newborn

Development Roadmap (February 2015)

Nothing mentioned about ground accel change? Or i missed it? ... Its just way too fast at moment   :(  Or is it hard to implement/change ? And how about that damage splashes on screen when u get hit , usually its too hard to see even crosshair in heavy firefights :D its bloody mess on screen .(nice triplepost gangnoob btw )

Ground acceleration might change for the next update. It's not difficult to change itself (it's a single number in a single piece of code), but it has knock on effects across the entire movement (can't cjump as far etc) so it requires a lot of rebalancing other values.

It's also worth mentioning that while this is the current plans we have in place, it by no means that it won't change. We're pretty reactive and change our priorities according to how the updates are received. It's a delicate balance of prioritizing what the community needs vs what we need to continue developing with systems internally.

If you're finding that things are missing from the list, chances are it's because we've prioritized more important things behind the scenes. Our backlog of things to do is insanely scary, but we do pull things from it eventually based on priority.

tldr: we're flat out, take a seat and enjoy the show, big changes are coming and we're doing as much as we can ;) Happy players happy devs

banana

Guest Furioness

Ground acceleration might change for the next update. It's not difficult to change itself (it's a single number in a single piece of code), but it has knock on effects across the entire movement (can't cjump as far etc) so it requires a lot of rebalancing other values.

Let's give possible to change it from console. Add some block for it, like "sv_cheats 1".

The best cominations will be set like default settings.

where is the problem? explosion 1 is going to make less damage, its more far away than explosion 2

I'm not saying that this is a problem. Asking the question, I would like to clarify for myself the original test to start the calculation 'splash damage' will wall thickness or the distance traveled by the blast wave. You answered my question. Thank U.

I've been lurking and waiting patiently for the map editor tools to get improved.  At the very least the group select and rotate will get me back in to make more optimizations to Deflex.  The way textures and tint system will be handled sounds like the idea I suggested a while ago.  It will give map designers a nearly unlimited color palette to work with while reducing overhead.  I have a question though, did it reduce overhead as drastically as hoped?  Hopefully the tint system itself hasn't added overhead to make the gains negligible.  Can we get some before/after metrics.  Just interested to know how much it really helped.

Designers will build stairs and walls to either allow for damage or not.  Damage through walls and the thickness required is a game developers decision.  It doesn't matter how thick/thin those tolerances are because mappers can always build thicker stairs or walls.   This is not a mistake, it is design decision. 

That would be a good way. I use copy/paste between two copies of GTKradiant... e.g. one runs my modules map (all the stuff I properly built and textured once) and the other the actual map that uses those modules. I am not quite sure Reflex can be run twice... hmm...

The more obvious copy/paste would be in the editor itself... though admittedly I normally use clone (in Radiant) almost all the time instead.

Guest wareya

Please use instances, not just pasted/imported prefabs. Especially if you get hierarchical instances.

Ha... someone in the know... indeed hierarchical instancing, found in CODradiant, would really be awesome. Over at Quake3World we had a discussion on the subject.

For those interested a brief summary for what that might be good for: Imagine a more or less open map, with a building. The building is an instance... and for all intents and purposes that house can be moved, rotated scaled with all textures nicely staying aligned. In Q3A that would be a model, in UT3 it would be a static mesh. But since it is a hierarchical instance, a key press lets you edit that instance... i.e. when you edit it the house turns into a map of it's own, everything nicely co-planar aligned, and the practical thing, the house can be build and edited in-editor, not requiring external modelling tools. All this is brush-bashed! But this does not end here... the stairs, lamps, even the wooden planks in the house are actually also instances, and you can go in to edit those as well. Any change to an instance will automatically be reflected in all the calls to that instance, i.e. if you smear a graffiti on a plank, suddenly all planks show that smearing in the main map.

Personally I would love to see something like that, especially the seamless transition between map, to instance, to sub-instance, and back to the main map... thus expanding the real-time efficiency already present in Reflex. But I have the feeling this may be asking too much.

In GTKradiant and Q3A you can build small caulk box maps with brush-based "objects" in them, that the compiler can then turn into ASE models to be loaded into the main map... advantage: rotation does not mess into texture alignment. This is already a very primitive, clunky form of instancing. So if Reflex could do a more elegant job, e.g. making Prefabs act as instances that could be a possible way, maybe.

Vote kick / vote remove are already in for the next update.

How about a countdown timer in warmup to readyup? The other day I was in a 1v1 server where a guy refused to press F3 for about 20 minutes and there was various people waiting to play. Over the 20 minutes of waiting I witnessed people joining and leaving over and over, just wasting everyones time.

Has this been implemented for next update? I'd say it's pretty essential.

Sounds sick guys, looking forward to it

EDIT: I've persuaded like 10 of my CS/TF2 boys to get the game but some of them can't run it so they're holding off until the next update to pull the trigger. Looking forward to it even more now!

Performance increase seems great. I don't have a measure but before the update I wouldn't play with dynamic lights and shadows because of frame drops that I now don't have with the high config. Core 2 duo and 660Ti 3GB.

This release may also see an experimental Respawn Preview system implemented. The way this works is that after dying, your view is teleported to where you will be respawning but you are not actually spawned until you click. This adds some meta to the spawn system. Players could wait to spawn to avoid a nearby enemy or stay safely dead until a nearby item respawns. They could spawn sooner, prepared to quickly finish off a weak player nearby (or telefrag them if they're stupid enough to stand on the spawn). 

Like all the experimental features it ultimately comes down to how it plays. If it adds nothing significant to gameplay (or worsens it), it'll be stripped out. If it's awesome, it can be tweaked and built upon (this system could easily evolve into a "choose your own spawn" system if it looked like that system would have value).

Choose your own spawn might be a really good option for CTF or any team mode that has some form of a "base". 

as a side note to the spawn system, i think it would work out good, ie "spawn now, new random spawn" but something id like to see implemented is a killcam, obviously enabled by server or not :D had a few kills ida loved the enemy see themselves get killed again :P