Sign in to follow this  
tehace

speed vs mapsize vs weapons

I wonder what do you guys feel about the current correlation between the player speed and weapon dmg/range in relation to map size.

I seem to struggle a lot with the 'scale' of things. Its like I would like to make a room that LG have range from one side to the other but If I do so its hard to include any meaningful jumps in it since the distances are so low compared to the movement speed/jump distances. With any decent speed I can make a stairs jump that goes for like 850+ units in ONE jump while LG have a range of like 730 or something. Than im making the room bigger but it shifts the weapon balance into Bolt being too strong.

My point is that the balance of speed and weapon characteristics seems kind of off... either extend the LG range, speed up rockets to compensate the speed of movement or decrease jump distances/speed boosts by some margin I've got a feeling like they somehow doesn't feel right (and I would probably lean more towards uping the weapons).

One thing I dislike about a lot of the maps is a lack of flat areas where shaft dominates.  Most maps seem to reward using the rockets since everything is so tight in many maps - narrow hallways, complex (lots of little details) small rooms, and the like. If there were some maps like pro-q3dm6, cpm4, or just maps with larger flat areas, we could see more shaft gameplay. While this does make larger maps that don't take as much advantage as possible of the movement, I think more maps that reward hitscan play instead of tight, fast, rocket combat would be better. cpm22 and dp4 feel like a breath of fresh air because they are specifically set up to reward hitscan usage in certain areas and make sure that you and your opponent will have to use hitscan- instead of it just being a compliment to a barrage of rockets.  I just want to see wider corridors and flat surfaces instead of the more cluttered maps in our current pool. 

Instead of complaining, I should be making my own big maps. But you asked for it  ;)

One thing I dislike about a lot of the maps is a lack of flat areas where shaft dominates.  If there were some maps like pro-q3dm6, cpm4, or just maps with larger flat areas, we could see more shaft gameplay.

I think that is because people are trying to emphasis jumps too much.  I think bunny hopping is more than enough for regular movement and there doesn't need to be double jumps everywhere.  Most Reflex maps are littered with stairs, boxes, ramps and such, more so than any previous maps I've encountered.  In regards to double jumps I think less is more.

I think the range of the Iongun is fine.. if you make it longer, you would not need rail or chaingun anymore.. They should change increase attackspeed of Iongun to make it more effective.. And as they nerfed burstgun to death.. and will properly bring back plasmagun in reflex.. This game will be like CPM but without any MG... And I hope some kind of MG will stay in Reflex.. The DPS should be lower than Iongun, but on long range it should be a usable gun.. I don't mind some guns beeing stronger than other guns, but I hate weapons which are too weak to be usable in any way.. And I think the burstgun sucks now.

I think the range of the Iongun is fine.. if you make it longer, you would not need rail or chaingun anymore.. They should change increase attackspeed of Iongun to make it more effective.. And as they nerfed burstgun to death.. and will properly bring back plasmagun in reflex.. This game will be like CPM but without any MG... And I hope some kind of MG will stay in Reflex.. The DPS should be lower than Iongun, but on long range it should be a usable gun.. I don't mind some guns beeing stronger than other guns, but I hate weapons which are too weak to be usable in any way.. And I think the burstgun sucks now.

I'm agree with you. I think the plasmagun was always an important weapon because some plasma bullets being a role of attack-defence really fine. And I agree for the MG, if it was better I really think this weapon should interesting the gameplay and more again the teamplay, like the plasmagun of course, because 2 or 3 MG or PG shooting a "spot" can be really dangerous... ;)