newborn

0.31.2 - Looks better, runs faster.

the grid textures in 31.1 feels much more pronounced

http://thc333.com/reflex/screenshot00052.jpg

and the dark grey materials feels almost like black :) additionally if you look at the below screenshot you might think that I have ceelings in lighter grey but I dont its all grey64

http://thc333.com/reflex/screenshot00053.jpg

http://thc333.com/reflex/screenshot00054.jpg

all surfaces here are grey64 - http://thc333.com/reflex/screenshot00055.jpg

its like from certain angles the light interact weiirdly with the surfaces if you look at this

http://thc333.com/reflex/screenshot00056.jpgthe MH area looks ok but the wall Im next to is lit as fuck :)

than when I move down the same thing starts to happen to MH area - http://thc333.com/reflex/screenshot00057.jpg

the grid textures in 31.1 feels much more pronounced

http://thc333.com/reflex/screenshot00052.jpg

Noted that as well.

In AEpyraR looking at the floors I am seeing that the grid is getting blurred a few steps away from the player. I did run vid_high.cfg... so I am wondering what might be causing that. I did not recompile the map... should that make a difference.

Noted that as well.

In AEpyraR looking at the floors I am seeing that the grid is getting blurred a few steps away from the player. I did ran vid_high.cfg... so I am wondering what might be causing that. I did not recompile the map... should that make a difference.

Yes it looks like kind of DOF effect :)

Is it just me or do stairjumps etc. feel "right" now, after the input fix? Before, I would get really frustrated because I felt like I was doing the motions correctly and just wouldn't make it sometimes. Even a simple doublejump or rampjump would botch somehow. Now it feels even better!

same here. having way less trouble with movement now.

awesome :)

it kinda feels like my airspeed is way higher than before. just better feeling after engine changes, myself (have not played in a while) or bug?

Reduced shadow near clip from 16 to 2.   // Still needs testing to see how that changes anything

That reminds me, I am sure every mapper would appreciate it if player clip would be completely ignored by any form of lighting. I.e. removing the need to have clip float above or in front of geometry to avoid weird lighting artefacts (touching geometry mostly). This way I would plaster the maps with large clip brushes instead of having to need many small ones, precisely placed. Clip brush count reduction should also be a beneficial thing.

Added point sampler.

What does that do?

Important: To properly be able to judge the lighting for 0.31.2 you needs to recompile, even if you did so for 0.31.0 already (I think).

Notes:

• The lighting of the textures now seems to look mostly OK, i.e. in AEtimeR.
  • The, AFAICT, specular lighting on surfaces still looks strange, it gives the walls a weird "fuzzy sheen". I no longer remember how it used to be, and maybe we were just used to "wrong"... but the present effect looks strange and artificial.
  • The strange grid blurring is gone and the grid is less intrusive now...

Here a AEpyraR compare shot, between 0.29 and a new compile for 0.31.2:

AEpyraR 0.31.2 compare

• The brown texture is darker than before, though the original brown one was glossy and brighter. So I'd say the new 0.31.2 version is actually better.
  • Reflex Decal is suddenly dark.
  • Lighting and shading seems pretty much the same, though the new lighting has more contrast. So also better.
  • Overall the colours are more intense now... in 0.31.0 they where totally off.
  • Shadows under the bridges are pretty much the same, vague... this is probably the lighting model used behind all this? I'd prefer darker more crisp shadows... I think :)... I always liked how the lighting looked in Half-Life 2... but that may just be a personal preference.

So over all I'd say 0.31.2 is pretty much there.

Testing the different configs, I am not seeing much difference between vid_high and vid_medium, other than the quality of the dynamic light rendering. E.g. r_texture_quality 2 looks exactly the same as r_texture_quality 1, even up close. Strange.

31.2 feels much better visually, GJ I couldnt really stand the 31.1 look ;p

• http://thc333.com/reflex/screenshot00044.jpgthis is completely gone and works fine wihtout light from the level above leaking through surfaces
  • I dont feel that I have flashlight attached to my head so much anymore :) the effect is still somewhat present on long flat surfaces on very low angles but its barely noticeable now.
  • toned down grid is much better imo

havent found issues so far.

Whoa, 0.31.2 has introduced very slight flickery/jittery/stuttering problems for me. This issue wasn't present in 0.31.1 or any other version. GPU + Drivers are in signature.

Can't play like this, the smoothness is gone. If there are any tests you'd like me to do, just ask, as I'd like this to get fixed ASAP.

EDIT: Problem is related to my com_maxfps value. I usually play on com_maxfps 240 and it used to run butter smooth (infact most values ran butter smooth before this update), however I suffer from very slight stuttering in this update when now using com_maxfps 240. The problem goes away if I use com_maxfps 480 and the stuttering is extremely obvious on com_maxfps 150.

I'll post this in the already open bug thread.

EDIT 2: 

Looks like I'll be melting my GPU at 480 FPS until this gets fixed.

The contrast of the textures is lowered too much, the gray hues are more centered to middle gray, the darkest and lightest grays are now more or less the same. I get it they're place holders, but the previous set had way better luminescence.

Also the reflection effect/lights now gone again? ;o 

It was nice while maybe slightly exaggerated in 0.31.1, but now that it's gone again it's hard to play on maps that don't have lightmaps. Unless I'm doing it wrong the reflection probe thing doesn't seem to be helping either, not for maps lacking lightmaps anyway. This is a nuisance for anyone who takes an eternity to build lightmaps. 

The contrast of the textures is lowered too much, the gray hues are more centered to middle gray, the darkest and lightest grays are now more or less the same. I get it they're place holders, but the previous set had way better luminescence.

Also the reflection effect/lights now gone again? ;o 

It was nice while maybe slightly exaggerated in 0.31.1, but now that it's gone again it's hard to play on maps that don't have lightmaps. Unless I'm doing it wrong the reflection probe thing doesn't seem to be helping either, not for maps lacking lightmaps anyway. This is a nuisance for anyone who takes an eternity to build lightmaps. 

May I speak to you about out lord and saviour r_lm_texel_size ?

I might just be stating the most obvious thing but just on the off chance.

Increase it to like 64 I'd say and even on more potato tier gfx you should get a reasonably fast lm. Anything higher than that and I feel like the shadows might as well not really be there.

Xan,

no you are not stating the obvious, added your tip to the wiki.

r_lm_texel_size

If you have any more details on the matter, e.g. compile times or experiences with values below the default 16, e.g. trying 8, feel free to mention them. Would then add the info to the wiki as well.

Thanks.

In general: Any tips at all are appreciated for the wiki.

Yeah it saves time, but it doesn't get rid of the nuisance of having to build lightmaps, it still takes time to do (I'm working on a map with over million and half gamestates). Also, I've noticed there being more lightmap bugs with higher texel_size values. 

It helps the visibility if I turn the textures back on (r_high_vis 0), but then I'm sacrificing the preference that comes with the feature. 

The com_fps issue seems fixed on latest client/server for me mostly.  It still increases just slightly using com_maxfps 125 over com_maxfps 60.  So it'll go up 5-7ms now vs 30-40ms before.  Not sure if I'm nuts or you guys actually changed something.

Since I was not such a fan of the clip texture interacting with the lightmap, I wondered about maybe locally changing the

editor_clip.material

file. And I looked into it around 0.28, and now under 0.31.2 the .material file seem to have gone binary? Unless I am mistaken, they used to be plain ASCII text? Was this done to optimize material file loading? Because obviously now they cannot be edited "readily".

This lastest version gives me micro-stutters. I can notice it rly well when I go around cornes while bunnyhopping. The previous version didn't have this for me ...

i5 2500k

gtx 970

250fps

136hz

Any thoughts?

This lastest version gives me micro-stutters. I can notice it rly well when I go around cornes while bunnyhopping. The previous version didn't have this for me ...

i5 2500k

gtx 970

250fps

136hz

Any thoughts?

cl_input_subframe 0 fixed the issue for me.

Also you should use a multiple of your monitor refresh rate for your com_maxfps value, such as 272, to avoid screen tearing.