newborn

New weapon concepts!

Big big downvote if it's Steampunk. That fad cooked around for a good ten years before it finally bubbled up, and I think it was a flash in the pan that people wanted to be good more than it was good. I feel like with all the zombie-centric post-apocalyptic crap going around, the next big hotness will be post-post-apocalyptic. We had all that but the cannibals and shit are gone and now we're rebuilding. Kind of a new Manifest Destiny feeling that lends itself really well to a setting like "Future Wild West" or something. Giant stompy robots fighting in combat arenas for the pleasure and gambling of the masses or something. Like a future setting with appropriate technology and culture, but the level of societal development is lowered. Mad Max-ish.

Another thing that might be looked out for... with games like Q3A the overall art compared to today was pretty low detail... that made orientation in maps, and seeing pickups and opponents not much of a problem. Ever since UT2k3 and even more so with UT3, there has been a tendency in FPS games to totally overkill with complicated meshes and detail. Animated blinking stuff all over the place.This significantly increases the visual noise detracting from the gameplay, i.e. recognising enemies quickly enough or even recognizing pickups (especially in realistic games e.g. like Far Cry 3) becomes an issue. Thus most gamers started to turn down detail as much as possible... thus playing in really ugly maps. So one may wonder why bother with detail to begin with... I personally play with everything turned on to the max (if my hardware can take it).

Presently the extremely abstract look in Reflex focuses anything that is animated like enemies or pickups, and makes both easy to see. Portal is a good example of this situation... they toned down detail (stylizing) on purpose to reduce the visual confusion, helping focus on solving the puzzles...

Now imagine hammering everything with wood, corroded metal, cogs, steam, darkness and other steam punkish elements on all walls and floors... and then imagine your weapons in the same style... you will have a bitch of a time to see them... and imagine "steam robots" also in a toned down style (which would look better)... but making everything tone in tone.

So there will need to be a fine line to tread... detail yes... but very much controlled. Detail overkill might end up as a large issue.

You're absolutely spot-on.

Visual noise is an extremely important factor to consider when making a game of this competitive nature. If there's too much visual noise that distracts players from gameplay, then not many players will even use the high graphical detail settings, thus wasting art development time.

I quite like them, from the pictures it seems as if attention have been paid to the handles and stock, so that presumably each weapon will be held in a unique fashion, so even if the weapons themselves look similar the enemy stance and especially arm orientation would help identifying which is which.

It seems its already decided to go into this direction (with art already in the game). I am curious tho - do you have a complete concept pic, with a map, enemymodel and items? I cant really imagine how the game will look with only gun concepts and fan/pipes in the envtank map.

It looks like you are going for a high detail / realistic look. Unsure how this will mesh with a competitive fps..

I'm interested to know what this means for the visual look of areas. Looking through the old level concepts, these weapons wouldn't fit into any of them really (except maybe the gothic one). I assume the new weapons would be used with the sort of run-down, drab, industrial that the art assets on envtank seem to imply. In that case, I feel like the change in theme will do more harm than good, especially in terms of general visibility.

I'd like to see some sort of general concept of how these weapons would look while in a map with a matching visual theme. I feel like people would better be able to judge how they feel about the new weapon designs if they can better visualize how the end product is expected to look, rather than just some guns.

I like it if it doesnt go closer to steampunk. As I see this world - its a sci-fi future but maybe a bit postapocaliptic (like during a long draining war or something) so that it has future technology, but many things are hand made... So neons and outer space and teleports still there but like current RL is from factory but in long use and maybe repaired and these weapons are like hand made (so even styles can be combined if needed...). So weapons should look functional (art near RL trigger is maybe ok like authors signature but not overdo with that ^^).  Melee can be a hammer actually like more oldscool industrial all-questions-tool. 

As a side thing about colors - wood, leather are brown, cloth and metal  is gray - if they would be primary colors for game world it would be depressing. Like combining with bad lightning. So a sci-fi world shouldn't degrade to rotten industrial too much :)

I think they look good, but I'm not sure they're a good fit for the game. I have a few concerns that have already been raised by others :

1 - I'm afraid they're a little bit too complex looking to be easily "readable".

2 - They don't look very different from one another, I think newcomers may have a hard time telling which weapon is which (at first I thought the bolt rifle was the shotgun...)

3 - I don't really see them fitting with the existing character, and I really like the existing character. One possible solution would be for these weapon designs to be for friendlies (human model) while the foes (robot model) would have more futuristic looking guns, but that would just add some confusion.

So yeah, they look good but honestly I don't see them working that well.

Guest My opinion

I Dont like them at al, for this game that is. Should be Sci Fi flavored this looks like bioshock makes it look childish, should be like quake 3 style in my mind. go back to simplicity would work alot better. I Like the rocketlauncher the way it is now with minor modification that it wont look like holding a pipe.

Well I listed to the interview ... they are thinking post industrial revolution, after steam, and coal... into first "Edison" and "Tesla" to electricity and electromagnetism... IIRC around 1930 pre WWII "industrial"... that is their concept.

I was thinking Art Deco... done a lot, though I still love that... but apparently that will not be the way. Then I was thinking... this is getting awfully close to WWII (another thing I am not much a fan of)... so what comes to mind would actually be Wolfenstein... basic technology, very low techy (meaning no computers), crafted together, but with a touch of the surreal and fantasy (see teleports)... hmmm.

They are trying to go for their own style... but I guess we will need to wait for the upcoming art sketches / concept art to better be able to visualize the direction of Reflex. Apparently it definitely will not be good old Duck Dodgers SciFi (har ;))... oh and the robot avatar will be dropped (obviously).

Personally, I hope the style will have a certain degree of amazement splashed in... i.e. Art Deco or Streamline Moderne... so you clearly can see its not 2010 tech... but advanced plausible "old tech". An interesting architectural style would be something I'd love to see... I'd hate to see more of those gritty crummy dirty warehouses.

A tall order... but so far the dev team has always been able to amaze me, going beyond what I could have hoped for... so keeping fingers crossed B)

Oh, and for those wondering, the grid textures are supposed to stay... meaning, if you want your present maps to look the way they look... they can... according to the devs. They are thinking of using the grid textures mostly as template textures, to block out early layouts for maps anyway. Makes sense.

About the 3 concepts they had... apparently the Gothic one and the SciFi one would simply be spreading out their manpower (not their talent) too much, so they had to decide to focus on ONE style (initially).

was really hoping you guys wouldnt go too UT on the new weapon designs (as opposed to the simple quake style weapons), and you really delivered!

for the most part at least, i am not completely sold on the ion cannon! but maybe im misjudging!

Interesting, looking forward to the "whole picture", i. e. in a map with player models and whatnot.

As for recognizability of weapons, here's a quote from Electro on Reddit:

[–]BenDarling 2 Punkte 2 hours ago

Silhouette, mesh/texture colour, effect colour (on gun while held), light emission colour and player stance

Are the main points of interest we'll be focusing on for clear distinction with the weapons. I believe player stance is extremely important as it gives the entire player a unique silhouette when using a particular weapon. So even though a player might be so far away that the weapon is only a few pixels in screen real estate, you still know what they have by the way they're holding it.

I'm really hoping you'll mix in some H.P. Lovecraft mythos like stuff for the art direction :) Would be an awesome tribute to Q1 and I think it would suit what you're already working on really great :D

That would be really cool

Sorry, but I don't like this :(

This is a game in which the player character moves using air strafing and strafe jumping.  The environments will in many cases be user generated, and the primary focus of their design will not be their aesthetics, but their gameplay attributes. These weapon designs do not explain why the player character has superhuman abilities, or why the environments don't resemble any man made architecture.  Rather they add new questions, of why the stock of an electromagnetic rifle would be manufactured with wood and leather.

Futuristic syfy would maybe work, because nobody knows what spaceship interiors look like.  A demonic style like inside the oblivion gates in oblivion would probably work, because demons.  A tournament being thrown by powerful sorcerers to entertain themselves would work, because magic.  A Tron style where we're all stuck in a VR world would make sense, because computers are awesome.  A surrealistic Alice in Wonderland would work, because then it obviously wouldn't be intended to make any sense.  

But this adds another thing that has to be explained, and arena FPS does not have much in the way of narrative space in which to explain it.  Not that it would ruin the game for me though, as long as the game remains fun I'm sure I'll play it, just my 2 cents.

I'm completely sold! Love it. The wooden stocks, leather and glass tubes are fucking sick. I don't know why people are already arguing about visual noise and that kind of stuff already. The devs would have to take things very far to get to UT3 levels of darkness and contrast.

I do wonder what kind of lore you guys are thinking of though. Still man vs machines? One corporation vs another (like TF2)? Since it's the 30's or at least inspired by that time period, unions and workers vs capitalists? Excited to see. :)

This is fantastic! I'm not sure what theme you guys are going for but to me it looks like a "sci-fi industrial pirate" kind of look and I'm really liking it! And the rocket launcher is so spot on especially with the red fabric on it and looks absolutely amazing! Love how you guys aren't going for the sci-fi look! Keep up the great work on these guns and the game! Looking forward to skin and other updates soon! :D

Edit: Actually now that I think about it... it strikes me more as a steampunk/sci-fi. If you guys keep this up (aka the futuristic/past look) this game could have an amazing art style that would compliment the game really well!

P.S. anyone please feel free to comment on this as I would like to hear others opinions on this :)

Guest My opinion

Was hoping the weapons would look more like district 9

Awesome ! that's it make allweapons look simulair like these and u would have one killer game sci fi all the way !