TaNtRa

Plans for Mac/Linux support?

Has there been any official word on whether OSX/Linux support is planned for Reflex?  The features list on the reflexfps.net homepage doesn't list it as planned (although I assume that "and more" could, of course, extend to OS support), and I haven't seen much discussion regarding it.  As a Mac user, Quake Live killing OSX support was a major factor in my decision to move away from the game, and no doubt for many others. 

I guess IF ..then it's more than far away. Keep in mind they only have 1 coder and this isn't a small task. They'd need to add OpenGL support and and and. If you then look at the amount of people you would be doing this for .... dunno.

I guess IF ..then it's more than far away. Keep in mind they only have 1 coder and this isn't a small task. They'd need to add OpenGL support and and and. If you then look at the amount of people you would be doing this for .... dunno.

Man sometimes it sound like you enjoy bringing bad news to people..

Last time I've asked about linux dedicated servers I was told that they dont do it currently themselves but have 'somebody' contracted to make it therefore it might take a bit of time to finish and it is not the priority. I guess it might come in time but seeing how many important features this game still lacks I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.

Linux dedicated server support is on the way, client support is very far away and mac support probably even further. It's a lot of effort for a very small fraction of the playerbase, it's not really worth it with the limited funds they have right now.

Cool, any chance you can link to source?

Sorry, I dont save logs from the IRC... but if you have any questions its the fastest way to get an answer out of newborn  ;)

Man sometimes it sound like you enjoy bringing bad news to people..

Last time I've asked about linux dedicated servers I was told that they dont do it currently themselves but have 'somebody' contracted to make it therefore it might take a bit of time to finish and it is not the priority. I guess it might come in time but seeing how many important features this game still lacks I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.

Just being honest. 

OP asked about client support anyways...not server. And last time i checked newborn said linux dedi is getting done here and there, but without focus on it for now, since they have more important things on the list. I've actually never heard/read newborn say they outsourced development for linux dedi ... source? Just curious.

Just being honest. 

OP asked about client support anyways...not server. And last time i checked newborn said linux dedi is getting done here and there, but without focus on it for now, since they have more important things on the list. I've actually never heard/read newborn say they outsourced development for linux dedi ... source? Just curious.

you can be honest and polite at the same time :) no source newborn said they got 'some guys' working on it, not like they have hire another company just somebody else helping out with that aspect.

OSX/Linux clients are something we'd like to do but for now, it just doesn't make sense. It either costs us a lot of development time or it costs us a lot of money and we don't have tons of either right now ;). Someone suggested a Kickstarter to raise money just for the port but I'm not sure it would hit its target.

Hi,

I totally understand why a linux port would not be high prio ATM.

However, it would be pretty f*cking awesome to finally have a FPS running smoothly on linux that can actually beat Quake III.

Especially for people like me who would never ever switch back to Windows.

Also: the gameplay looks great so far, keep up the good work!

Cheers.

As much as I understand Linux is a low priority right now I still think it's unfourtunate. I installed Win10 on a partition for the sole intention of playing Reflex, but Win10 used 100% HDD every 2min or so for some reason which caused tons of lags (couldn't pin-point the problem, it was neither the anti-virus or the history feature and now the HDD is b0rked).

I know quite some people wanting to try the game out but they used Linux (and that is people with FPS skills). Linux users are a bit spoiled since we have great support for Quake-like games (Xonotic, Warsow, q3, q1, even Quake Live did support Linux before), so even if Linux gamer userbase as a whole ain't that big the part of it that plays Quake games is quite big compared to Win/OSX scene.

I'm of the opinion that it would be prudent to wait for the new GLNext and Vulkan graphics API's being pioneered by Valve and other gaming industry giants before implementing cross-platform support.

Not only are they cross-platform, but they perform way better than anything available short of DX12 (which is, again, windows exclusive)