quake)I(undercover

My feedback, criticisms on being a robot.

Hi, i j ust wanted to leave some feedback on what i disliked personally.

Summary:

This game takes into account that I, the player am aggressive by nature, and that I want to just kill my enemy in the arena ...just because. Just cause they're standing there. And this is why I believe that Reflex is going to fail. It's just not fun.

Here is your weakness.

number1. The machine gun.

Its sound is horrible - it should be somethng like Aug or M4A4 or the sound of Quake.

The ejected shells on the ground. I know it's in an early stage, but why? why so many particles that just drop my frame rate?

The effects,smoke, bullet effects, rocket trails, are just too much. It makes me not want to use that weapon. Or play.

number2. Rocket launcher.

Too many effects here too. I'm on a notebook and I don't see myself playing this game if my fps keep dropping every time there's an explosion near me. It barely just plays as it is. Can we just let the explosions and drama to some other game and let this one become a skill based Fun one? I'd have to spend more than 900euro to buy a decent tower-Pc that I cann run it on without a problem. But why would I want to do that?

number3. Bobbing of weapons. I think that's what it's called anyway. It's confusing. It should be minimum. [The movement of weapons, as you move the mouse. That's what I mean.] Or even static.

Finally, number4. Player skins, robots. Why  on Earth did it have to be a robot? Haven't we already learned from the matrix that robots are evil? Not to say the devil himself? Why not a sweet little mutant mongoose? Who has ninja powers? Mongooses are known for their agility and reflexes. Robots on the other hand, are threatening humanity into making us lazier, taking our jobs, plus they're scary. Need i say more?

I know this is a big project and I hate to ruin the party like this and likely you laugh at the idea of vermin-looking alien players shooting at each other, but, why not? It makes a lot more sense. They're fighting for territory. Or something. It's classic. It never gets old.

I'd love to be a mutant armadillo shooting at a bunch of mongooses, or ninja hedgehogs. Or a sarge, shooting at a horde of Orcs. Or an alien. Or a humanoid turtle terrorist. Instead I'm a robot. By Default. Yay. If you go with a robot, how are we supposed to explain to our friends why we're doing it? It will get old very quick. That, I promise you.

This game takes into account that I, the player am aggressive by nature, and that I want to just kill my enemy in the arena ...just because. Just cause they're standing there. And this is why I believe that Reflex is going to fail.

What. It's an arena FPS game, what else do you want to do in it? Pet each other on the back?

Also if you still can't run the game after the latest performance patch that is kind of your problem.

This game takes into account that I, the player am aggressive by nature, and that I want to just kill my enemy in the arena ...just because. Just cause they're standing there. And this is why I believe that Reflex is going to fail. It's just not fun.

Here is your weakness.

dafaq?

Are games nothing more to you than aesthetics and story? You're talking about this as if it is a film with no user interaction. And then making a thread here to complain about why the movie doesn't have furry animals in it. I don't think you realize that this medium has something else in it called gameplay. Gameplay is the reason that people play games like this one. Because they have a well crafted set of rules and interactions that dictate how we play the game, and why we play it over other games. Things like the weapon models, sounds, effects, and story are purely peripheral elements and the fact that you would either play or not play a game based on them makes me think that you should try and find some games made by like-minded developers.

http://www.teamfortress.com/

Also you can edit all the sound, texture, and effect files to your liking. Make WAV files of an M4A4 and replace the old WAV files for the machine gun with them. Open the machine gun firing effect sprite and change it to whatever you want. You can also change the effects coming from the weapons by editing .effect files with notepad but those numbers are completely undocumented and trying to get them to work the way you want to is just trial and error. Cant change the robot but I cant imagine implementing the same kind of quake 3 player model system is too hard for our devs- just actually modelling all the beavers or whatever takes a lot of time that they would rather spend on making features like matchmaking.

If you use human characters, then you need to do male as well as female characters, because everything else is clearly sexist. But if you do that, then you have the problem on gloryfying m on f violence, which is clearly sexist too. There is no way out - except robots.

So its okay to kill machines but not okay to kill humans? This is discrimination! 

If you use human characters, then you need to do male as well as female characters, because everything else is clearly sexist. But if you do that, then you have the problem on gloryfying m on f violence, which is clearly sexist too. There is no way out - except robots.

This is only what media wants you to believe. If the lack of females in Reflex stirs up some controversy, then in reality that's a blessing. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

I'm just offering it would be a little more interesting to change the characters around a bit. You want to go with machinery? that's cool, give me a choice though. We hate to admit it but everyone's into role-play. it's just the way it is. Why are people playing mine-craft?. we are superficial beings - and if I would respond to the sexism vs discrimination or whatever species one may select to be if that's even a choice (by the way I''m not trolling , i am posting on a forum on a subject that was asked to be given feedback ... so...and sorry i hadn't seen the other thread ...) then I think once you cross the line of the virtual world, these "rules" and stereotypes cease to matter because it's a given you're playing a game. Sure one might feel they are hardcore at it and that's definitely one way to look at it but it's still nevertheless a game an should have the element of Fun to it. For me, fun is bloody dismemberment and graphical gore. that's just me.

Would anyone join Inferno(EU) 194.42.142.169:25787   and kick my ass since I'm losing anyway due to my drops in frame rate? QQ

thats a question for the #reflex IRC channel