Zita

Map Editor Guide

A prefab is a names grouping of objects. I did some testing yesterday using the four new prefab-related commands, but was not really able to make much sense of them. What works is to select several brushes or meshes or both (and probably any other items like weapons or health) and call the

me_createprefab <prefabname>

command via console. This will group all the selected objects under that name. Advantage, henceforth selecting that group via one LMB click is possible. Trouble is, AFAICT, you can no longer edit to manipulate the objects in that group individually. E.g. resize one of the brushes. So it seems to be a convenient way to group finishes sets of objects. An example might be the yellow sign on the floor in front of the teleports in BDM3, the "Keep Away" sign. Putting it into a prefab, lets you more easily select all parts of the sign to them clone / move it to another location.

There is also a me_updateprefab <prefabname> that to me would suggest letting you add more objects to an existing prefab, only that never worked for me in an understandable way.

me_breakprefab <prefabname>

Lets you break apart a prefab into its intitial objects, i.e. to let you edit/move/resize etc. them again.

me_deleteprefab <prefabname>

Frees up the <prefabname> name by deleting the prefab from the map.

Usage example: Arrange several meshes in a complicated way, add a dynamic light, possibly also add some brushwork, then group all that into a prefab, to be cloned/used all over your map. Ideally these would be instances... no idea if that is in Reflex yet though.

AFAICT, using prefabs outside of the current map is not yet possible, that would require a command like me_saveprefab or so.

If there is a way to edit the objects in a prefab, I have not found it yet, though that would really be something to have. newborn is on the subject of writing up a description, so we should know about these things soon enough.

Hope that sheds a bit of light on the subject. Note: These are just my quick tests.

Thanks for answering AEon :)

Sorry folks for not updating the post, I have been very busy with voluntary work. Also I have now retired from playing FPS games as getting to old (Coordination and reactions have gone the way of the dodo), this leaves me time to work on Mapping. So Give me a week to get use to the new system and I will update the post.

I will more then likey redo the whole mapping section with videos unless newborn gets in touch saying they are in the process of doing it.

My Config is broken, what to do now?

RMB is "JUMP" in Editor but should be "Freelook" and i cannot change it via options.

I tried to un/re-install Reflex AND Windows 7 today, played a round and just changed "Jump" from SPACEBAR to MOUSE2.

I want my freeview back! :ph34r:

That config stuff seems buggy

EDIT: Everything works fine now - I should read some more before posting stuff like this!

:)

Edited by Currywurst

Hey, to me, it seems like the prefab system only allows to create and re-use prefabs within a map. Is this the case? Or can you use prefabs from one map in another map?

​As of now, you can't

I may very well be an idiot, but I cannot seem to enter the map editor. Pressing normal zero does nothing. Pressing keypad zero does nothing. Even after explicitly remapping the normal zero to toggle the editor, nothing happens. I just continue to shoot the weapons normally. Mapping the editor to another key and using that does not help either.

What am I overlooking?

36 minutes ago, Camacha said:

I may very well be an idiot, but I cannot seem to enter the map editor. Pressing normal zero does nothing. Pressing keypad zero does nothing. Even after explicitly remapping the normal zero to toggle the editor, nothing happens. I just continue to shoot the weapons normally. Mapping the editor to another key and using that does not help either.

What am I overlooking?

i think u dont have sv_allowedit 1 set

without that, the editor function is disabled

24 minutes ago, def said:

i think u dont have sv_allowedit 1 set

without that, the editor function is disabled

Ah, thanks. That was not in the Youtube video of the topic start. Other than that, the editor looks really easy. Not quite the same as GTKRadiant :D

Now I just need to figure out why most of the textures are missing and I am good to go. It would be wonderful to recreate some of my never fully released Q3 maps.

3 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Ah, thanks. That was not in the Youtube video of the topic start. Other than that, the editor looks really easy. Not quite the same as GTKRadiant :D

Now I just need to figure out why most of the textures are missing and I am good to go. It would be wonderful to recreate some of my never fully released Q3 maps.

what textures are u talking about? u can only set materials + colors for brushes and or meshes

there are no textures in this game anymore

Just now, def said:

what textures are u talking about? u can only set materials + colors for brushes and or meshes

I seemed to be missing a couple of items/textures/models, but I found that is just a case of selecting the right category (for instance, effect). No problem there :)

A couple of questions I hope you can help me with :)

1) First of all, what are the reflecting orbs for? They seem to be copiously spread throughout most levels, but I cannot figure out the change it makes.
2)Secondly, is it possible to have moving doors or blocks? Those are rather useful to obscure a player's vision in certain areas. The maps I am rebuilding depend on it in certain areas, so I hope there is some way of building or improvising them.
3) Is it possible to make blocks that look solid like normal ones, but do not clip, just like effects?
4) Finally, are there no ammo packs at all? Are these not in yet, or have they intentionally been left out?

1 hour ago, Camacha said:

A couple of questions I hope you can help me with :)

1) First of all, what are the reflecting orbs for? They seem to be copiously spread throughout most levels, but I cannot figure out the change it makes.
2)Secondly, is it possible to have moving doors or blocks? Those are rather useful to obscure a player's vision in certain areas. The maps I am rebuilding depend on it in certain areas, so I hope there is some way of building or improvising them.
3) Is it possible to make blocks that look solid like normal ones, but do not clip, just like effects?
4) Finally, are there no ammo packs at all? Are these not in yet, or have they intentionally been left out?

1) In short the reflection probes makes sure reflections in the surrounding area are more accurate - best to place them around where light/reflections would change drastically. (if you have a transition inside area and outside for example)
2) Not currently, you'll have to find a workaround for now.
3) No detail brushes either.
4) No ammo either.

Do you guys have any ideas how to replace doors? Adding zigzag hallways changes the flow of the map too much. Adding a door effect without a clipping entity looks broken and does not change the gameplay correctly (since shooting through is still possible). The closest thing I can come up with is using two teleports either side of the wall, but that does not quite do the job either.

Are there any objects I can script or alter to fit my needs?

On 2/8/2016 at 7:34 PM, Camacha said:

Do you guys have any ideas how to replace doors? Adding zigzag hallways changes the flow of the map too much. Adding a door effect without a clipping entity looks broken and does not change the gameplay correctly (since shooting through is still possible). The closest thing I can come up with is using two teleports either side of the wall, but that does not quite do the job either.

Are there any objects I can script or alter to fit my needs?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the devs are still planning to add movers/triggers to the map editor so you'll be able to add doors, moving platforms, etc., at some point. From what I understand, the delay is something to do with the netcode implications of movers/triggers. 

hello everyone,

i got a question about curved stairs... i heared the best way is to use Trim ... but how is it used....  ??

ive seen it being done on this video but its not explained at all! plz help...

This guide is really useful, but very outdated!

Is there a updated version planned? - the editor seems to be in a rather "final" state since offiical release, although the content browser is still not working for anything else than materials.

1 hour ago, Finalspace said:

This guide is really useful, but very outdated!

Is there a updated version planned? - the editor seems to be in a rather "final" state since offiical release, although the content browser is still not working for anything else than materials.

There may be some more added to the map editor. If more modes are added, triggers/movers, etc., those would necessarily require expanding the map editor. 

I think the guide has been largely community driven. If someone has the time, surely they could try to put something more updated together. The Reflex wiki page might be the best place for that sort of detailed guide so it can be updated by the community as things change.