newborn

0.30.x - New! Improved! Netcode!

That will still cost you control. You have to waste time prefiring red and green armor, then if he spawns on red he will spawn with 100/150, that's at least 3 direct rockets to kill, by that time he will have killed you or gotten away with a significant stack. And even if you manage to win the scenario, the second respawn will finish you off. Containing the respawned played in the lg area is pretty much impossible as well because he now has stack advantage. Basically your way of not choking is to give up control and try another day.

You know very well there's a chance of spawning to RA when you happen to be on the other side of the map with the forced spawns system as well. I'm curious what you like to complain about when that happens, maybe you'll claim that every RA fight ever happens precisely on that same spot at the bottom of the stairs. You seem to be making a special kind of deal of RA spawn only when it happens when you stand next to it, for what it is worth the biased random system would make even that less likely to happen, but you seem to be judging it by style points based under whatever convenience you would prefer. It's okay for the enemy to spawn in RA, but only if you're not standing under it. Okay.

You know very well there's a chance of spawning to RA when you happen to be on the other side of the map with the forced spawns system as well. I'm curious what you like to complain about when that happens, maybe you'll claim that every RA fight ever happens precisely on that same spot at the bottom of the stairs. You seem to be making a special kind of deal of RA spawn only when it happens when you stand next to it, for what it is worth the biased random system would make even that less likely to happen, but you seem to be judging it by style points based under whatever convenience you would prefer. It's okay for the enemy to spawn in RA, but only if you're not standing under it. Okay.

If you manage to get RA in CPMA by spawning there then it was my fault for leaving it up for grabs, that scenario is completely unrelated. (This might be the point where you want to bring up that you can get a random spawn in cpma by committing suicide, but i never claimed that the CPMA spawnsystem is flawless and i don't like that mechanic either).

It doesn't matter whether the fight happens on the red stairs or at the hp bubbles, fact is that you won the fight for RA and you still lose it and in turn you will lose a good bit of stack advantage. Just because you don't die because of the lucky spawn doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt you significantly. In CPMA people quite often just dive in and grab mega even though they know they won't survive it, just so that their opponent can't get it.

If you manage to get RA in CPMA by spawning there then it was my fault for leaving it up for grabs, that scenario is completely unrelated.

Yes, you have hard enough time "picking up a HP bubble in 500ms", but attempting to grab RA is just taking it to another level. You saying it's unrelated just confirms that you think every RA fight does and should happen close by RA.

(This might be the point where you want to bring up that you can get a random spawn in cpma by committing suicide, but i never claimed that the CPMA spawnsystem is flawless and i don't like that mechanic either).

It doesn't matter whether the fight happens on the red stairs or at the hp bubbles, fact is that you won the fight for RA and you still lose it and in turn you will lose a good bit of stack advantage. Just because you don't die because of the lucky spawn doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt you significantly. In CPMA people quite often just dive in and grab mega even though they know they won't survive it, just so that their opponent can't get it.

So in other words, this is bullshit. I acknowledge that both kinds of spawn systems works fine, I know that because nobody seems to care about it in Quakeworld anymore and Quakeworld got 5+ years on CPMA. I'm not saying CPMA's spawn system is not competitive at all whatsoever, but I simply prefer improvised spawn frags over predictable spawn frags. Quakeworld's aerowalk plays fine and I'm confident it would also play fine in Reflex with the same mechanics, all it takes is that people who share your opinion would comprehend the changes and learn to play with them. In the end it hardly changes anything except that it makes spawn fragging a bit harder, puts situational awareness and quick thinking to a tougher test which in my book is an improvement for a competitive setting. edit: It also adds a little bit of lucky moments like you said, but that doesn't matter in contrast to everything else that it gives.

Yes, you have hard enough time "picking up a HP bubble in 500ms", but attempting to grab RA is just taking it to another level.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

You saying it's unrelated just confirms that you think every RA fight does and should happen close by RA.

How often do you get in a fight for red which doesn't block the red spawn then? And even if it does happen, at least you don't get bubble blasted instantly.

So in other words, this is bullshit. I acknowledge that both kinds of spawn systems works fine, I know that because nobody seems to care about it in Quakeworld anymore and Quakeworld got 5+ years on CPMA. I'm not saying CPMA's spawn system is not competitive at all whatsoever, but I simply prefer improvised spawn frags over predictable spawn frags. Quakeworld's aerowalk plays fine and I'm confident it would also play fine in Reflex with the same mechanics, all it takes is that people who share your opinion would comprehend the changes and learn to play with them. In the end it hardly changes anything except that it makes spawn fragging a bit harder, puts situational awareness and quick thinking to a tougher test which in my book is an improvement for a competitive setting. edit: It also adds a little bit of lucky moments like you said, but that doesn't matter in contrast to everything else that it gives.

Nobody seems to care about it in QW anymore because there are like 5 people playing QW. And just because it works in QW doesn't mean it works in a CPMA like game (also from what i've heard quite a few QW players aren't too fond of the spawnsystem either).

Just because i can deal with a gameplay mechanic doesn't mean i'll embrace it. Do i think that this will wreck the gameplay? Certainly not, but why have something in the game which doesn't do any good just because it's different from CPMA.

All this does is shift the frustration from the bad player to the good player.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

Just turning your resounding 500ms argument against you, come on. Don't make me read your comments for you.

Nobody seems to care about it in QW anymore because there are like 5 people playing QW. 

5 and 17, what difference does it make? I'm disappointed that you would resort to that comment, Reflex forums is now only one Hitsu away from ESR.

All this does is shift the frustration from the bad player to the good player.

And this is where this argument started from basically. All from the perspective of situations only when it's inconvenient for you, which brings us back to post one (34). Fuck the luck of the opponent, but me lucking is okay though and wait no, when it's myself I'm talking about it's not luck. It's skill and not unfair in any way.

Just because i can deal with a gameplay mechanic doesn't mean i'll embrace it. 

Of course you do, because when things go your way you don't complain about it. Your arguments throughout implies this, as they address only one issue, the one above. If you insist, you can have it. I'm done, I don't care.

Hi,

OS is Windows 7 Home Premium. Service Pack 1. 64 bit.

Resolution in windows is 1920x1080. For the purpose of testing i also tried1600x900 in windows.

Monitor is Benq XL2420t.

Hardware is Intel i5-3450, 3 Ghz. RAM 8 gig. Gfx Nvidia Geforce GTX 670.

I figured it was something with the vsync or resolution or something so i changed the resolution in Reflex from 1280x720 to 1600x900 and, also, 1920x1080, which worked! I did this while still on 1920x1080 in windows.  Further, I changed the resolution in windows to 1600x900, which worked in Reflex using both 1920x1080 and 1600x900, but not 1280x720. So, it turns out I cant play the new Reflex update on 1280x720. This is a bit of a bummer for me since I used to play QW in 320x240 - and enjoy playing Reflex in 1280x720. : D

Is this info sufficient? Thanks.

Woa, that's surprising :/ No idea how resolution alone could affect it.. What video card driver version? I've got a GTX660 here, i'll try reproduce it.

hi!

this update seems to include many cool things. however, i just tried it out and it doesnt feel very smooth at all. does any one else notice a kind of jittery/not very smooth feeling? i have good excellent ping and fps so it must be something else.

Have you changed com_maxfps from the default? I've found that setting that to certain values causes jerkiness, even though the displayed framerate is fine.

Just turning your resounding 500ms argument against you, come on. Don't make me read your comments for you.

No you didn't, you take two different scenarios and pretend like they are one. In one i am on the different side of the map and it's my fault red gets taken because i chose to take a fight on the other side of the map without picking up red first while in the other scenario i am severely weakened and someone spawns right next to me and you say i should've just picked up a health bubble in the 500ms it takes them to spawn. Maybe you should read my comments before trying to turn them around on me.

5 and 17, what difference does it make? I'm disappointed that you would resort to that comment, Reflex forums is now only one Hitsu away from ESR. 

Reflex forums are basically ESR because that's where 99% of all people came from. The point still stands that stuff proven to work in QW doesn't necessarily improve CPMA gameplay.

And this is where this argument started from basically. All from the perspective of situations only when it's inconvenient for you, which brings us back to post one (34). Fuck the luck of the opponent, but me lucking is okay though and wait no, when it's myself I'm talking about it's not luck. It's skill and not unfair in any way.

Of course you do, because when things go your way you don't complain about it. Your arguments throughout implies this, as they address only one issue, the one above. If you insist, you can have it. I'm done, I don't care.

This isn't convenient for me in any way, as stated before i am usually on the receiving end of spawnfrags, hence these luck spawns are usually in my favor. Doesn't mean i approve of them.

We have reached the first point of the argument again though, so from now on this can only be circlejerk. Cba to do that.

To be honest, the spawns are pretty good apart from when you've just won an item battle and are lowish hp(50 or so) and they spawn and bubble gun you, then proceed to get the item you just lost a stack for...

Though to be honest, that happens rarely but on a general cpm22 game it'll happen once, alas cpm22 sucks.

Though to be honest, that's happened rarely but on a general cpm22 game it'll happen once but alas cpm22 sucks.

That could indeed be solved with just getting rid of the RA spawn altogether or moving it somewhere else close by eg. one of those QL aero spawns on top. Not sure how aero fans would react to that though. Personally I would freak out, because untouched balls out Aerowalk action for life and something something elitism.

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but does the current netcode make it more playable if you have somewhere in the range of 70-90ms to server?

The netcode pretty much nulls your delay up to 80ms, at everything higher than that you have to lead by ping - 80ms.

definitely a lot less FPS for me on this build but I can feel the netcode and it's such a tease because my perfomance took a dive

:( has to be CPU because no graphics stuff has changed..

what CPU? how many players in game? etc.

Hi everyone,

Nice update! One thing I noticed is the dedicated server seems to be using more resources than the previous version. I don't have the last version anymore so I don't have actual #'s, but I'd say it's close to 20-30%. Will restart everything tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Client side I have had a few issues where I freeze up for a few seconds and then get booted from the server. I have to restart the game to connect to the server again.

Looking forward to the future of Reflex!

Cheers

Hi everyone,

Nice update! One thing I noticed is the dedicated server seems to be using more resources than the previous version. I don't have the last version anymore so I don't have actual #'s, but I'd say it's close to 20-30%. Will restart everything tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Client side I have had a few issues where I freeze up for a few seconds and then get booted from the server. I have to restart the game to connect to the server again.

Looking forward to the future of Reflex!

Cheers

CPU loads are generally higher than they were in 0.29.0 since the server has a lot more work to do with the new netcode. There was a bug that was causing higher CPU usage that has been fixed in 0.30.4 so make sure you're up to date.

Engine feels rly good now. Rly good work! I wish there were more people playing it though :(

Is there alrdy a command to get the timer to count up in duel?

this. aint gonna play another duel till count up its implemented