hallway which allows you to score easy damage on someone attempting to grab the rocket launcher on the box in the mega room). This can be achieved any number of ways, but the issue of the only way of getting to the staircase through what I think are needless trick jumps that distract from the gameplay would be fixed.

The small landing with the green armor is also a very rarely utilized area which I think should be reworked entirely and instead put in some other kind of a room or hallway which doesn’t lead to the mega room. This forces a commitment to going across the red armor and down the windowed hallway if you wish to peek or contest the mega room without sacrificing the ability to kamikaze it and potentially rack up a ton of frags. The trick jump there up to red armor is hardly used for anything because of the obvious sounds you make when performing it and people generally just strafe through the area to get onto the health bubble ledge. This also removes an angle with which you can peek the shards/teleporter hallway and makes it a safer place to position yourself. Because the map really only consists of the two main rooms it wouldn’t be difficult to make proposed room sizeable enough to have an impact on the gameplay and keep the map from seeming too large or confusing. I don’t have a more concrete example for what could be done with the space or how it could then link back to the rest of the map but that’s probably for the best and I’ll leave that specialty up to you!

I’ll wrap this up by saying that the rest of the map doesn’t have many issues when being played, and you’ve done a superb job with constructing the layout of the red armor room which makes for some unique fights and really makes the map memorable. I hope to see some of this taken into consideration for the future versions of the map, and for it to remain a popular duel map!

hey bold huge crunch

thanks for that fucking big feedback :D

the thing is, i dont get most of your complains. so if u find some time we should talk in irc to show each other 

lets see if we can tweak this "old" map a little bit more ;)

ye i hope for new textures soon. i wanna have it look like a castle. but thats not possible right now

at least some green haters could be happy now ;)

So who thinks this looks better than the dev-textures.

On lowest settings it looks a lot better and is easier to my eye, but could use some extra lights on few areas now that there are no light textures being used. Brown look adds more contrast and I kind of hated bright green trims all over the place. Could use some more details and trims now that it is mostly brown.

Def, Did you really think that hall of mirrors effect was good idea for teleports? ugh :P

I don't really like the textures. Are these official?

I hope not all new maps will look like this after the art direction change.   :rolleyes:

To me Reflex = a lean and mean arena FPS game with a fresh clean look. But I understand these things are subjective, so if these woods, bricks and stones will generate more interest in the game or result in more money to the devs, so be it... I'm just skeptical.

@ mazu, i already asked electro for fitting tp textures :D

@ddd: ye they are official. we will get more textures with the next update maybe. lets see whats possible then.

this is just a try for a new texture theme :)

PS: map is up on following servers

all PlayHardGoPro server (phgp) and 

[CHI] dustin

not sure if I should upate it as its called the same therefore some people will have it with textures but most likely broken lms are you going to just keep updating all itterations with the same name until they're included in the next update?

I meant like have this be called 4a or something just before it will be included in the next update for everybody so just a temporary solution ;p anyway updated my PL host with this one, looks good considering the amount of available textures

Biggest problem i have with these is: missing displacement. It's 2015 ....flat textures won't make stuff look pretty for todays standards. Ofc there's a lot of other stuff missing, which you simply don't have atm, like proper assets etc. to make stuff look less dull. But yeah.... displacements.

Biggest problem i have with these is: missing displacement. It's 2015 ....flat textures won't make stuff look pretty for todays standards. Ofc there's a lot of other stuff missing, which you simply don't have atm, like proper assets etc. to make stuff look less dull. But yeah.... displacements.

it might be better to start a new topic on this 'issue' its not like the mapmakers have any control on what they have been given :P