newborn

0.32.1 - Explosion proof walls

Game

• Splash damage now only penetrates through 9u of wall.
    • Wallbanging with rockets will sort of work (to be improved later)
    • Prevents "stair armor" bullshit.
  • Added new mega timing (respawns 30 seconds after carrier takes 100 damage, overhealth tickdown counts)
    • Implemented mega carrier & wear off effects
    • Added "MEGA" on HUD when player has mega powerup
  • Added overtime
  • Tweaked ground friction and acceleration and tweaked other movement values to compensate
  • Countdown to play timer no-longer says "0 seconds"
  • Countdown now says FIGHT! / OVERTIME!
  • Added match start / match overtime sounds
  • Fixed bug where particle emitters with relative particles had an incorrect AABB
Server
  • Fixed dedicated server spinlock bug when new client connects to server with banned players
  • Server information now re-published to steam after loss of steam connection
  • Updated server command list to contain "kick" and "remove" commands
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed crash bug when destroying effects (reported from crash reports)
  • Fixed issue where player colours were not working correctly (too dark, first colour was multiplied through everything)
  • Temporarily removed cl_input_subframe as it's causing input issues
  • Fixed bug where carnage respawn sound is heard when game starts (despite carnage not being there)
  • Players (& team) should now lose point if player dies to world (eg lava)
  • Killing a team mate will now correctly reduce team score
  • Carnage is now dropped on team change
  • Carnage is now dropped on disconnect
  • Fixed megahealth not spawning correctly when game starts
  • Further tweaked movement values to bring speeds closer to 0.31 levels
  • Mega carrier effect now scales with effect quality settings
  • Network protocol updated

Guest BananaBreadMan

Please remove the autostart for Arena modes.... make it server managable....or kill the timer that kills, sometimes we just want to run around

Overtime and walldamage fix, woot!

Just to confirm,

respawns 30 seconds after carrier takes 100 damage

should we take this literally? Just checking because I was expecting 'x seconds from when the carrier's health drops to <=100'.

Overtime and walldamage fix, woot!

Just to confirm,

should we take this literally? Just checking because I was expecting 'x seconds from when the carrier's health drops to <=100'.

atm it works as 100DMG, so if you take MH and take rocket straight to the face the countdown starts right away :) its also dmg so it doesnt matter that you lost 25hp but 75armor it still starts to count.

Somebody stated that ground accel was already fixed in some dev build, but was not released on 32.0? This is really something I'd like to see fixed as soon as possible so wondering why it wasnt in? :) At the moment leaving fights and stealing items off spawn is way too easy cuz of crazy ground accel.

It seems that with the new update that mega doesn't spawn in 1v1 when the game starts if it was picked up before both players ready up.

To make it clearer:

>1v1 warmup

>1 player takes mega

>both players ready up

>game starts

>mega not up

It seems that with the new update that mega doesn't spawn in 1v1 when the game starts if it was picked up before both players ready up.

To make it clearer:

>1v1 warmup

>1 player takes mega

>both players ready up

>game starts

>mega not up

This happend all the time, when we was playing duell on aerowalk today.

To make it clearer:

>1v1 warmup

>1 player takes mega

>both players ready up

>game starts

>mega not up

Yup, known bug that's already be fixed, we just haven't pushed out the update yet.

So will UI update come in later revisions of 0.32.x?

Yes, but the new UI system is another huge job so there might be minor updates while we work on it.

So I've noticed that now strafejumping has become a lot easier. I haven't been able to gather from anywhere if this was intended or not?

For my personal reference I went from being able to complete red1 on brpads to completing all the pads with absolute ease. This is definitely more like the speeds you can get in defrag cpm at least (probably even faster). Just wondering if this is something we should get used to or not.

Thanks for the great updates to a great game.

Great! How big is 9u?

Anyone who used the in-game editor can check for him/herself. IIRC a player was 56u (at least in Q3A) high so you can judge from that.

The usual thinner walls in mapping, when adding much detail are often 8u thick, since 8u is normally the default grid size for mapping. Thinner steps are usually 8u high and often 16u deep. So steps and such walls would NOT block explosions.

Hmm... bit strange... I would have expected 7u... to not let folks cause damage through 8u walls, or through steps... alas I have no idea what Q3A did... I always thought that any wall thickness would block weapons, e.g. rockets.

So I've noticed that now strafejumping has become a lot easier. I haven't been able to gather from anywhere if this was intended or not?

For my personal reference I went from being able to complete red1 on brpads to completing all the pads with absolute ease. This is definitely more like the speeds you can get in defrag cpm at least (probably even faster). Just wondering if this is something we should get used to or not.

Thanks for the great updates to a great game.

It's already been tweaked down a bit for 0.32.1, due out in the next 12 hours or so. There was some weirdness with the way the wishspeed would ramp up that is now fixed.

Anyone who used the in-game editor can check for him/herself. IIRC a player was 56u (at least in Q3A) high so you can judge from that.

The usual thinner walls in mapping, when adding much detail are often 8u thick, since 8u is normally the default grid size for mapping. Thinner steps are usually 8u high and often 16u deep. So steps and such walls would NOT block explosions.

Hmm... bit strange... I would have expected 7u... to not let folks cause damage through 8u walls, or through steps... alas I have no idea what Q3A did... I always thought that any wall thickness would block weapons, e.g. rockets.

Splash damage through stairs was exactly the reason for a system like this -- in Q3 (and many other games), you have "stair armor" where a well aimed rocket at someone on stairs might still do 0 damage if it hits in the corner of a step. There could literally be a 1u difference between full damage and zero damage and it's always sucked a bit. Q3 just traces from the point of rocket impact to the players hitbox and if there's a wall in the way, it fails.

We also WANT splash to go through thin walls (and 8u is pretty thin) so that mappers can deliberately add wallbanging to certain areas, for those fringe cases where damage through walls is actually an interesting thing for gameplay.

Tested update out a bit, its a huge improvement! Awesome job on ground accel and rocket wallthrough dmg. Next up fixing lg knockback and rocket bounce to give more horizontal effect

Not sure if I agree with the new mega timing system. One way it would probably make control harder as you can't really regain health every 30 seconds, but on the other hand it would make non-control also harder as you can't really regain control just by the disrepancy of timings between red/mega. As long as the current mega carrier can run after taking 100 damage, control may even be easier. I don't know though, we'll have to see how it plays out.