Smilecythe

Sphinctified (Smiledm1) - FFA/2v2/4v4/Arena **UPDATE**

Yeah, the movement mechanics in Reflex are still a bit in flux. There are a couple of the race maps where I've noted inconsistent double jump mechanics, with a double jump sometimes throwing me higher and farther than it should. I've notice it in bldf2 on the double jump platform section at least, and it's in a spot where the only valid mechanic is a single jump or double jump.

Yeah it's a double jump allright. Triple jump is possible from that set of stairs too and when that happens your guy reaches the ceiling easily. With a well placed jump you might also fly all the way to the yellow armor without touching the RL floor. You can also do a triple jump to RL or even RA from the stair set on the lower level, wink wink ;)

Y6dv6wO.jpg

Updated the map to v1.1, changelog:

-Added one 25hp near the vicinity of the teleporter drop in MH room.
-Added three 5hps to "Bolt attic" as a potential pickup sound trap.
-Made IC platform wider and added some visual details.
-Fixed collision issues with the flat-broken pillar in front of YA entrance. 
-Fixed a few minor graphical flops. 

Thanks to Mazu for building the lightmap so fast :)

It's hard for me to judge accurately given I have not played 4v4 on this map, nor competitively, but it appears the map is intelligently compartmentalized which gives rise to zones of control.

By far the best TDM map that has been created thus far.

Had the pleasure of playing an FFA match on this map the other night. I'll have to echo what others have said about the amazing work on this one. The level of detail and craftsmanship stands out. You really had fun with vertex editing. =)

I would need to spend a lot more time playing this one to get a handle on the layout. That by itself speaks to the map's size and complexity. There are so many different potential routes and scenarios possible here. Even the seemingly decorative architecture like the tall pillars make for more interesting gameplay.

Only quibble I'd have with it is I can't decide if its look is a bit *too* detailed and realistic for the spirit of Reflex or if you have enough abstract elements (I love the white, non-detailed boxes stacked on top of each other so unapologetically obvious in their use for trick jumping) to balance that out. Aesthetically speaking you've created an interesting challenge for yourself: how to make a map loaded with realistic details like imploded terrain and broken columns that still has that minimalist, "meta" Reflex feel.

that minimalist, "meta" Reflex feel.

I thought that was only because of the early stage of development where no art is done. All the maps are shells only and I don't want reflex to look like that forever.

And the map is great smile, I had the pleasure to get wiped on the floor multiple times already.

Added some of Mazu's videos to main post. If you spot yourself in one of the vids, clap your hands and say woo woo!

Aesthetically speaking you've created an interesting challenge for yourself: how to make a map loaded with realistic details like imploded terrain and broken columns that still has that minimalist, "meta" Reflex feel.

I'm glad you noticed that particular effort, I think that style that grew on me.  ;)

And the map is great smile, I had the pleasure to get wiped on the floor multiple times already.

Pleasure was mutual  :wub:

Made a trickjump demonstration video that I promised few weeks back. Some tricks are easy but convenient, some a bit harder and some pointlessly hard.. I'm also demonstrating various plasma/chain, rocket and stake jumps. Some tricks are deliberately designed and some discovered by accident, which is which will remain a mystery :P

Sorry for the toaster quality. 

You can also get there with a stake jump or air strafing from the tele exit, those are the easiest way in. I hope they implement ammo boxes soon and limit the amount of ammo you get from picking up the weapon again like it was in Q3, so I could make camping out in the rocket room less advantageous and forcing people to move to certain areas for rocket ammo. 

Workshop update: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=764552988

Notable changes from the last version:

• YA room redesigned
  • Map has only one YA now
  • New route to the new YA area in front of the bolt spawn
  • Window in front of the rocket launcher
  • Hard to reach plasma gun, use either stake or RJ to get there if you can't manage the CJ. 
  • Ammo boxes added, I will later replace burstgun ammo with stake ammo as soon as those are available
  • Resist added for luls