Sign in to follow this  
Gangland

Kovaak Streaming with Build 30

23:38:58 < ipx> KovaaK: do you notice a big difference with the netcode?
23:39:05 < KovaaK> absolutely
23:39:19 < KovaaK> when both people are under 50ms, it's very smooth and you just aim lg with xhair
23:39:23 < ipx> cool :)

I'm more worried about the 50ms+ range myself.  Happy to hear they are making progress however.

As far as aim goes, it'll be the same up to 120ms with the way we're doing it currently (no leading of anything, just pretend you're on LAN). But the more lag you have, the more tricks we need to use to figure out player positions. Right now, the client smoothing is broken so at 50ms+ there's a lot of warping of other players.

That said, I've played games at 225ms. I wouldn't exactly enter a competition with a ping like that but I think I could be useful in something like a CTF game.

Here are some duels on BDM3 and some duels on DP4 with the new netcode.  As quoted above, it's amazing for when both people are under 50ms right now.  No need for added smoothing, and you just aim with your xhair.  When client smoothing is corrected, I look forward to testing with higher pings.

I'm more worried about the 50ms+ range myself.  Happy to hear they are making progress however.

As am I.

I don't ping below 50 to any server, but I can get close with 53.  Usual range is like 55-75, even to CHI which is quite close.

Edit: I ping 33 to CHI.

Keep in mind that the current implementation has it so your ping to the server isn't what matters - it is the combined pings of you and whoever you are shooting at.

The netcode is designed to show other players at the position in the world where they currently see themselves rather than the outdated position on the server. This is achieved through extrapolation, which results in the jerky updates when your combined pings get too large.

I look forward to testing the netcode when player smoothing is added.

Keep in mind that the current implementation has it so your ping to the server isn't what matters - it is the combined pings of you and whoever you are shooting at.

The netcode is designed to show other players at the position in the world where they currently see themselves rather than the outdated position on the server. This is achieved through extrapolation, which results in the jerky updates when your combined pings get too large.

I look forward to testing the netcode when player smoothing is added.

sooo.... Im not going to die around the corner?