def

[dp4] abandoned shelter

whatever... fuck the lazyness

its all fixed and updated an all phgp servers.

pixel server might follow during the day when newborn gets the time

I checked out the latest version of dp4 where some of the new textures and stuff are being used. Most of the stuff on the list below is engine related. Obviously textures could look ton better if drawn / sculpted by hand instead of using some cheap photoshop filtering

Here is a list of things that would instantly make it look 10x better.:

• Avoid sharp corners, use beveling to everywhere possible. For now this is a pain in ass, map editor should have beveling variable for each edge.
  • So called dynamic lights should be baked in the lightmap so users even without dynamic lights could enjoy static effects they generate.
  • Raycaster is buggy as hell, theres some ambient light passing through everything which results that theres no darkening in corners that should be darkened. If it cant be fixed pleasy allow us bake light maps in proper software to generate better results.
  • Should be possible to adjust sharpness of the sun shadows.
  • Maybe there could be some option for dynamic AO if raycaster cant be fixed
  • You should be able to choose if engine uses flat or smooth shading for group of objects. If you are using smooth shading, you should be able to choose angle threshold from which on it splits areas to different smoothing groups.
  • So called "boxes" should be some sort generators or engines instead just concrete blocks. This obviously isnt possible as we have no cool assets to use in places like this... 

The Brick Version of the map is far less enjoyable on Youtube. Sometimes when the view is turning around you cannot tell because the videocompression did not realize something changed. There are less clear edges visible.

If you really want to stick with this look you should breake the huge surfaces a little apart. Like putting different things in between

something like this maybe:

Backsteine-im-Fachwerk.jpg?9d7bd4

right now most walls look too similar to every other wall. Also every corner could be in a different color to make it more visible.

thats a good idea chin_0k.

dp4 will be back to grey/green theme before the tournament - thx to erectro making it possible

but with real textures. so i have that in mind chin_0k. 

@jjjuho: i agree with most stuff, but that just needs time i guess. cant do much about it right now

• So called dynamic lights should be baked in the lightmap so users even without dynamic lights could enjoy static effects they generate.

Dynamic lights should be baked in the lightmap...

Dynamic lights. Baked.

Dynamic.

Baked.

Also, this is a thread for def's DP4 map, not a place to whinge that the engine isn't UE4.

You do realise it all looks the same because there are only a few textures atm right? Of course it does. Just be patient and wait for the next round of textures to be released. The game isnt shipping with 3 textures.

Dynamic lights should be baked in the lightmap...

Dynamic lights. Baked.

Dynamic.

Baked.

You forgot "so called", which pretty much sums it up. They really arent dynamic at all, lighting of environment stays the same no matter what happens, atleast with my gpu and settings. These "dynamic" lights seem to only affect to player model's shading and dont really cast shadows to walls if player models go in front of them. Therefore they could just be baked to lm and the "dynamic" part could be only affecting player models instead of map.

You forgot "so called", which pretty much sums it up. They really arent dynamic at all, lighting of environment stays the same no matter what happens, atleast with my gpu and settings. These "dynamic" lights seem to only affect to player model's shading and dont really cast shadows to walls if player models go in front of them. Therefore they could just be baked to lm and the "dynamic" part could be only affecting player models instead of map.

they do shadows on walls by player models, just not your own. coz it seem u have no playermodel yourself in your client

So called lightmap resolution vs so called per pixel dynamic

baked reflections is 4best u guys just don't understand

I'll be in my trailer

Shut your trap dipstick and show that progress you promised!

:wub:

So called lightmap resolution vs so called per pixel dynamic

baked reflections is 4best u guys just don't understand

I'll be in my trailer

Dunno how you thought about faking GI if you wont add anything from dynamic lights to lm. Obviously reflections shouldnt be baked, dunno who was talking about it? Last time I checked baking lighting didnt mean baking reflections :D

In my eyes lightmap + ambient occlusion is just multiply applied on top of albino / diffuse. You can then use dynamic lights projection as alphamap of that multiply or dynamic shadows to further multiply the effect. Thats just how I think about it, never coded graphics engine so I am not really sure if you could do it like that.

UPDATE:

removed fence window in RA/RAIL room

had to push this, coz the new theme version wont be there until the tournament, so just be a little more patient. its worth it :-D i promise!

I've played this map loads and I believe it only achieves part of what def intended. It's a lot slower than the stereotypical cpm rapecloset, but, due to the way the map geometry and layout force that slow pace, the map loses actual depth in its tactics. I believe this is mainly due to a combination of four factors, namely 1) the accessibility of the yellow armors, 2) the high number of escape routes at any given position, 3) similarly the ease with which you can deal damage on the red and mega and lastly but arguably most importantly 4) the extreme difficulty of chasing. Essentially, wherever you are on the map, regardless of stack, you can (2) always escape in at least three directions (4) none of which the opponent can chase through or cut off without taking enormous amounts of damage or simply getting killed so you can (1) happily run to the next yellow and fire a potshot at the next major (3) which you don't even have to commit to (3 + 2). This leads to games that are very slow, but are devoid of meaningful tactics, because control becomes meaningless and often games are decided based on a few equal stack fights over mega or red, basically pure aim fights, which is exactly what this map is supposedly not about.

I'd like to know what everybody else thinks.