newborn

0.33.4 - Fancy UI stuff

It would be nice if we had a console command to overlay the widget names over all widgets. sometimes when i want to move a widget around i have no idea what the widget's name is.

Was literally about to suggest this. It could be a feature combined with the ui_show_axis command.

I know the speed variable that we can access now was quickly thrown in there, but right now it is the sum of horizontal and vertical speed.

I think it would be useful to have both horizontal and vertical speed available. The ups meter that was in the game before the ui update also showed only the horizontal speed component. For example, right now when jumping on a level plane it is really hard to gauge your speed because the vertical speed is also always taken into account. 

It would be nice if we had a console command to overlay the widget names over all widgets. sometimes when i want to move a widget around i have no idea what the widget's name is.

Planned.

Was literally about to suggest this. It could be a feature combined with the ui_show_axis command.

Planned like this.

Would it be possible to bake SSAO into the lightmap? 

It looks cool, but its useless as it eats the FPS.

Apparently not, because I asked the same thing. You'll have to get the reason why from Electro/Shooter though.

anti-aliasing won't stay enabled for me? It's set in the options (FXAA) but edges don't look smooth at all. I haven't tried forcing it in the game.cfg yet though. 

Or AA is pretty basic right now. We're aware it needs some love, but there's bigger things to address first.

I know the speed variable that we can access now was quickly thrown in there, but right now it is the sum of horizontal and vertical speed.

I think it would be useful to have both horizontal and vertical speed available. The ups meter that was in the game before the ui update also showed only the horizontal speed component. For example, right now when jumping on a level plane it is really hard to gauge your speed because the vertical speed is also always taken into account. 

Also planned. In upcoming versions you'll get a table with separate X/Y values.

Some stuff i'd personally like to be on the to-do list:

- put all custom widgets into a special folder

- a way to get all files within a folder, so you/we/jesus can create a widget-options-menu, to disable/enable widgets without using console -> user-friendlyness

Regards

Some stuff i'd personally like to be on the to-do list:

- put all custom widgets into a special folder

- a way to get all files within a folder, so you/we/jesus can create a widget-options-menu, to disable/enable widgets without using console -> user-friendlyness

Regards

You can already put custom widgets in any folder (under /base/ or maybe even a level above that). I see little point in forcing them to be in a specific folder.

I think the second point might as well be in the official options menu. You can already get all files within a folder in lua if you really want to ( see for example http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5303174/get-list-of-directory-in-a-lua ).

Having an official options menu to set the options for all your widgets makes the most sense to me, but since you can do it via the config anyway it probably isn't a big priority. If you wanted to you could probably make an options menu yourself using that stackoverflow link.

wohoo lots of great new stuff in 0.33.4, but the behavior of the require changed

if you used the module system to expose functions / tables and get them via require - i've bad news, require returns nil. you have to work around via global namespace

see this gist how to work around the problem and why i prefer not to put my stuff in the global namespace

hth

newborn,

awesome Options, Widgets menu for widget layout control... really really neat!

Could you please shed some light on:

Added special "ui_define" command. This is used to persist lua objects to game.cfg. (not a console command?)

Added ui_list_widgets and ui_set_widget_zindex <name> <scale> commands.

for the wiki? I.e. how to use the define and for what, and the parameters of zindex.

Update: example usage of ui_define in the game.cfg, totally new format for widget control.

ui_define ContentHackMenu =  -- F9 menu version
{
    offset = { x = 0.000000, y = 0.000000 };
    anchor = { x = 0, y = 0 };
    zIndex = 0.000000;
    scale = 1.000000;
}

Though ui_define is not a console command per se it seem.

Requests:

• ui_list_widgets would be nice if the list was sorted and dumped into 2 or 3 columns to reduce the vertical spam on the console.

Could we have a menu that remembers which page you were last on that puts you back there when you open it the next time? If you set something up, like change mouse sens and have to test it in game, it's annoying to browse back to that value tab every time. For inspiration, check how the menu works in Xonotic, it's genius and imo the best menu any game I've ever played had.

With the new widget configs in the game.cfg... it will be interesting to see how one could also set user variables... e.g. for the default WeaponRack widget define orientation (horizontal/vertical), or the option to turn off showing the axe.

I.e. these

-- Options
    local verticalRack = true;
    local weaponWidth = 100;
    local weaponHeight = 30;
    local weaponSpacing = 5; -- 0 or -1 to remove spacing

Just noted this in the game.cfg file:

ui_define Crosshairs =
{
    visible = false;
    userData =
    {
        crosshairStrokeWeight = 3;
        crosshairWeight = 3;
        colorFillByHealth = false;
        colorStrokeByHealth = false;
        crosshairSize = 16;
    };
}

So external variable control of "exposed" variables is already in there. Nice... checking the LUA code to see how we can use that feature as well.

whats lobbies?

if you ever played tf2center or the new UT, it's just a room with slots you join in. so you can see a list of open 'lobbies', you can see both team and what slots are open. you join in and when all slots are filled, the game starts. this would work well for something like tdm and ctf, even ffa. duel obviously too. you can chat in these lobbies and view profiles and such. 

it at least gets 'organized' play started, automatic matchmaking is tough and you need lots of players. this is at least a small way to get a game going where you can't join and leave as you please, it keeps players there for an incentive/reason. 

I think a way to keep players is keeping them in a game, like a game of LoL or dota. you can't join them and leave freely. I think lobbies and matchmaking should be the same way, a way to play a more serious game. 

tf2center.com has lobbies, you can register and see how it works on that website. 

I am a bit surprised no one really pounced on the new meshes... though it is clear that if there was a copy/paste e.g. between two instances of Reflex, to move a completely built window e.g. to one's own map it would simplify many things. But it is nice to see new assets.

if you ever played tf2center or the new UT, it's just a room with slots you join in. so you can see a list of open 'lobbies', you can see both team and what slots are open. you join in and when all slots are filled, the game starts. this would work well for something like tdm and ctf, even ffa. duel obviously too. you can chat in these lobbies and view profiles and such. 

it at least gets 'organized' play started, automatic matchmaking is tough and you need lots of players. this is at least a small way to get a game going where you can't join and leave as you please, it keeps players there for an incentive/reason. 

I think a way to keep players is keeping them in a game, like a game of LoL or dota. you can't join them and leave freely. I think lobbies and matchmaking should be the same way, a way to play a more serious game. 

tf2center.com has lobbies, you can register and see how it works on that website. 

You don't need to implement lobbies, if you implement matchmaking anyways. It's just a waste of resources. You are right, for MM to work best -> a lot of players needed. But you can have everything set in place and simply adjust the searching variables....so in the end it's nothing else but automated lobbies, that people can't leave. One thing that has to be done right directly is....punishing leavers. Nosgoth did a TERRIBLE job with it's MM system.

It worked like this: you got put into a lobby automatically ....and the game only started, when the lobby was filled. The result: people constantly leaving lobbies. It was so fucking annoying. Worst thing ever.

Reflex doesn't need to reinvent the wheel .... look at Dota2, LoL and CS:GO. Work all the same way, which is: press "search" (or "play" or whatever).... game starts if you get matched with 9 others. Done. No pre-game lobbies, nothing. Works best.

Regards

Ever since 0.32 the lightmaps have been unrealistic.  Been waiting patiently to see them come back.  Perhaps I'm doing something wrong in my settings.  Lightmaps used to have realistic lighting where dark areas were pratically completely black if a light wasn't in the area.  Here's a room that should basically be completely pitch black except for light coming from the the teleporter and 1 small overhead light.  You shouldn't even be able to see the gun in front of your face.  Yet the entire room is worldlit and looks like garbage in terms of realistic lighting.  Just wondering if/when we'll see a return of realistic lighting with baked lightmaps.

Also for training maps the powerup icons are undesirable.  Kudos on the UI system.  Lettering is really crisp.  Can't wait to start messing with some UI designs.  Great job.

2015-04-19_00001_zpsfdfbdf87.jpg