Sign in to follow this  
Fastidious

NA 2v2 TDM league?

Been thinking about this for a while but since I have a server now I feel more comfortable trying to get a league rolling.  I've been playing more pickup TDM lately and hope we can get a community going in NA for it.  I'd like some suggestions for 2v2 TDM maps.

These maps seemed to play well:

DP4
THCDM13

There are a lot more maps to test however and I'm not completely sold on the two I mentioned either yet.  For a league I'd ideally want 3-5 maps at least.

The basic idea of the league would be a short season then playoffs.  Probably 2-4 week season and 2-3 week playoffs.  Not all teams would play each other to keep things exciting and unknown (ala NFL).  The purpose of the season would just be to seed the playoffs and weed out weaker teams.  I've never been into marathon seasons where every team plays each other.  If we get enough sign ups having skill divisions would be fine too (though it's hard to judge skills in the first season).  I'd probably limit team sizes to 3 players to encourage more team sign ups.  Long term I hope we can build up the NA community so we can run draft leagues for larger game TDM (4v4) and CTF (3v3).  My internet is fairly bad but hopefully we could work out some casting or streaming too.  I can work out a very basic website but if anyone could help with website or graphics, etc that'd be amazing.

Please post any map suggestions, ideas, comments or if you would be interested in playing.  Thanks.

I have never played tdm so I have no idea about it but arent those maps a bit small for 2v2?

Definitely not, Fastidious and I have began to become some sort of TDM partners and we've been doing a lot of 2v2 PUGs on my Mumble server as well as with random people who join, and the maps actually do play pretty well. We played DP4 quite a bit before, and tried THCDM13 last night, went very well along with BREIZDM4, which didn't necessarily play well due to RA's location making the game slow down for at least 35 seconds or more because you'd slip up with the tele/stair jump and the quickest way we could think of doing it to get there and move on would be an RJ.

TL;DR No, these maps played pretty well in 2v2.

Definitely not, Fastidious and I have began to become some sort of TDM partners and we've been doing a lot of 2v2 PUGs on my Mumble server as well as with random people who join, and the maps actually do play pretty well. We played DP4 quite a bit before, and tried THCDM13 last night, went very well along with BREIZDM4, which didn't necessarily play well due to RA's location making the game slow down for at least 35 seconds or more because you'd slip up with the tele/stair jump and the quickest way we could think of doing it to get there and move on would be an RJ.

TL;DR No, these maps played pretty well in 2v2.

I dont mind reading if somebody have something to say :) Do you by any chance have any videos of those games I would be willing to check them out to see how 2v2 works.

I have never played tdm so I have no idea about it but arent those maps a bit small for 2v2?

No, they seemed good actually.  Granted, we just got a few games in but typically a good duel map transfers well into 2v2 (but not always!).  2v2 play is more defensive because attacking into two players is a good way to die but to cover resources you generally need to split up at various times.  You also have to share and conserve resources in 2v2 where as in duel you can hog it all yourself.  If one partner in 2v2 is always weak, low on armor, etc he'll feed frags to the enemies.  In QW DM2 was used in 1v1, 2v2 and 4v4 TDM!  That is the map I was telling you about that is heavy on armors which changes things up a bit.  Unfortunately I don't have any videos or replays yet.  I guess now would be a good time to try and enable replays on my server and see how that goes.

EDIT: Apparently the server was recording replays already.  I thought I had to add a base/replays directory but it was there already.  Now I gotta download and see if they work.

Got any date in mind? I could probably wrap up my map in time which I think might be the right size for 2v2.

Hopefully within the next few weeks.  Probably give two weeks for sign ups then start near the end of February.  We mostly still need to figure out maps before we can start.  I'm hoping we can get 10+ teams.

BREIZDM4, which didn't necessarily play well due to RA's location making the game slow down for at least 35 seconds or more because you'd slip up with the tele/stair jump and the quickest way we could think of doing it to get there and move on would be an RJ.

Yeah BREIZDM4 was a lot rougher in 2v2 than duel because you'd always end up fighting near the tele to RA, which makes it very hard to get up there without a RJ.  You can also come from the other side to RA but that doesn't seem to flow nearly as well.

Here's a replay of 2v2 THCDM13,

https://mega.co.nz/#!W14RWACC!qbHQMJRarlgJS-_3ZGbzVqjkGbB_31oRnXMOGARMlTM

I think this was our only play on it for the night.  A bunch of people joined and we ended up playing too much ATDM instead of testing 2v2 maps.

Put the file in base/replays/ then unzip.  Then do play thcdm13_2v2_1 in the console to start the replay.  Do re_set_player_attached_to name to switch players, for instance re_set_player_attached_to fastidious would switch to my pov.

Here's a replay of 2v2 THCDM13,

https://mega.co.nz/#!W14RWACC!qbHQMJRarlgJS-_3ZGbzVqjkGbB_31oRnXMOGARMlTM

I think this was our only play on it for the night.  A bunch of people joined and we ended up playing too much ATDM instead of testing 2v2 maps.

Put the file in base/replays/ then unzip.  Then do play thcdm13_2v2_1 in the console to start the replay.  Do re_set_player_attached_to name to switch players, for instance re_set_player_attached_to fastidious would switch to my pov.

that was cool to watch, although how do I turn off spawn/targets and other stuff visible in the editor mode its kind of annoying to see them while watching replay...

on the side note if im not mistaken I havent seen a single bolt shot ;p

Snow is pouring in over here in Chicago and we've already cleared the driveway twice.  Yet it keeps coming.  Sounds like a good day for Reflex!

I'll be hanging out on the new mumble and I hope we can get some TDM pickups going today.  It'd be great to test more maps out.  All welcome!  :>

I liked afrodm1 the one time we played it 2v2.  Skull is also worth testing.  There are still a bunch of thc maps to test out as well.

Snow is pouring in over here in Chicago and we've already cleared the driveway twice.  Yet it keeps coming.  Sounds like a good day for Reflex!

I'll be hanging out on the new mumble and I hope we can get some TDM pickups going today.  It'd be great to test more maps out.  All welcome!  :>

I liked afrodm1 the one time we played it 2v2.  Skull is also worth testing.  There are still a bunch of thc maps to test out as well.

oh lol yeah I kind of made them too big for 1v1 with lots of corridors/connections but they might play better in 2v2 :) I would probably start with 3 5 6 if you find any potential but needs amendments let me know.

I dont mind reading if somebody have something to say :) Do you by any chance have any videos of those games I would be willing to check them out to see how 2v2 works.

I don't, sadly. I'm running a laptop that would be unable to record and you wouldn't wanna see my tiny resolution ;)

Maybe after a while someone would start uploading some 2v2 frags

EDIT: Just saw Fastidious' post, gonna check that replay out

I would probably start with 3 5 6 if you find any potential but needs amendments let me know.

Now that I've checked out most of your maps I notice they sorta have a 2 side design for most.  Those three you mentioned seem decent, I think 6 is my favorite (play tested it a little too).  6 is the most heavily divided I feel but it has numerous ways to attack each side.  That'll be a good mix of defensive vs offensive play where as maps like DP4 are very offensive in comparison I think.

What days normally work for you Fast?

Weekdays I'm good after 7pm cst.