Sign in to follow this  
Blindlight

Arena Map - Octagon

Here is a new a arena map I adapted from another great indie fps on Steam called Robot Rollerderby Disco Dodgeball. You should really try it it's a physics based instagib game with dodgeballs so no hitscan and ballistic projectile charge-shot mechanics. http://www.82apps.com/DiscoDodgeball/

Erik Asmussen the dev was kind enough to give me permission to port one of the best maps from his crazy dodgeball FPS. When I saw the map I knew it had this RA3 feel that would go great in Reflex. I made a few alterations to make some extra routes possible and adjusted the scale as best I could. Items were placed hastily, the map is really meant for arena mode.

nHSx3W7.png

http://reflexfiles.com/file/98

Hi,

Thanks for this map, I was just tested it and she smells really fun! :)

It's really nice to have, like she is, a map in the same time fun and skilled, who can be played in AFFA and ATDM. :wub:

But like me (...) you have the bug for the double-jump on the ramps in the middle because they had an angle. :(

Thank you again, she's already on the map list of my server : "[FR] Vil1 Arena Server Exclusively" : 37.187.158.76:25867

;)

Edit : I just saw you have only 8 spawns, can you add more spawns plz ? Like a total of 10 or 12 ?

OK I'll take notes for the next update:

- will add 2-4 more spawns

- ramps in the middle-top are as is from RRDD version, would a flat lip / steeper angle make them more fun?

- items: if you do try in TDM or FFA let me know how they work or if you find a better arrangement

- Colors: how is visibility, is the skybox too blue/cold? want some extra lights anywhere?

- roof or keep open?

- more fine decorations/trim or keep plain & small filesize?

OK I'll take notes for the next update:

- will add 2-4 more spawns

- ramps in the middle-top are as is from RRDD version, would a flat lip / steeper angle make them more fun?

- items: if you do try in TDM or FFA let me know how they work or if you find a better arrangement

- Colors: how is visibility, is the skybox too blue/cold? want some extra lights anywhere?

- roof or keep open?

- more fine decorations/trim or keep plain & small filesize?

Thanks. And for answer to you :

- Nice. :)

- No the ramps are pretty good, we just need to have a degub of it. ;)

- I don't think items are necessary on this map because I don't think she is playable with selfdamage but it's like you want.

- If the clear color was replaced by a slightly darker color it would help for the white crosshair. ;)

- I think a roof is a better choice but it's like you prefer.

- And I don't think you need to work more without some new textures. :)

Regards

Edit : Oh, I forgot one point, that will be really better for all the players, I think, if you will add a new texture (like red for exemple) only for the little ramps of double-jump because with speed it's not really easy to see it. ;)

Feed Back : We just played the map Full (8) and that was really good! First time in AFFA and after in ATDM. I confirm the map is really playable with more players in ATDM and I think it's the best mode for playing it because you can more enjoying the movements with the fights. :)

One more question, do you think the last 4 spawnpoints should go on the top sides where I have LGs now? or down on the floor?

also if you want to see the original map for ideas, watch from 12:00 http://www.twitch.tv/brianreddus/c/5814838

I think you can easily place the 4 new spawns at the same height as the others then in one concerns of equity why not? ;)

Sorry for my poor english and thanks for your twitch link, really funny to see the original ! :lol:

Edit :

- Yes, you was right, the positions of the LGs are nice for the new spawns. ;)

- And if you want try something great, instead 48 of height for the block of double-jump in the middle put 64, so 64/224/224 instead 48/224/224 : they are not bugged (!?!) and this double-jump beginning really a great bonus for the movements imo. ;)

hey I havent forgotten I promise! I am super super busy in real life right now so have been unable to work on it but I will get to the next version soon. 

In the mean time please feel free if you want to edit it and make a "fork" and try to find a design that is more fun to play! if you come up with any remix versions post in the same thread.

when I get back home (travelling) I will work again on the official version.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay but this is my version, available on "[FR] Vil1 Arena Server Exclusively" : 37.187.158.76:25867, of Octagon with the agreement of Blindlight by MP:

https://mega.co.nz/#!4UJyVLCb!kIziMgyJYmDewReiJitTjdnz7dHAarr7zrvJqehQiRg

There are three modifications :

- Version without items

- With 4 spawnpoints added on the top sides where there were the LGs

- And with 64 of height for the blocks of double-jump in the middle instead of 48, so 64/224/224 instead 48/224/224 for to be trixed ;)

Thanks again