Gangland

What are the POSITIVE possibilities that can come from this update?

Since there has been a whirlwind of speculation and "opinion" about the announcement of UI scripting, with most feedback bordering on negative, let's hear something positive that can be achieved through the use of these tools.

At this point it's mostly speculation to say "i can do this", but given the information we have about the scripting language, and the little information we have about its implementation in regards to Reflex (future plans), what do you think could be built that would be a positive addition to your/the game?

For me, I'd just like to add pics of my cats to the hud.

I can't wait to see some of the spectator/streaming UI's that will be possible with this. stat wise on what's happening in the game it should be glorious.

Also change size / color of cross hairs! build your own in lua script with the vector drawing. not to mention being able to edit while the game is running, save file and instantly see the result.

if you want something on your hud. you can put it there.

For me, I'd just like to add pics of my cats to the hud.

haha. I now know what i must do.

I'll be adding a mortgage calculator to my HUD so that I can claim my time playing Reflex as a business expense, and in case my opponent would like to refi in the middle of a match. Also CGazhud.

So it looks like from your credit, loan to value, and debt to income ratios that I can qualify you for an 80/20, however you'll need to buydown the rate, which is 3 points, in addition to my 3 point origination fee.

PS

(lol there is no buydown, those 3 points are actually going in my pocket and I'm getting a 1 pt rebate for selling you a higher rate)

PPS

(oh and that will be neg-am)

sssssshhhhhhh

So it looks like from your credit, loan to value, and debt to income ratios that I can qualify you for an 80/20, however you'll need to buydown the rate, which is 3 points, in addition to my 3 point origination fee.

PS

(lol there is no buydown, those 3 points are actually going in my pocket and I'm getting a 1 pt rebate for selling you a higher rate)

PPS

(oh and that will be neg-am)

sssssshhhhhhh

This cracked me the fuck up. Like, solid belly laugh. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

This cracked me the fuck up. Like, solid belly laugh. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I did a little time in the biz. Had a sweet office in Newport Beach right on the water. Shit got gangster and had to high-tail it outta there.

Memories.  :)

So many things can be done.

• Bird's-eye-view of map, showing the routes you took, where you died, and by what weapon.
  • Also, where the enemy was when he killed you, what weapon you were holding.
  • Average damage dealt per match/spawn/overall career. Accuracy.
  • HUD TIMERS!
  • How often you had RA/YA/Mega
  • # of spawn kills!
  • Average time RA/YA/Mega were up before they were taken.
  • A rear-view-mirror! (I hope not)
  • Amount of damage dealt through brushes
  • Who, what, where, (you can determine why), each weapon was used on the map.
  • How many times you spawned in location x,y,z.
  • Set reminders to go and eat food. Or for when you should probably be asleep, but you're not, so don't be too loud reminders.
  • Have that one guy say, "WICKED SICK!" when you 360 Bolt someone across the map.

• Custom demo hud with clickable buttons for every demo feature that'll be available (fast forward, playbackspeed, pausing, variable camera views, search for killsprees/air rockets/whatever) and this possibly way faster in case the devs focus on other features first while giving us the community the appropriate api calls for it
  • Integrated irc client so you can have #reflex up at all time (or why not your twitch.tv/channel if you're into that streaming thing that's all the rage I hear?)
  • Integrated music player interface with animated groot that dances to the beat!
  • Live statistics for damage done/received with dynamic colors for how well you're doing
  • Auto ragequit function for when you have lower than 30% lg or 55% rail
  • Demolist browser (perhaps faster from community than devs)
  • Callvote browser (perhaps faster from community than devs)
  • New features for server browser like more advanced filtering if the original ones are still lacking
  • Advanced community features like an interface to an automated tourney system for quick on the fly cups
  • Tetris/Minesweeper/Pong/Whatever... Can even have a direct interface to Candy Crush if that's your timekiller of choice while waiting in duel queue
  • If you're feeling cheeky I'm fairly sure you could even load up an emulator and play super mario bros 1 in a clearly defiant gesture towards Nintendo

But yeah... Pretty much only imagination setting down limits... Most important feature I'd say is that we could get interface/game features way faster since community can do them faster than devs can as long as we have the hooks for it if it's needed (These can easily be added to the main game later if devs like them and that includes hooks for ideas as long as they are explained and interesting enough)

So many things can be done.

• Bird's-eye-view of map, showing the routes you took, where you died, and by what weapon. Not immediately possible, but we could expose some of that data to specs.
  • Also, where the enemy was when he killed you, what weapon you were holding. What weapon you were holding is easy.
  • Average damage dealt per match/spawn/overall career. Accuracy. Yup
  • HUD TIMERS! Yup
  • How often you had RA/YA/Mega Yup
  • # of spawn kills! "Times you were killed" = yes, "Times you spawn killed an enemy" = spectator only.
  • Average time RA/YA/Mega were up before they were taken. Yup
  • A rear-view-mirror! (I hope not) Not for players. It could be interesting to give spectators the ability to set cameras, for quad cameras etc.
  • Amount of damage dealt through brushes Probably not
  • Who, what, where, (you can determine why), each weapon was used on the map. Again, we're not going to be exposing that much initially. A bunch of that stuff is part of the "one day" plan for gameplay metrics, allowing mappers to do heatmaps and see all that kind of info, fix dead spots in their maps etc.
  • How many times you spawned in location x,y,z. See above.
  • Set reminders to go and eat food. Or for when you should probably be asleep, but you're not, so don't be too loud reminders. Yup
  • Have that one guy say, "WICKED SICK!" when you 360 Bolt someone across the map. Nup, I doubt we'll ever expose viewangles.

The possibilities are endless. Yeah, if you really wanted to it would take about 5 minutes.

• Custom demo hud with clickable buttons for every demo feature that'll be available (fast forward, playbackspeed, pausing, variable camera views, search for killsprees/air rockets/whatever) and this possibly way faster in case the devs focus on other features first while giving us the community the appropriate api calls for it Too late
  • Integrated irc client so you can have #reflex up at all time (or why not your twitch.tv/channel if you're into that streaming thing that's all the rage I hear?) Maybe.
  • Integrated music player interface with animated groot that dances to the beat! Probably not
  • Live statistics for damage done/received with dynamic colors for how well you're doing Yup
  • Auto ragequit function for when you have lower than 30% lg or 55% rail Yup, if you're a douchebag.
  • Demolist browser (perhaps faster from community than devs) Yup
  • Callvote browser (perhaps faster from community than devs) Yup
  • New features for server browser like more advanced filtering if the original ones are still lacking Yup
  • Advanced community features like an interface to an automated tourney system for quick on the fly cups Yup
  • Tetris/Minesweeper/Pong/Whatever... Can even have a direct interface to Candy Crush if that's your timekiller of choice while waiting in duel queue Probably
  • If you're feeling cheeky I'm fairly sure you could even load up an emulator and play super mario bros 1 in a clearly defiant gesture towards Nintendo Probably depends on what lua libraries we allow

But yeah... Pretty much only imagination setting down limits... Most important feature I'd say is that we could get interface/game features way faster since community can do them faster than devs can as long as we have the hooks for it if it's needed (These can easily be added to the main game later if devs like them and that includes hooks for ideas as long as they are explained and interesting enough)

I'd like to see a HUD customizer that allows you to place, add/remove elements, save them, and upload to steam workshop.

The possibilities with LUA are only limited to what data will be available for display.  Most of the stuff I'm reading about is related to the HUD but what else can be done with LUA?  I've seen unique mini-games created with LUA in Garrys Mod.  Perhaps something like that will be possible.  The drug dealer game for example was always kind of popular but I'd hate to think of Reflex degenerating into G-Mod.  The thought alone is cringe worthy.

All the advances to the limitless hud is fantastic, yes.  But it's the consequence of that which truly changes the game.

I've thought for a long time now that no game clock is optimal.  But given the nature of competition, and given my (perhaps) naive outlook on people being honest, I think that these auto-timed armors with this now unique megahealth is likely to bode really good for gameplay.  Many more players across the board will be apt to play more deliberately adding emphasis to fighting the player and not playing dual 'n back - a working memory game.  The meta will be changed and I'm glad someone finally had the balls to attempt this change.  I think in time it will show to be THE definitive change of this UI patch.

And if not, then I'll be surprised!

Will people be able to create custom map editing huds that let you choose colors from a palette, or choose pickups/effects/etc..? That could hold us over until the map editor is worked on some more :P

Just curious to know how interactive these huds can get, or if they can even interact with the game, rather than just display information.

Anything on earth that's easier and more intuitive to use, and doesn't require downloading a separate client for best functionality, and is not reliant on third party server infrastructure to be discovered (ie: you need to be on a certain network for people to find you easily).

The article you link boils down to "military units are chatting to each other" and could just as easily be about AOL Messenger as IRC. It's irrelevant to the discussion and does not imply any intrinsic value to hooking Reflex to IRC. Sure, IRC is simple and gets the job done, but so would carrier pigeons.

The thrust of my point is that new (read: younger) players will have no idea what IRC is and won't care to learn, and won't want to deal with the outdated, clunky technology. Hell, I'm 32 and don't ever want to deal with it again.