newborn

New weapon concepts!

Also, the user interface.... How does it match this art style? It is going to look really really weird. Sorry Electro.

the robot model will be replaced

the UI art style will be replaced

maybe think things over for 5 seconds before posting

I kinda like it. The steampunk weapons would definitely fit the game. I'm pretty sure the devs have objects, materials and different player models hidden under their sleeve. I'm not much picky about this either, hopefully it's developed well in contrast with the environment of the game.

/sign

Another problem with this hacked-together junky style is that (when made professionaly) it has the possibility to look cool, but it would need a shitload of art and professional level design that this game and dev team is just not ready for. Lets say the new UT would choose this as an art direction... it might work for them, but not here in Reflex. IMO what Reflex needs is a very well thought out minimalistic (maybe somewhat sci-fi) timeless look that leaves some things to imagination, have a very high visual clarity and supports easy level editing etc.

Guest Mr. Bond

Someone wrote this on FB already but:

Even if these looks really nice to begin with the game is to fast paced to have a chance to look at them. A more clean and simple look (with wide difference in form and coloe between weapons) would make more sense, like how the RL is already.

I'm a bit torn! The new art is definitely cool, but I'm sympathetic to the arguments in favour of simplicity, cleanliness and clear distinctions between weapons. In game, at high speed, I can imagine these ending up as a bit of a brown & grey blur. Also, although I generally don't give a shit about whether games 'make sense', my brain finds the idea of a wood-and-leather rocket launcher a bit hard to accept. :)

edit: I notice you mentioned 'a new theme' -- are there going to be different weapon models to suit the different environments? (and/or to sell as cosmetic upgrades?) If this was just one of several different weapon themes, my criticisms would be much less significant.

I think you should not skip your old concepts.. gothic, tech and industrial are all great. I understand it's a lot of work. In my opinion you should first focus on one art direction (old industrial style). Then if that's done you can do more.

Also from the new concepts I only like the Ion Cannon. In my opinion you should keep your Tech style that you already have (because I freakin love that robot and it's a very cool and simple look)...

In my opinion these concepts should be a skinpack for later on. Because yes, these weapons look somewhat good (if you like them) but I don't think they are simple, basic and useful enaugh.

you guys are aware that the devs have said there will be a 'high visibility' mode that will be very similar to what the game currently looks like now right?

So everyone who likes the current look can just play in that mode and problem solved. Not hard.

Sure, but there's a middle ground too. I don't want Reflex to be stuck in placeholder mode forever, but that doesn't mean the new fancy graphics can't retain some of the same virtues.

People are reading way too much into the word steampunk. The devs have always described it as an industrial theme. Don't assume it's anything else, at this point in time anyway.

Another problem with this hacked-together junky style is that (when made professionaly) it has the possibility to look cool, but it would need a shitload of art and professional level design that this game and dev team is just not ready for. Lets say the new UT would choose this as an art direction... it might work for them, but not here in Reflex. IMO what Reflex needs is a very well thought out minimalistic (maybe somewhat sci-fi) timeless look that leaves some things to imagination, have a very high visual clarity and supports easy level editing etc.

Minimalistic isn't really a thing in itself. An industrial theme could be minimalist just as a sci-fi theme would. And by sci-fi, I assume you mean futuristic? Like every single other arena shooter out there?

Guest Hei

No, please no. I've felt Reflex very minimalistic and i would love it to stay that way. The game seems futuristic, robots with their cute sounds and axe murder animations, i just can't fit the speculated gothic theme and some steampunk'ish weapons to the current design. I'm not saying you should do another Quake or Unreal Tournament, but i would still like to see Reflex taking more futuristic approach. ;___;

Personally I would also like to see a futuristic look... but that could always be done using user created content at a later point. I.e. almost all my Q3A maps did *not* use the original id theme... but some more abstract one I created. So that is not really an issue in the long run. Only if the theme was more Sci-Fi those assets would not need to be created outside of the game :ph34r: ...

Electro pay no heed to me... stick to your vision... we will take what we get and love it ^_^

Griff... it has been mentioned by the devs and a few times in the thread:

the robot avatar is currently only a placeholder that will be changed,

so it is irrelevant for any present or future art.

Such a shame, i saw reflex ~1 year ago and it got me because of it's looks along with the style of gameplay ofc that it uses. I thoguht this is the style they're gonna go for since they so heavily used it in the kickstarter and all. It wasn't clearly enough then emphasized that ALL of the previous art/theme was just placeholder. I mean, i think like most ppl here, i thought that the game is gonna have the tech/gothic/industrial theme but just obviously in more refined state. I did not expect a complete theme overhaul to steampunk instead all the sudden..

This is like if STRAFE (upcoming doom style fps) would just one day switch their current designs which already is their idea to some Caveman theme instead where you fight against dinosaurs with stones and spears, eventhough the whole wolrd already knows it as space/ sci-fi game where you fight against aliens/creatures.

I really hope reflex is not gonna do a full switch to steampunk theme. :(

Such a shame, i saw reflex ~1 year ago and it got me because of it's looks along with the style of gameplay ofc that it uses. I thoguht this is the style they're gonna go for since they so heavily used it in the kickstarter and all. It wasn't clearly enough then emphasized that ALL of the previous art/theme was just placeholder. I mean, i think like most ppl here, i thought that the game is gonna have the tech/gothic/industrial theme but just obviously in more refined state. I did not expect a complete theme overhaul to steampunk instead all the sudden..

This is like if STRAFE (upcoming doom style fps) would just one day switch their current designs which already is their idea to some Caveman theme instead where you fight against dinosaurs with stones and spears, eventhough the whole wolrd already knows it as space/ sci-fi game where you fight against aliens/creatures.

I really hope reflex is not gonna do a full switch to steampunk theme. :(

Yeah this is such a 180 turn from the original concept, that I keep checking the calendar if it is the 1st of Apr. 

They wanna go original - I understand, but maybe there is a reason there are not many steampunkish arena shooters out there.

Also I'm a bit concerned about the quality of the new content (I know, I know it is in early stages...) but comparing these new designs to the original concept art... sorry but these feel amateurish and not professional at all. Also the new items in envtank look like some free objects from an open source model database... no new ideas at all, just some generic stuff. 

I do not wanna hurt any feelings, or stir the pot too much, I'm just venting my feelings. I feel like this will be a dead end.

Such a shame, i saw reflex ~1 year ago and it got me because of it's looks along with the style of gameplay ofc that it uses. I thoguht this is the style they're gonna go for since they so heavily used it in the kickstarter and all. It wasn't clearly enough then emphasized that ALL of the previous art/theme was just placeholder.  I mean, i think like most ppl here, i thought that the game is gonna have the tech/gothic/industrial theme but just obviously in more refined state. I did not expect a complete theme overhaul to steampunk instead all the sudden..

The trailer and the very early builds had a text that literally said: "ALL art, sound, and effects are placeholders". I can't fathom how you could have missed that with such confidence.

They didn't overhaul anything, the industrial concept is one of the concepts they had since day one (day one being the date of trailer release) and they just decided to go with that one. I don't understand how you might of misinterpret that as well. They are not going for steampunk theme, they are going for industrial revolution theme, which could easily be interpret as steampunk due to some of the fictional weapon concepts. I hope you see the difference.

Can someone show me explicitly where the devs said they were going for a steampunk theme?

All this visibility boogeyman fear mongering is totally ridiculous. All we have seen are concept drawings! The devs have shown constant commitment to competitive gameplay, why would they stop now? Readability/visibility are functions of many different things, you cant extrapolate from a few concept drawings. They have even said high vis mode will always be available so what is the problem exactly?!

Reading this forum must be insufferable for newborn and friends; every tiny deviation from quake 3 gets met with dissertations of disingenuous "concerns" and theory crafting.

Sorry this turned into a bit of rant, haha.

Also I'm a bit concerned about the quality of the new content (I know, I know it is in early stages...) but comparing these new designs to the original concept art... sorry but these feel amateurish and not professional at all.

One thing to keep in mind when comparing the old concepts and the new: The old concepts were developed to be both concepts and marketing material. They have far more detail and polish than we really need for our concept art. The new concept art is primarily designed for us to start building assets from so as long as shape and materials is communicated, thats all we need.