Spannzer

HUD Feedback Thread!

Post screenshots of your in-development HUDs and get feedback!

If you are posting a complete HUD please provide a download link :>

I'll get us started with a little something I made:

VetLezh.jpg

I wanted a HUD that I can clearly see in my peripheral vision, something without small numbers that I would have to actively look at to see what the values were.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ilqmewgxwzbpbiq/SP-HUD%20RFX.zip?dl=0

I have to admit all HUDs shown here have their perks :).... I would probably go for a traditional Q3A one, so DraQu's is close. And the great thing... these can all be merged and altered to one's own suiting. Nifty... a HUD widget library coming up for Reflex.

Speaking of HUDs, does anybody know what the 3 bars under the ammo count are? So far it doesn't seem like it's related to ammo, but hp/armor.

Each bar represents your ability to tank one direct rocket (100 dmg). No bars means you can't survive a single hit, the max (3 bars) would require 200 life + 200 armor.

I made the default HUD, so I've got nothing to show :(

I did some scaling of the default HUD, e.g. I think I like

ui_set_widget_scale AmmoCount 2.4000

scaled up to better see the weapon in hand, since I never play with the weapon model shown on-screen.

It really is amazing how nicely the HUD scales. A future option that lets folks drag around HUD elements in some "HUD edit" mode in real time might be nifty, also allowing for for scaling. Though I admit, that would be for the lazy and playful and probably no real priority.

And I bet no two players will ever agree on what HUD they prefer, so... much like key bindings, why waste time on discussions, you simply configure it the way you like... really neat.

Each bar represents your ability to tank one direct rocket (100 dmg). No bars means you can't survive a single hit, the max (3 bars) would require 200 life + 200 armor.

3 bars are reached when you can take 301 damage - which you have with 200 ya/ra + 101 health or 150ga + 151 health

I did some scaling of the default HUD, e.g. I think I like

ui_set_widget_scale AmmoCount 2.4000
scaled up to better see the weapon in hand, since I never play with the weapon model shown on-screen.

It really is amazing how nicely the HUD scales. A future option that lets folks drag around HUD elements in some "HUD edit" mode in real time might be nifty, also allowing for for scaling. Though I admit, that would be for the lazy and playful and probably no real priority.

And I bet no two players will ever agree on what HUD they prefer, so... much like key bindings, why waste time on discussions, you simply configure it the way you like... really neat.

We'll still need to extend things a bit, but there's a pretty good chance that someone could make that HUD editor without us doing a single thing.

-snip

Still very much work in progress, the colours on the top bar need to be fixed and possibly reshuffled in some way but i'm working towards a spectator UI for casting.

I still think the typeface that you're using doesn't provide good readability. It took me a good 2 seconds to realise that the YA timer on the left was a '6' and not a 'b', and I still have to actually think about what most of the characters represent since they have very little resemblance to the letter shapes of the standard English alphabet which we are all very used to (unless you stare at old-school digital clocks every day). 

As for the top widget for the player names, I'd recommend shrinking the width of the bar down as there's simply no need to cover the entire span of the screen. I'm not sure if I'm being dumb or if it's just unclear what the number 'zero' in the centre represents, could you explain that?. Also, I think that shrinking down the size of the player names would be a good idea as you can see that the descender of the 'y' is not fitting in the box.

For the group of elements on the bottom I think it would be better if each element had more space between one another. Padding sizes should be equal for horizontal and vertical distances. Also I'm not sure what the reasoning behind moving the main clock to the bottom with the ammo/armour/health stuff was, as it isn't really related in any way. In my opinion the timer works best in the top centre, it seems to be a universally accepted position in most games.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the final product for the garbage cup stream on Saturday! Maybe you could add your ArenaFPS logo somewhere on the HUD  ;)

I still think the typeface that you're using doesn't provide good readability. It took me a good 2 seconds to realise that the YA timer on the left was a '6' and not a 'b', and I still have to actually think about what most of the characters represent since they have very little resemblance to the letter shapes of the standard English alphabet which we are all very used to (unless you stare at old-school digital clocks every day). 

As for the top widget for the player names, I'd recommend shrinking the width of the bar down as there's simply no need to cover the entire span of the screen. I'm not sure if I'm being dumb or if it's just unclear what the number 'zero' in the centre represents, could you explain that?. Also, I think that shrinking down the size of the player names would be a good idea as you can see that the descender of the 'y' is not fitting in the box.

For the group of elements on the bottom I think it would be better if each element had more space between one another. Padding sizes should be equal for horizontal and vertical distances. Also I'm not sure what the reasoning behind moving the main clock to the bottom with the ammo/armour/health stuff was, as it isn't really related in any way. In my opinion the timer works best in the top centre, it seems to be a universally accepted position in most games.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the final product for the garbage cup stream on Saturday! Maybe you could add your ArenaFPS logo somewhere on the HUD  ;)

The top bar is purely just for spectating so I wanted the information to be easy to read hence the size of it. I might remove the background colours though so you can see the screen a bit easier. The 0 in the middle is the score difference, it's a modded version of the miniscore widget that was posted.

I moved the clock down purely to make space for the top bar when casting, although it's actually nice having all the UI information in one area so when checking the clock the ammo/health/armour is in eyeshot. 

I might pad everything a little I'm trying to make information as easy to view as possible whilst taking up as little space as possible and being close together so at a glance you have multiple values readable.

The 0 in the middle is the score difference, it's a modded version of the miniscore widget that was posted.

That's pretty cool, maybe you could put a very small heading/subheading that just says 'Difference' just so people know what it is?

I might pad everything a little I'm trying to make information as easy to view as possible whilst taking up as little space as possible and being close together so at a glance you have multiple values readable.

Good idea however I would favour being able to easily distinguish what I'm looking for by the position that the element is in, rather than having everything so close together that it becomes a task to find the element/value that you're looking for.