Sign in to follow this  
Devil

Relfection Probes?

My best guess is that it's the same as a cube-map in the hammer editor.

If I'm correct it's a texture which represents a three-dimensional rendering of an area (Like the cube-map in hammer). Basically the reflection probe creates the textures that a reflective surface will be reflecting. In hammer the cubemap is linked with the env_cubemap entity, usually textures associate with the closets env_cubemap.

We currently only support a single reflection probe. Eventually this system will be expanded to allow multiple per area so we can have more robust reflections. For now with only 1 being used per level, you can either not place one at all (and it will fallback to our default), or place one in an area of your choice. Bare in mind that if you place it in a lava room, you will get red reflections from below regardless of where you are in your level, so choose your positions wisely. I find it best to pick a fairly generic looking location and just going with that for now that gets the general ambient mood of the environment without any features that are too dominating.

Exact name of the entity and how to add it to the map would help. And any "parameters" that need setting or not.

I recall having asked about this a while back. I am still not quite in the clear what actually uses the reflection probe... the obvious things would be the player models and weapons... though I do not seem to remember ever seeing those with reflections on them. Maybe someone has a screenshot that would illustrate reflection probes on "something"?

Holy crap that looks a LOT better with the probe... will need to update my 3 maps it seeems... and start adding meshes maybe :)

If I should get off my butt trevize1138, may I used your images on the wiki? We would need a probe guide page... but those images certainly show why to use them is the right thing to do.

Use away! They really do illustrate the usefulness of reflection probes nicely. I was suggested I use one in that map by someone on Reddit so I played around with them and didn't think I saw any difference at first so I compared screenshots to be sure. Wowza! I didn't notice the "incorrect" reflections before but put them side-by-side and you really see it.

Also, I'd be happy to give your maps a critical look and provide feedback to return the favor you did of that for The Shark Tank. =) That map's so very nicely polished now.