MrOllie

Regarding Light Maps

Question

I have been getting some strange glitches and other issues with lightmaps. I am ready to release a map, but the lightmap doesnt seem to save for me. I build the lightmap, it saves to the map folder, but when I load up the map at another time, the lightmap isnt loaded. Am I supposed to save the map before I build the lightmap, or after? Also, when entering the "r_lm_build" command, should I enter it as "r_lm_build mapname"? Ive tried both without success. I have gotten a few lightmaps to save permanently, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong the times it doesnt save.

A very strange glitch which I have not come across on forums is when I build a lightmap, then the textures on the walls glitch out and seem to be covered in a strange texture that looks just like the r_lm_debug_show screen, but just blurry. This issue is usually resolved by re-starting the game.

Any Ideas? The visual glitch might be related AMD drivers, I have a HD7850.

6 answers to this question

Ahh this makes so much sense now.  The atlas image is actually being used as a texture.  I think that's the same kind of thing that I've been experiencing since .27.  Sometimes they'll blink and glitch out yeah.  I haven't seen such a clear example of this until now.  Really neat image.  Have you tried doing nolight and other optimization techniques?  It can help cut down on the atlas size and perhaps help to temporarily alleviate this issue.  Obviously something that still needs to be looked into. 

I'm not sure what the issue is. When I go into editing mode, the lightmap is absolutely perfect, no light leaks, nothing looks off. When I go into gameplay mode, the textures are just wacked out. Heres another image comparing the two modes and a teaser of a freestyle defrag map I wish I could release :P

z3mdzJc.jpg

So I finally got the Lightmaps to not glitch out. I'm not sure what fixed it, but restarting my PC and verifying the steam cache files (fixed 4 files and removed my config) seemed to fix it. Thanks for the explanation Devil and Smilecythe!

It's the cvar r_shader_quality 2 that causes the lightmap atlas to show up as a texture.  This is the same thing that happened back in .27.   I didn't update my config since .29 and when I added the new variables into my custom config (copy/paste from high res config) sure enough this issue showed up.  I was using r_shadow_resolution which has been deprecated in favor of r_shader_quality.  That's probably why it showed up for you in editor.cfg and not in game.cfg (or vice versa) as the cache file rewrote itself to include the new cvar. ;)

Also it appears as though this has completely killed off realistic lightmaps.  There isn't a dark corner in my map anymore.  It's all fullbright even with a built lightmap.

I have yet to delete my config and allow steam to update and replace it with .32 configs.  Will try that and report back.