newborn

Development Roadmap (February 2015)

Any news on knockback being fixed? The vertical-only rocket bounces and lack of IC knockback makes it hard to play the game much right now.

Biggest issue for me too at the moment, its just not fun when rockets are dumbed down to be easy as fuck and IC nerfed to point that its not usable.

rockets are dumbed down to be easy as fuck

Can you quantify this for me? I agree with you, but I can't figure out why they seem that way. Don't they move slower than QL rockets right now? Or is it just the popup when you get hit? I can't get a feel just playing the game for what would fix rockets.

Can you quantify this for me? I agree with you, but I can't figure out why they seem that way. Don't they move slower than QL rockets right now? Or is it just the popup when you get hit? I can't get a feel just playing the game for what would fix rockets.

No matter where the rocket lands in relation to you, you always go straight toward the ceiling. This makes it nearly impossible to miss a second, third, and forth rocket to frag someone that was fully stacked. The rocket launcher is the most important item in the game right now.

Any news on knockback being fixed? The vertical-only rocket bounces and lack of IC knockback makes it hard to play the game much right now.

It's definitely a known problem we want to address. The very short lived 32.1 with its nearly non-existent air deceleration actually improved things significantly for rocket knockback but there was a lot of negative feedback about how it felt.

Biggest issue for me too at the moment, its just not fun when rockets are dumbed down to be easy as fuck and IC nerfed to point that its not usable.

You make it sound like the current balance is deliberate but it's very definitely not. I'd love it if we were able to say "Right, today we're going to implement perfect gameplay and all of the systems required for that" but the reality is that all of these things take time and they all mean that something else doesn't happen.

I've never played CPM and my only reference point is QuakeLive, but it definitely feels for me that rockets and to a lesser extent the yellow rifle and grenade launcher are the only way to go.

That being said I think focusing on weapon balance now is short sighted when lots of elements of the game are aren't there yet to support that balance. I also think some weapons should probably be rethought dramatically, such as the laser gun and machine gun. I understand that giving the laser more range might make it op, but as it is the arbitrary cut off to the laser just doesn't feel or look right at all. Maybe instead the laser should have endless range but changes color and gets way weaker at long range. It could do something like 12 dmg and be bright red at very close range and then taper off to 2 dmg and be a dim yellow at the range where it currently cuts off.

You make it sound like the current balance is deliberate but it's very definitely not. I'd love it if we were able to say "Right, today we're going to implement perfect gameplay and all of the systems required for that" but the reality is that all of these things take time and they all mean that something else doesn't happen.

Please don't let you burn this out. I know I've seen you saying this a lot lately, and I know it gets to you after a while. I was bitching about rocket bounce the other day, but it didn't occur to me until yesterday or so that it's a consequence of the knockback system. I knew that intuitively, but I'd only ever thought about knockback in the context of the LG.

Most people know this stuff from the forums, and I'd hate to see the constant nagging about some of this stuff build up and drive the dev team to discouragement or something.

I understand that giving the laser more range might make it op, but as it is the arbitrary cut off to the laser just doesn't feel or look right at all.

I never thought about that. It really doesn't make sense for a laser to be that short, and then just stop all of a sudden, does it? Hah!

I never thought about that. It really doesn't make sense for a laser to be that short, and then just stop all of a sudden, does it? Hah!

Are you implying that Star Wars makes no sense? You are on thin ice here mate.

After reading the post in the new UI forum I just want to say that I'm really happy with the approach your taking to player freedom and allowing information to be presented nicely to the player. I've always despised the various ways that games hide information that someone can otherwise easily get without using any kind of cheat (with either completely external programs or even pysical objects) and are completely unpolicable outside of LAN. Things like the centre of the screen for sniper rifles in CS, which just takes an overlay or a piece of tape, or the timer in CPMA, which just takes a simple timer program or even an actual clock, etc.

In situations like these although it might not conform to the designers intentions ultimately it's unavoidable and I think it shows a lot of self awareness and forethought to tacke it head on like this so early in development.
Stay based devs.