newborn

New weapon concepts!

Justfying the movements players can do is a bit ridiculous, in the real world this would have to be some kind of robotic drone with hydraulics and jet thrusters. As someone else said, Orb. We don't need to or want to be trying to justify the physics through player visuals.

It could be something simple as Portal boots combined with some kind of underarm clothing for gliding (air control). I can imagine it being designed in the way that would be consistent with the weapons. On the other hand characters have to be simple and designed around hitboxes.

jK4P3bm.jpg

ccpM25h.png

It could be something simple as Portal boots combined with some kind of underarm clothing for gliding (air control). I can imagine it being designed in the way that would be consistent with the weapons. On the other hand characters have to be simple and designed around hitboxes.

So how does this justify rocket jumping?

It's not real life, it's a game. Fun doesn't need to make sense.

Justfying the movements players can do is a bit ridiculous, in the real world this would have to be some kind of robotic drone with hydraulics and jet thrusters. As someone else said, Orb. We don't need to or want to be trying to justify the physics through player visuals.

I kind of disagree with this. Player visuals make it much clearer for new players or spectators that the movement mechanics are intentional and should be used. After all, strafe jumping and bunny hopping were originally unintentional game engine bugs, so the movement mechanics could still be perceived as unintentional bugs to a layman.

Also, I know you want to maximise player customisation, but I don't see anything wrong with different variations of jet thruster cosmetics and/or special boots to choose from.

Electro, I think it would be cooler if you could pick a player model instead of customizing it. For example we could have around 5 models in the game to choose from, and the rest we can buy from the market. I think this would be better, because then we could play as different characters instead of everyone playing as one character with different colours.

That's pretty boring and doesn't offer any sort of personalisation.

I kind of disagree with this. Player visuals make it much clearer for new players or spectators that the movement mechanics are intentional and should be used. After all, strafe jumping and bunny hopping were originally unintentional game engine bugs, so the movement mechanics could still be perceived as unintentional bugs to a layman.

Except that it makes no difference. Even if you add ski boots or wings, new players are just going to be confused and wondering how to use them instead, what key is that feature binded to.. etc. Bunnyhopping(strafe jumping) and air control aren't exactly features, they fall to the category of exploits and they're not really that weird and unknown mechanics in gaming, I think we can primarily thank Valve for that.

msOTChL.png

This image is insanely cool. Is it Reflex or the Order?

When the art style in the op was first shown to me I thought it was ok. Pretty cool. Its been growing on me more and more.

I really hope they implement some gory stuff with it, especially as we are playing as humans instead of robots.

And while I am now very on board with this art style, I am a little sad to never see this come to life: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/XQaN3h-S4Wo/maxresdefault.jpg- because its so damn sexy

GL devs, and GL with the sound, it will play a big part in making these weapons sound and feel meaty/cool

msOTChL.png

This image is insanely cool. Is it Reflex or the Order?

When the art style in the op was first shown to me I thought it was ok. Pretty cool. Its been growing on me more and more.

I really hope they implement some gory stuff with it, especially as we are playing as humans instead of robots.

And while I am now very on board with this art style, I am a little sad to never see this come to life: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/XQaN3h-S4Wo/maxresdefault.jpg- because its so damn sexy

GL devs, and GL with the sound, it will play a big part in making these weapons sound and feel meaty/cool

That gun is looking better, but it is not Reflex unfortunately.

And the linked early concept is indeed badass.

Except that it makes no difference. Even if you add ski boots or wings, new players are just going to be confused and wondering how to use them instead, what key is that feature binded to.. etc. Bunnyhopping(strafe jumping) and air control aren't exactly features, they fall to the category of exploits and they're not really that weird and unknown mechanics in gaming, I think we can primarily thank Valve for that.

You make a good point, I could definitely see where that could lead players astray. However I do think that specific visuals for various movement mechanics would be good if it's done well enough. If it looks natural, more like an extension of another action, rather than a specific action on it's own.

Fortress Forever is a game that heavily features ramp sliding, with characters going anywhere from 700 to 2000ups flying up ramps. Recently they added a particle affect, sparks for metal ramps, or a little dust trail for sliding on cement or wood ramps. It's nice, it's pretty subtle, but it's also very apparent that "something's going on there". And even if a player doesn't understand what's going on, it gets them asking the right questions.

Little affects and visuals for movement mechanics are actually a really nice layer of design polish for a pretty low price.

I don't agree with what was said before that it looks like the 1886's rifle. The bolt rifle here would reveal better his true shape from a 3/4 upper view. Here it looks a bit flat because of the profile view but it has this asymmetrical shape that remind me of the colt peacemaker revolver's cannon. And the peacemaker looks cool.

Can someone show me explicitly where the devs said they were going for a steampunk theme?

All this visibility boogeyman fear mongering is totally ridiculous. All we have seen are concept drawings! The devs have shown constant commitment to competitive gameplay, why would they stop now? Readability/visibility are functions of many different things, you cant extrapolate from a few concept drawings. They have even said high vis mode will always be available so what is the problem exactly?!

Reading this forum must be insufferable for newborn and friends; every tiny deviation from quake 3 gets met with dissertations of disingenuous "concerns" and theory crafting.

Sorry this turned into a bit of rant, haha.

For me this is not about this "high vis"-bullshit if I want "high vis" I can also play quakeworld. What I expected from reflex was a modern looking arena fps that doesn't force people to using the "high vis" mode to get crazy advantages by less distraction.. I hate that bs since like forever. Why not make a game without freaking content-removal settings (like other successful competetive shooters e.g. CS:GO). I am also very very disappointed that they will change their original concept to some alternate reality thirties-theme (whatever the fuck it's called).

I think it would be better to go for some various generic themes (generic is just popular - there will always be some super individual art lovers who moan about anything they have seen atleast once)..

I am pretty sure after a while Reflex would offer more variation, more themes and more interpretations (custom content that fits into the universe), if Turbopixel would go for a general, more universal future-theme. Ofc I don't expect to see massive amounts of assets in the next updates. Art creation takes time and I understand that. But I really think their original concept could draw more interesst from the masses than some very special alternate 30ies Theme. It's just too special and people would not know what to expect from the game. The longer I think about the future look of Reflex, the more I worry about it. Atm I really like the game and some strange art-style (the ioncannon looks like a half AK47.. I mean.. WTF) is the only thing left that could keep me from playing this game.. :/ I feel a bit hocussed. Ofc it said "All art is going to change" but it never said "The whole art direction is going to be different in the end-product"

No it isn't. You could have different models, and different skins for them. Have a look at Warframe for example. They have different characters, and there are so many cosmetics, that it makes every player look unique.

Having just the same model for everyone and different skins is insanely boring, it would look just like the forced Keel model in CPMA.

I'm not sure you understand what customization means. Skins are just texture swaps, customization is far far from that.

Personally I feel like the concept designs just feel out of place and a bit awkward in a futuristic game like this one. I know the art style might stray from the current state, but I think the whole Edison vs Tesla thing would look strange with the robot character models. Just my two cents.

Personally I feel like the concept designs just feel out of place and a bit awkward in a futuristic game like this one. I know the art style might stray from the current state, but I think the whole Edison vs Tesla thing would look strange with the robot character models. Just my two cents.

Unfortunately robot character is also a placeholder as it turned out...

Unfortunately robot character is also a placeholder as it turned out...

Ah ok, then maybe the devs will be able to pull this whole thing off and make a theme to fit. Either way, i'm sure everything will look amazing when it's all said and done. :)

the argument that you won't be able to see which weapon the enemy is holding is complete bullshit imo, at least for 1v1. who tries to do this anyway?

"hey this guy is holding a rail, i should better hide" oh yeah? at this point you should already know that he picked up the gun and has it in his arsenal. but if you don't know, what else would be the reason he's standing at long range, not moving, waiting for you to pop up on his screen in some chokepoint? he's probably trying to rail you, that's why. by the time you identify those two pixels and make them out to be a specific gun you're already eating the second shot. the game is just too fast. i think nobody would even notice for a long time if you silently patched in a grey model for enemy weapon no matter what weapon he's holding

edit: my point is that it takes longer to identify an enemy's gun than it takes your enemy to shoot it, which automatically makes you identify the gun (unless you're a moron)

the new Rocket Launcher looks awesome. I said before that I don't like seeing the game abandon its current ultra minimalist style. Seeing the new weapons concepts i'll have go admit it could also become pretty neat. So if I'll have to go that road I could as well go ahead.

the Rocket launcher is great. It is in its basic form kind of simple - a tube - with some little details on it.

the Ion Canon and Bolt however seem a bit too much. I'll explain. In an arena sports-game the weapons would be on heavy duty. intricate concepts with lots of free or moving parts would make the weapons not last long. Also this design is aging fast. the new old Flak-cannon in UT 4 is a good example. please compare the model of UT3 and the new one. the UT3-model looks like an alien moving its tentacles. if this weapon would fall down repeatedly they would all break apart - and it wouldn't even matter since the parts were unnecessary to begin with. Now they realized that the old model despite being A little low-poly wasn't that bad at all.

A solid weapon looks more persuasive to me than one with 1000 different moving and free hanging parts.

your models look like this. They seem tough and wouldn't mind falling down or laying in the mud - This is a good thing.

however the three weapons are a little too small in my opinion. Also IC, PG and BR (Bolt) look fairly similar. At least from distance I guess. Why not go full steampunk instead of just steampunky and add some pretty ornaments or elements that make the weapons more distinct. Add some Jewelry that glows. Golden ornaments.

A while ago I designed some weapons on paper myself. I'll try to find the pictures. they're all yours. One of the weapons I made had a counter for ammo built in. It would have some clockwork in it with moving gears that would turn three short tubes. the three tubes would work like the mileage in a car. all that would be under a glass-bowl - remember McScrooges Stockexchange-Telegramm-Machine that output a stream of paper? that kind of clockworkmaschinery under glass is part of the weapon.

in general: make the weapons bigger, bulkier. machines of that era weren't small or streamlined like. the uglier their shapes the more ornaments and wood or brass they had around them to make up for that. weapons should be easy identifiable in reflex - meaning you know quickly what weapon your enemy is holding in its hand.

Also I have a suggestion for Plasma. Why not shoot plasma-vortices/rings instead of the ol' Balls. Smoke-Rings but a little bigger and much faster. The weapon could have a reaction chamber attached. The chamber would glow a little and have an exhaust somewhere, where it would glow and smoke. that could be a useful identification. The chamber could be kind of a mini-fusion-reactor - A torus-shaped part would make such a weapon quite distinct.

for the IC I would add a nuclear fission chamber or something as a powersource. a well established game-mechanic is that the lightning gun is humming, because: traps. the sound of the ion-cannon could be a slight geiger-counter-sound.

For the Bolt-Rifle I am kinda clueless. I always loved the railgun in quake because I could customize the color. Colorizing the bolt-lightning would be kinda unrealistic (yeah I know), because: physics. But what the heck <picard> Make it so! </picard>. I would just love for it to be a little bigger. Also this weapon can kill from very far away. It is evil it is dangerous. A 1900-engineer would try to make it look more fearsome? Right now it is already quite nice. but it needs a little less nice I think ;D

(talking about your first part chin_0k) Don't you think you're sticking a bit too much with realism for this kind of game ? If it's believable and harmonized with characters and environment maybe you'd think differently. It depends of povs of course but has to be considered.

Not to mention the sound design, which would add a lot to "credibility".

These weapons look pretty solid to me. The RL is big & might be on shoulder, lightning has this yellow-ish glowing glass chamber & rotating constantly, bolt rifle has the blue electricity. Also as it was said before I don't know if it's necessary to identify weapons since you can shoot before the firing weapon got switched. (personnally I can't identify them).

Smoke rings are nice idea, plenty of them would be hard to avoid as projectiles except if they get glowy. But for a hitscan non-auto weapon I'd like that. A big one around shotgun, plus it would respect it's pattern. 

I am not so much concerned with realism. Although I think that bulier versions of the weapons would look more badass. More robust also. 

I searched for some pictures that could illustrate my thoughts a little. Maybe you like them. I'll add more when I find more.

here are some links:

http://imgur.com/a/1uXcW (I love the brass thick piece!)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/ManitobaHydroPointeduBois_Generator.jpg

http://gluedideas.com/Encyclopedia-Britannica-Volume-8-Part-1-Edward-Extract/images/Encyclopedia-Britannica-Volume-8-Part-1-Edward-Extract_Picture37.jpg

an old electrical generator

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexwrt/13822708223/in/photostream/lightbox/

Now imagine that together with brass elements or ornaments. 

The Time Machine from the Remake. https://youtu.be/D6uIONVMTxE