def

[dp4] abandoned shelter

The new version looks really good (at least compared to what we've seen so far in Reflex) !

Just curious though : why did the Green Armor portion have to go ? I think I liked the layout a bit better with the green armor.

​thx for the feedback.

we had some thoughts how to make the gameplay a bit faster and less campy/escapable. so we removed GA area, changed YA and also changed the RA tp exit to give more options and make it faster

so thats the result after hours of playtesting changes. i miss some old parts as well, but if u get used to the new layout its pretty fun

Moved my post here from the cup thread: 

This remake looks partially awesome and partially waaaay too detailed. I'm especially fond of all the tech bits, the pilars, doors, walls and basically anything inorganic.. But whenever I walk into the rail room and see all of those rocks, my eyes just starts to wiggle spastically. You should hold back with the brushes/meshes a little more sometimes, especially now that there's no way to get a picmip equivalent of that.

The map has changed a lot since the first version, and it definitely changed for the better!
Honestly, I didn't really like the old dp4, but this one feels pretty good. The armors are risky, the flow is controlled (the jumppads are placed quite strategically), and the spawns are distributed nicely.

Also I think it's neat that the map has a lot of vertical action going on, where the emphasis is put on proper positioning. Getting into position is possible by simply walking/using teleporters and jumppads, or by doing some really cool jumps that can be found throughout the map.

I do fear the map is rather bolt-heavy though, and I don't particularly like the square see-through pillars, the fights around them are boring peak-a-boo fests and remind me of shootmania poledancing. The jumppad near mega also feels pretty useless as you can be sure to catch 100dms easily whenever you take it.

The armors are distributed in such a way that from the few matches I've played on it, it's quite hard to control all the armors, the player who is behind almost always has an armor to fall back on, but getting both can be tough. Whether that is a good or a bad thing, I'm not sure yet.

+ Map looks stunning!
+ Vertical action
+ New layout/geometry > old layout/geometry
+ Controlled flow and risk
+ Lots of movements possibilities/cool jumps

- Poledancing around the see-through pillars
- Bolt-heavy?
- That damn jumppad near mega/rl

? Hard to control yellow armors

new theme update by fht is out! <3
optimized fps and added some gameplay changes:
- removed rocket launcher box in mega room
- big pillar in upper yellow room u can shoot through now
- added a "window" in upper yellow room where u can drop down to the red teleporter / or rocket jump up in yellow room (this is experimental and might be removed again if its not working out. plz let me know what u think)

screenshotClean00003.png

PS: plz go for r_sun 0 for now, until i have the hardcoded option to disable it in the map itself. the map has no sun but drains fps. if u disable it there is no visual difference but gives u like 30-40% more fps

Way too many brushes, it kills performance. My fps drops to like 50 in some areas just from shooting rockets even with settings low and sun off. Players walking on certain things also drop frames but not as much as rockets.

Try shooting the 3 beams that hold up the red armour platform or the detail bits above red.

Specs gtx-980, i7-920@4.2ghz

2 hours ago, MAD_JIHAD said:

Way too many brushes, it kills performance. My fps drops to like 50 in some areas just from shooting rockets even with settings low and sun off. Players walking on certain things also drop frames but not as much as rockets.

Try shooting the 3 beams that hold up the red armour platform or the detail bits above red.

Specs gtx-980, i7-920@4.2ghz

I tried this (shooting the beams supporting RA platform from below) and was able to reproduce this.

Specs:
i7-4770 @ 3.4 Ghz
gtx 980ti

Graphics: medium
Sun: off
1920 x 1080

*Edit: I forgot to say that it looks very nice now! Thanks def

1 hour ago, Morgoth said:

THE PERFORMANCE IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD.

You're probably joking, but on the internet one can never tell. So, please add /sarcasm or so.
His map looks terrific, and there's just some specific spot where, in the specific circumstance of shooting rockets, FPS drops occur.

Using a comparatively low end pc compared to Mad Jihad, I'm running into some major issues running the map. My typical framerates in reflex hover at about 70 fps for the more detailed maps like ruin and tephra, 90ish for static discharge and up to around 144 fps capped for undecorated maps (low settings no ragdolls lights decals or sun).

5579b2251b.png

On this new version of Abandoned Shelter I get around 20-30 fps with drops down to 5-10 fps, after deleting some background decorations 30-40 fps. This is on a listen server (which I'm getting about 17 ms ping to on this map somehow). Attempting to join a real server hosting the map causes the game to hang and dump me back on the menu after a few minutes and exiting the game without disconnecting first causes the game to hang for a minute. Even cranking up the settings to something crazy for this setup like 1080p low settings for a crisp 20 fps on Ruin will not cause these issues.

I noticed that the drops to around 10 fps occur when walking over certain patches of floor. Remaining stationary alleviates the issue, and I can move the mouse around without causing fps drops so its definitely the movement.

Aside from that, I like the new look for DP4. Despite the performance issues, it feels less noisy and I feel that if one day I can run the map properly it would be easier to navigate than before. I don't expect map makers to cater to someone like me running the game on a pc under the minimum requirements, but this is an extreme.

20160812151546_1.jpg

20160812151556_1.jpg

Edited by krickit
WYSIWYG editors suck I'm leaving it like this

New visuals looks cool but it does not give me even 200 (drops to 160 sometimes) stable fps on low settings(all off). And on my AOC g2770pqu (144hz) it looks a bit twitchy when it goes below 200 fps =( I think its problem of a game or maybe my monitor, but anyway, i realy like dp4 and wanna play on it with 200+ fps even on low. 
PS my specs:

i5 3570k 4.4 ghz

gtx970

on Ultra settings it goes on 150-180 fps...

thx for all the feedback guys.

i will look into the issue u mentioned and let u know if its fixable :)

and yea i know that between low and ultra isnt a big difference in fps

I have i7-6700k and a Fury X - I get an average of 316fps@ 1440p, 1% low is 237 and 0.1% is 112fps. Same settings on Shadowfalls give me an average of 330fps, 1% low 230 and 0.1% 216fps - much more consistent.

I loved the old artstyle of this map, it was nice and bright with really cool visuals, now it's like an industrial satanic map aka why I never got into Quake. Just my opinion.

13 hours ago, Woeste Wessel said:

You're probably joking, but on the internet one can never tell. So, please add /sarcasm or so.
His map looks terrific, and there's just some specific spot where, in the specific circumstance of shooting rockets, FPS drops occur.

I get low fps whether I shoot rockets or not

HOLY GUACAMOLY!!! :o

this level of detail...

just had a few matches last night and enjoyed the map a lot. the gameplay changes make sense, especially the hole to RA TP makes the map faster!

i roughly counted 40.348 brushes during the fight and couldn't believe my eyes, so i took the risk logging into "SYSTEM 385" and i have to admit i actually missed a few and got fragged! :lol:

@fht, @def :      a true work of art... :wub:

A classic reflex map that has had ??? 5 ??? art passes. :)

I've always liked this map a-lot. It gets hated on for this and that but I think people just don't understand it. And really, if your complaining about performance drops at this point you need to update that potato computer. :P

@def GG