A. Benz

Top (max) 5 things, that you dislike the most about Reflex (05.01.2015)

The lack of an options GUI could put people off who don't want to mess with configs, im sure this is on the to-do list but its more important than I think people make it out to be.

I really want the ability to mirror a map, im sure the devs have it also on their to-do list.

I would also like to have an option to delete everything inside a brush and alternatively everything outside a brush (To get rid of random stuff 10 miles out of your map).

I want the ability to apply a texture to only one face of a brush or some other way to make borders easier.

1) No walk/crouch to prevent me from sliding around in the editor, moving down, crouching so i don't hit my head on stuff when strafing and no walking to prevent me from making noise when descending a staircase

2) How I live far away from all the servers and get 70+ms when everyone else has 30 and destroys me with LG

3) Weapon switch delay on reload. Can't do sweet LG combos, get punished for using LG when I should be using rockets so it makes more sense to just keep rockets out most of the time. LG feels underpowered to me but I'm used to CPM on LAN

4) No friendly/enemy models/sound fx

5) Rocket knockback being super whacky and going around corners/negating high ground advantage all the time. Cant wait for next patch for it to be by design/intended map feature instead of "you may as well just jump at him and dump rockets everywhere because you're safer midair than on this ledge"

6) No zoom bind makes me shitty at rails because I play 130 FOV and clicking tiny green lines is hard

"Spawn raping" being a part of any game Is an obvious symptom of bad balance, especially if it's prevalent in players of equal skill Level.

Well you can take cpm and say it has the highest recovery of any fps, and one death means little to nothing. The rng deaths in cpm end up being around the same amount of rng as zvz scouting in sc2 and much less rng than your pub teams in counter strike/mobas, so it's not like it brings something out of the ordinary to the table.

This game also intends to be a little less anal rapey than cpm for new users though, with a small but existent weapon switch time, spawn delay (you can see where you are spawning and click when you want to spawn), and more powerful spawning weapon/weapons.

@prodigy

Iktf, playing at 130 fov actually makes zoom pretty damn useful. Thankfully the community isn't playing atdm on theatre of pain size maps (mostly because i've made most of the large maps) so it's not a big deal atm.

If you guys are having issues with zoom, you can just do something like 

bind c weapon 4
addbind c r_fov 130
addbind c m_speed 7
for each weapon and then have a bind that changes your FOV and sens to your "zoomed in" level.

6) No zoom bind makes me shitty at rails because I play 130 FOV and clicking tiny green lines is hard

Git gud. Zoom is for scrubs.

Really the only thing I would change at this point is nerf rocket to 80 and buff bolt gun to 100 damage.

*Not in any order*

• The amount of pop-up you get when you get slightly hit by Rockets. You just get juggled and pushed around uncontrollably.
  • The 'aim-punch' when you get hit by Ion Cannon. Knockback is enough.
  • The Burst-Gun as your starting weapon. I think your starting weapon should be hitscan.
  • Your movement on the ground isn't as controllable as I'd like it to be. (Trying to stop your strafe in the same spot multiple times in a row is very inconsistent)
  • The spawns need to be based on the enemies position and where they are looking. They also need to be consistent so players don't get 'revenge spawns.'

How to be passive-aggressive by Smileycythe. Now as eBook.

How is spawn killing any fun or competitive? Would love to hear any reasonable argument to justify spawn killing.

If you refer to the LG nerf with 2. you clearly read what you want to read. The fact the LG is overpowered atm simply stands. Ask hal_9000 ...guess he isn't a newcomer, right? Most people playing b30 will tell you the same: the LG is too strong. ( newborn already nerfed it afaik ).

Having the spawns be consistent and predictable (which means there will be spawn killing) is extremely important to have.

Randomness is something you always want to avoid when it comes to competitive.

And plus, if I kill someone, it's their fault they died and they should NEVER get rewarded for doing so.

Not having spawn killing would defeat the purpose of having map control and teamwork. It would kill competitive.

I completely agree that you shouldn't spawn 2ft in front of your enemy if there are other spawns available.

On the topic of spawns, a choose-your-own spawn system would be just as bad as a random one.

Skins are hard... always killing team mates in big games...

set game mode via cmd line / var instead of call vote

disabling call vote

making the bolt have higher damage... it's really weak sauce compared to the rail from q3 (well feels like it). Rocket launcher seems to be dominate weapon, purely because of dps and wall banging.

chain gun seems far too powerful. Needs a cool down or something.

where is my plasma rifle for wall jumping? :D

We were aware it would be there the moment we did splash damage but the planned system isn't quite so easy to implement. We want to fix stair-armor and allow splash through certain surfaces. The current damage through walls is definitely going though.

strangely this is a mechanic the guys on our server like. It opens up some more interesting game play.

strangely this is a mechanic the guys on our server like. It opens up some more interesting game play.

It's cool and funny for casual play but not good for competitive play because it nullifies positional advantage in a lot of places on a lot of maps. Maybe Turbo Pixel can add a server setting to enable it for "just for fun" servers?

It's cool and funny for casual play but not good for competitive play because it nullifies positional advantage in a lot of places on a lot of maps. Maybe Turbo Pixel can add a server setting to enable it for "just for fun" servers?

I agree, and just read the feb update with it not being able to penetrate 8ups. Sounds good to me.

penetrate 8ups.

Made me lol haha

Here's my list.

1. LG pushback. I think the LG is really balanced in this game but the one thing I hate if how hard it pushes you when you get hit. It pretty much stops you completely if you get hit in the front. Maybe slightly reduce the pushback?
  2. In it's current state I think the Burst Gun is pretty useless. I totally understand that as a spawn weapon it should not be better than any of the pickups, but even then I still think it should do around 40-45 damage.
  3. No right click in the server browser. Should have options like copy server IP so you could send it to your mates or whatever. Also ability to search/sort server browser by map, gametype, ping, gamemode etc would be sick. I'm sure it's planned for the future but I felt the need to point it out as it wasn't in the development roadway unless im retarded and i missed it
  4. So I might be biased because the Stake Gun is my favourite weapon in the game but I feel like it's a huge shame that it's not found on most maps. I guess this is more for the map makers and not the game devs though.
  5. More HUD options. I'm not a big fan of how much screen space the HUD takes up, maybe a minimal mode with smaller bars for health and ammo and a more minimal wapon panel?

Thanks for listening to the community as always

EDIT: Oh, one more thing regarding the HUD, is there any chance to make the game timer centered in the screen instead of in the top right corner as the Steam streaming overlay covers up the timer making it unreadable.

If anything, the IC knockback needs a buff, not a nerf. Hitting perfect IC on someone from directly below them is not sufficient to levitate them, and I'm pretty sure everyone here would agree it should be able to do that.

HUD updates will be coming in a future update. (Patch 32 iirc)

1. IC knockback

Knockback of IC is way too fucking low, whole weapon is useless cuz you cant deny movement even if you hit 100%.

2. Rocket bounce

Fights revolve around who gets the first good pop, after it game is pretty much over. Bounce should have more force so that players would fly further away so it wouldnt be so easy to hit 3-4 air rockets in row.

3. Through wall rockets

Rocket dmg through walls makes rockets even more OP, however this will be fixed in the next patch if I have got it right.

4. Chaingun

Its bullshit, just another LG with infinite range. Should be replaced by plasma gun which would be great for defensive play and more fitting to scifi theme.

5. Rocket DPS

As it is so easy to bounce with rockets and hit air rockets rocket DPS is highest among all close-mid range fights, even if the other player is hitting sick IC or whatever. With rocket you gain a ton of control of your opponents movement, why the fuck you should gain the most damage too?

Hope these issues will be resolved soon. Balancing of the game should be top priority at this point, its fast to make some changes to variables and as its alpha you can always change them back if people dont find it good. Its better to make mistakes early than too late.

Balancing the game is definitely not top priority at this point. Balance depends on the mechanics and their details. For example, you could buff the IC knockback, but when ground accel gets changed, you might just end up changing it back (or to something very similar). 

2. Rocket bounce

Fights revolve around who gets the first good pop, after it game is pretty much over. Bounce should have more force so that players would fly further away so it wouldnt be so easy to hit 3-4 air rockets in row.

???

r u ok???

Aim punch?

When you're getting hit with the Ion Cannon it pushes your crosshair around and makes it harder to aim. This promotes the player who fires their Ion Cannon first, and not the first to do full dmg.

1. ic 2 weak

2. bolt 2 gay

3. game feels weird and fast coming from cpma, something to do with ground accel?

4. stupid start up music and gameplay. i dont want to be assed to deal with loud stuff as soon as i launch the game, let me join a server first

5. what fastidious said about no indicator for where the spawns are/no hoony mode

how else am i supposed to learn spawns

1. Need a Fast-switch (in Arena)

In Arena the time to switch broke my gameplay.

2. Need more Rockets (in Arena)

In Arena I don't play like I want and can't use my "skill in speed" because in the most of time I can't run the map.

3. Through wall rockets

Rocket dmg through walls are "insane", however this will be fixed in the next patch if I have got it right.

4. IC knockback

Knockback of IC is way too fucking low. (copyright jjjuho)

5. Need Plasma gun

The Plasma gun was the only weapon of attack-defense and it is a loss in several situations, and especially, in Arena, in terms of teamplay.

When you're getting hit with the Ion Cannon it pushes your crosshair around and makes it harder to aim. This promotes the player who fires their Ion Cannon first, and not the first to do full dmg.

This is probably just because your model is getting knockback and perhaps it is also your reaction to it.  I haven't played this game properly in a while so perhaps something like this is deliberately coded in but I doubt it, perhaps one of the developers or admins could comment on this?

1. ic 2 weak

2. bolt 2 gay

3. game feels weird and fast coming from cpma, something to do with ground accel?

4. stupid start up music and gameplay. i dont want to be assed to deal with loud stuff as soon as i launch the game, let me join a server first

5. what fastidious said about no indicator for where the spawns are/no hoony mode

how else am i supposed to learn spawns

Just delete the main menu music and demo