Sign in to follow this  
trevize1138

sventourney3 - The Death Ray

Download:

http://reflexfiles.com/file/229

Started from scratch and rebuilt this one completely just like first rendition of this just wasn't working. I tried fixing it and adding things but that just got all junked up so the only thing for it was a clean slate.

This map now features the ability to do a double jump/ramp boost along nearly every wall. There are lots of maps out there that afford trick jump opportunities and plenty with very difficult/high skill trick jumps so I went a different direction here by making the simple double jump+ramp jump combo a staple of gameplay throughout. In many spots you can jump the gap from a platform to a recessed wall with a small ramp built into it and jump right back to the ramp. Performing this is very similar to UT2K3 where you could jump once and jump again off a wall.

For those who haven't mastered these basic "trick" movements all items on the map are accessible on a basic level via jumppads. However you're at a major disadvantage if you rely on those.

S1553c6eaebb1627274e.jpg

S1553c6ed2f250d2f11d.jpg

S1553c6ee5c13f56a741.jpg

Really cool map! I like some of the shooting angles possible on this map, seems like it would be fun to play. There are also really cool lighting effects in some of the areas which help to distinguish which area you're in. Movement on this map is also pretty fun. 

I know this is an early version, but I would definitely put in more time into the aesthetics. You already have alot of cool design elements but it would look nicer if you work on the color scheme a bit more, as it doesnt seem too cohesive as a whole. I would try to incorporate some sort of sci-fi themed lighting on the ceilings or the floor that can flow throughout the rooms, or something along those lines. Also, look into the no_light material to use outside the map in order to speed up the lightmap building. Keep it up :) 

Thanks for the feedback!

I certainly want to flesh out the aesthetics more. Too many large expanses of walls or floors without detail. I'll try out your suggestion for carrying a unifying theme throughout the map. I think I get stuck with looks sometimes because I'm afraid of making a map that's 5 different rooms that all look alike but it's OK to carry over some of the same elements from one space to the next. Plus, then I don't get writer's block thinking I need each room to have 100% unique looks.