Sign in to follow this  
tehace

thcdm9tx - The Phalanx (textured)

Map page - http://thc333.com/reflex/#tenth

Screens - http://thc333.com/reflex/thcdm9/

If you want to test it out without having to download textures or they dont work for some reason the map is also available on my FR host 37.187.158.76:25907 or look for "[FR]thc333.com/reflex" in the server browser and callvote map thcdm9tx

updated the zip with textures that have mipmaps.

some trims are fucked up, some leaks but overall the textures worked just fine.

http://thc333.com/reflex/thcdm9.jpg

im sorry I had to do this :) map and details coming soon...

as a side note HAL was kind enough to bash some of my maps therefore I got some good criticism so I'm going to be updating a lot of the other maps sometime soon.

oh and happy new year everyabody :>

edit: textures - http://www.mapcore.org/topic/13903-texture-set-pk02-sourcetga-versions/ (thanks majki).

well I might do that later, maybe try to create my own textures next. Im just learning stuff atm, nothing is final and as a side note this map was done I have it in reflex textures as well and there is a problem with testing maps, not enough feeedback so Im not sure whats good and whats not :)

Interesting texture set... I found it scary how cool the map can look using custom textures. Reflex has a lot of potential indeed.

and you need to take into consideration that I have no idea how they should be applied properly its literally first time Im adding any kind of textures :)

Reflex seems to choose one edge of a texture face, possibly the first indexed one, and then aligns the texture along the edge. I had angled brushes in AEdm7R where on the one side the texture was co-planar, on the other side it was angled. Very strange what is going on with the texture alignment. Alas, using GTKradiant and chronokun's converter does not let you fix this either.

http://thc333.com/reflex/thcdm9.jpg

im sorry I had to do this :) map and details coming soon...

as a side note HAL was kind enough to bash some of my maps therefore I got some good criticism so I'm going to be updating a lot of the other maps sometime soon.

oh and happy new year everybody :>

edit: textures - http://www.mapcore.org/topic/13903-texture-set-pk02-sourcetga-versions/ (thanks majki).

thcdm9! Wow! You are a machine bro! ;)

if not possible with ". -" u cant

nope... there is also pgn up/down that inverts them but that doesnt work either ;0

Reflex seems to choose one edge of a texture face, possibly the first indexed one, and then aligns the texture along the edge. I had angled brushes in AEdm7R where on the one side the texture was co-planar, on the other side it was angled. Very strange what is going on with the texture alignment. Alas, using GTKradiant and chronokun's converter does not let you fix this either.

Guess I'll be stuck with those for now

Just a heads up: As cool as this looks, it's not something we can support at the moment. We've got changes to the material system that is going to stomp all the textures in this map. When we implement Steam Workshop support for maps, it won't be including any textures. Things like this are going to keep happening until the tech has matured and until then, creating/using maps like this is entirely at your own risk.

Just a heads up: As cool as this looks, it's not something we can support at the moment. We've got changes to the material system that is going to stomp all the textures in this map. When we implement Steam Workshop support for maps, it won't be including any textures. Things like this are going to keep happening until the tech has matured and until then, creating/using maps like this is entirely at your own risk.

Sure Im aware of that possibility and Im not going to bitch about it. Hopefully I would be able to update the textures to fit whatever changes are planned. Do you have an estimate on when can that happen I wanted to try and create custom textures next so it would be cool if I can experiment a bit before everything just stops working :)

I am a bit surprised that it works at all. Did you convert the textures to .dds format and create a material file "dummy" for every texture? Or can textures in PNG or TGA or JPG format simply be accessed via the .map files?

I am a bit surprised that it works at all. Did you convert the textures to .dds format and create a material file "dummy" for every texture? Or can textures in PNG or TGA or JPG format simply be accessed via the .map files?

I created the .material files for all of them (just copy/paste proper filenames) and pasted whatever was in tga into dds files although I had to invert the normal maps that were provided with the textures from philipK as otherwise they had weirdly desaturated colours.

Alright... tested.

I get some horrible performance drops in some areas.

Dunno..i honestly don't even think it looks good :D.

I'd say we should really wait for the devs to actually do something first. I wouldn't show off Reflex with that kinda art etc. :D. I guess a big factor is the lack of detail in general, i mean ...too create like....really good looking maps. Everything is too plain.

Future.

Regards

I'd say we should really wait for the devs to actually do something first. I wouldn't show off Reflex with that kinda art etc. :D. I guess a big factor is the lack of detail in general, i mean ...too create like....really good looking maps. Everything is too plain.

What's to stop people from creating their own textures and "look" even after the devs have showed off official art? If other titles with custom content are anything to go by, I doubt many people will be sticking to the look the devs decide on, =/

I think this looks amazing, to be honest. Both in terms of aesthetic and playability.