Sign in to follow this  
Cupz

Wine compatibility/some crappy ideas

Hello everybody.

I found out about Reflex just yesterday and I'm quite pumped about it. I've been complaining about the lack of a new competative arena FPS for the last few years, and fantasizing about making my own because no one is doing it right. Now this looks like its doing it right.

I almost clicked the buy button, but there is a good chance it won't work on my system. I'm pretty much linux-only for little over 2 years now and I'd really hate going back to dual-booting winblow$. Sadly, there is no linux client yet. There is a 50/50 chance this would run through WINE, which would be perfect, but I'm not spending 10 bucks just to try it out and maybe fail. Thats about the same as throwing a good weeks worth of food in the garbage. Can anyone tell me if it runs on wine so I can throw some money at you guys and have something good to practice for a change?

Some stupid ideas to make it more like real sport:

I saw the trailer, and the upcoming art for the themes, but to be honest I would much rather have this game keep looking minimalistic. Timeless is the word I'm looking for, so it looks great even in 20 years. Either make it look like its really from '96 or make it look like its not from a time at all.

A "commentator" mode like spectator , for people not playing but recording/streaming and commentating the match. I'm thinking slow-motion replay triggers and more cinematic or direct camera control. This could make just watching matches a whole lot more fun, even for non-players and allows for more impressive live coverage on the internet.

A way to bet/lost/win real money on teams. This one might be impossible, because of strict laws on gambling but if you can pull it of you will change the face of competative playing.

shamelessSelfPromotion = function() {
Also if you need a sound/music designer, please mail me: www.flamingopudding.tk
http://flamingopudding.bandcamp.com/track/i-fuckyuo
}
shamelessSelfPromotion();

You should buy the game and test if it runs with Wine. If it doesn't run, that's unfortunate. If the Reflex devs see how much Linux users are supporting the project even without being able to run it properly, that might convince them to put the Linux project up in the priority list ;)

I have some clan mates using linux as well and I'd like them to get playing Reflex asap too.

I saw the trailer, and the upcoming art for the themes, but to be honest I would much rather have this game keep looking minimalistic. Timeless is the word I'm looking for, so it looks great even in 20 years. Either make it look like its really from '96 or make it look like its not from a time at all.

I don't agree with minimalism. From artist's point of view it's unsatisfying, you have to remember they are making this game for themselves as well. And from a viewer's point of view, it's become quite generic in indie games, it's in fact so generic it's like a signature for a low budget indie game. I don't think minimalism is "timeless" by your definition, it doesn't look any more stunning now or after 20 years, rather it looks like half of the games ever made with Unity. Which they should not aim for especially when they went through the trouble of making their own engine.

Besides, Reflex can end up looking anything you want over the years, when there's more options for community made custom maps/textures and meshes. 

I’m on ubuntu 14.04 (running i3) and have wine installed, but don’t really know how to use it. If you give me exact/idiot-proof instructions, I’ll happily try it out (because I would prefer not having to boot into windows too).

I’m on ubuntu 14.04 (running i3) and have wine installed, but don’t really know how to use it. If you give me exact/idiot-proof instructions, I’ll happily try it out (because I would prefer not having to boot into windows too).

Wine works like it would in windows. On ubuntu you can just double-click the .exe if you have wine installed. If you only use a terminal like me, type "wine ~/folder/to/reflex/reflex.exe", I like this better you can see why it didn't work and it might be fixable by installing the right dll's through winetricks.  But there's a good chance it will run straight from the box, just make sure wine is at its latest version (changes have been incredible over the past few years). If you could try that out I would be most happy. If it works I would recommend the developers to post about it on wineHQ, as it would open their game to the linux gaming community (which is not to be underestimated). A simple "works on wine" next to the buy button would have turned me into a buyer on the spot.

I don’t know if this is what you wanted me to do (again, I really don’t know how wine works), but I pointed wine at the .exe file over in my windows partition. Result:

➜  ~  wine /media/mizzu/OS/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/Reflex/reflex.exe
err:module:import_dll Library X3DAudio1_7.dll (which is needed by L"Z:mediamizzuOSProgram FilesSteamSteamAppscommonReflexreflex.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:mediamizzuOSProgram FilesSteamSteamAppscommonReflexreflex.exe" failed, status c0000135
➜  ~

I cannot immediately find that .dll in the winetricks gui, so i guess it’s not in there. Wine is on version 1.6.2 (I guess this is the one in the official ubuntu repositories).

e: after a bit of research, I learned that wine should set up a c_drive inside ~/.wine, which it did in my case. But I thought I had steam installed, but the programm files directory doesn’t contain a steam folder, so apparently I don’t. Installing that now via winetricks.

second e: reflex is downloading.

300kb/s OP

e: steam is currently installing Microsoft VC redist package for first time setup. I wonder if steam manages to install that by itself or whether I need to do that via winetricks.

e: as it stands, the first time setup thing comes up anytime I try to launch reflex, then it seems to do something for a few minutes, then an error report window pops up, saying that "Reflex has stopped working", with some usual "send report" thing underneath.

e: tried to navigate to the wine reflexfps folder and run wine reflex.exe in a terminal. The result interestingly is exactly the same as when I tried to run the game from my win partition:

➜  reflexfps  wine reflex.exe
err:module:import_dll Library X3DAudio1_7.dll (which is needed by L"Z:homemizzu.localsharewineprefixessteamdrive_cProgram FilesSteamsteamappscommonreflexfpsreflex.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:homemizzu.localsharewineprefixessteamdrive_cProgram FilesSteamsteamappscommonreflexfpsreflex.exe" failed, status c0000135
➜  reflexfps

If there’s anything to do to get it running, I would need further instructions (and i would like to note that i’m on 32 bit).

Oh dear. Well, you could try installing "d3dx11" and possibly "dxfullsetup" if that's not deprecated through winetricks or brutally copy/paste the X3DAudio1_7.dll file to the drive_c/windows/system32 folder.  I'm pretty much out of idea's after that.

neither of these packages is listed in my winetricks, and pasting in the .dll didn’t do a thing :( (interestingly, there was already a version of that file contained within system32. replacing it didn’t change anything)

That sucks. Well ok, I'll wait untill either I get a dual-boot computer  (prolly not gonna happen) or the developers make it work on linux (don't know if that will happen). Sad me :(

I don't agree with minimalism. From artist's point of view it's unsatisfying, you have to remember they are making this game for themselves as well. And from a viewer's point of view, it's become quite generic in indie games, it's in fact so generic it's like a signature for a low budget indie game. I don't think minimalism is "timeless" by your definition, it doesn't look any more stunning now or after 20 years, rather it looks like half of the games ever made with Unity. Which they should not aim for especially when they went through the trouble of making their own engine.

Besides, Reflex can end up looking anything you want over the years, when there's more options for community made custom maps/textures and meshes. 

I didn't mean minimalism as in indie unity games, I meant minimalism as in portal test-chamber. We still play football on green grass inside a stadium without blinking spacelights, the supporters look at the action.   But I guess you're right, I'll make my own minimalistic tournament maps...if...one day...youknow...

That sucks. Well ok, I'll wait untill either I get a dual-boot computer  (prolly not gonna happen) or the developers make it work on linux (don't know if that will happen). Sad me :(

I finally caved and decided to buy the game to play in wine, since I've been missing arena shooters so much since QL stopped supporting Linux.

But it seems I can't play it after all even with wine. Anyway, I don't regret sending them the $10, it looks like a great game and they deserve it. It's the first game that made me break my "buy linux games only" rule in over 2 years.

However, I think I narrowed down the issue to this bug: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=33153

This is the same error wine is showing right before reflex crashes. It's a DirectX11 function call that isn't yet implemented in WINE.

So I guess I'll either have to wait until the wine developers implement that call in an update, or the reflex developers create a linux client. The race is on I guess. I just hope someone finishes the race eventually