newborn

New weapon concepts!

And while I am now very on board with this art style, I am a little sad to never see this come to life: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/XQaN3h-S4Wo/maxresdefault.jpg- because its so damn sexy

How is that? :)

As a mapper, that is absolutely compatible. Because it doesnt matter. Q3 backstory: Vadrigar send undying warriors into arenas all over spacetime. Take a look at lvlworld to see what those arenas can look like. Reflex just needs a little backstory. Plus it has the advantage of not being a AAA single player title that is locked into a handful of timejump/scenery changes to deliver variety. The phase of hardcore gameplay mapping Reflex is going through right now will become the foundation for actually beautiful, well designed maps that look the part. And creating a BioShock level of detail for a Reflex map is IMO quite possible with the current state of level editing tools (including modeling and texturing, going into instances, maybe processing/generators etc.) in general. 

Guest goochie

guys who say the weapons are too cluttered probably took the captions and arrows into account. i don't see how this is cluttered:

5v61GCq.png

it's also nice that some people label them "indistinguishable" when all you have is side-view concept art

Not feeling this at all. I'm a HUGE cyberpunk fan and have always hated steam punk. This really feels like some sort of steam punk. Puke.

Maybe you missed some news, but the devs more or less said, that the game will head in this direction. I personally like SciFi also, but I have to admit that is everywhere.

Also I realize it is not exactly steampunk, but kind of induatrial revolution. Something like 1900 era.

Ok crazy idea here:

It might just be due to the fact that I played CS:GO and TF2, and I really liked the customization aspects, but maybe the devs could include an option to change the theme of the weapons (all the weapons at a time).

The player stance and how the gun is held could be made the same for each weapon across themes. Might not fit with the overall theme of a map or the entire game, but if you want to change the designs then you have that option available to you.

Not sure how this would work server/client side, but just a thought.

It's not steampunk, I've already said this.

Even with my post on page 7 (do I need to move this to the original post?) people are still writing comments as if they haven't read it.

Nobody has the full vision of the game, so the confusion is understandable. I tried to clarify it best I can for now in my post.
You're going to have to wait until you see things actually realised in-game.

I repeat again, it's not steampunk, and we're not releasing something that is shit, we'll work on it as long as it takes to make it good.

Even with my post on page 7 (do I need to move this to the original post?) people are still writing comments as if they haven't read it.

I am guessing most "new" folks to the thread look at the first post + art images... and ignore the rest of the thread. Posting the cleaned up art without any text, a few posts up, could also help. So yes, adding your explanation to the first post would be a good idea.

Most folks are professional thread title readers... and that is it -_-

Nobody has the full vision of the game, so the confusion is understandable. I tried to clarify it best I can for now in my post.
You're going to have to wait until you see things actually realised in-game.

I repeat again, it's not steampunk, and we're not releasing something that is shit, we'll work on it as long as it takes to make it good.

Okay I understand but the art in the pictures looks very steam punk and either way it is ugly. That is my opinion. I hope I have a free option to completely change those skins if they make it in. I'll have to go read your post now.

*edit* Read your post and I can calm down now. We'll see how it all plays out. For the amount of money I paid for this game I defiantly already got my moneys worth tho, so I'm not trying to complain too hard. I've been away for a little while and I came back and seen those pictures first thing and it was a shocker. That's all.  (:

I must say I feel a bit tricked, I knew a lot of stuff was placeholder but hearing the game now takes place in the 40's or something and the robots were just placeholders feels just... weird. I'm a sci-fi person, you see. :S

But this could work, maybe. For comparison's sake, Toxikk is sci-fi but the player models and weapons don't stand out much. Same for Halo and... way too many games.

This concept idea could very well give the game an instantly recognizable look and feel so that people know Reflex when they see it. Just, I was really hoping that I'd get to play as a robot, is all. ;w;

Maybe if you could play as a 30's, Tesla-like robot or cyborg or dude in power armor? That'd be pretty cool.

As for the weapons, they could work, reminds a bit of the original Quake in a good way except more varied. And having the weapons look so different could be useful in many ways, could definitely benefit both you, the player and the opponents.

So, TL;DR, I'll miss robots but I'm open-minded nonetheless.

Agreed, only if it has a tophat and monacle.  :)

I know you're joking but onsidering what the robots currently look like, that would actually not be a bad idea, make a big box head with a giant monocle attached! Classiest killer robot ever, and give it some tea and crumpets and you're good to go. :P

Actually i was 100% serious. I'm in support of the art direction, and would love to retain the robot. You had a great idea with the period specific robot. I just added the tophat and monacle, which i think would look $$ on a cobbled together bucket of bolts.  :)

Actually i was 100% serious. I'm in support of the art direction, and would love to retain the robot. You had a great idea with the period specific robot. I just added the tophat and monacle, which i think would look $$ on a cobbled together bucket of bolts.  :)

Why Robots? Robots are boring.

Why Robots? Robots are boring.

That's kinda close-minded but maybe I should've specified that robots should just be one out of many possible models, having a lot of variety in player characters is aways helpful.

I mean, I never thought Unreal Tournament (at least UT99 and to a lesser extent the new one) did it quite as well as say, Quake III. Q3 suffered a bit from a lack of customization but the player models were very diverse, you could play as almost everything under the sun, from space reptiles to Santa Claus!

So yeah, just advocating from some variety and my own mild robot bias.

That's kinda close-minded but maybe I should've specified that robots should just be one out of many possible models, having a lot of variety in player characters is aways helpful.

I mean, I never thought Unreal Tournament (at least UT99 and to a lesser extent the new one) did it quite as well as say, Quake III. Q3 suffered a bit from a lack of customization but the player models were very diverse, you could play as almost everything under the sun, from space reptiles to Santa Claus!

So yeah, just advocating from some variety and my own mild robot bias.

Did anyone actually care much for their model? It was really only about finding the least obnoxious soundset.

I am also 100% in for the robot! a Tesla/Clockwork/Steampunky version of the robot now would be absolutely awesome. The sound when fragging an enemy is soo satisfying and brutal! But it only makes sens when fragging a robot.

shooting humans or whatever isn't really new. Right Now the Robot is one of the things that really sets this game apart. it is quite unique. I hope it stays in in some way!

I agree the variety of models in Q3A was one of the obvious advantages of Q3A over UT... I used to actually hate certain bots in their Q3A maps, not winning against them... in UT they were completely faceless. No matter.

A point I would like to raise is the issue of censorship... in Germany fragging humans gets you banned (the game that is), so I thought "ah, using robots to avoid that, smart move"... and I think Australia was also starting to ban games with too much explicit violence, bloodsplattering and the like. So it would be clever to use non-human avatars...

Teslapunk robots (no yucky cyborgs please, we already have Far Cry Blood Dragon for that) should work... androids would end up looking to much like humans, alas... and these robots could fit in with the weapon theme too. Or create alien creatures... har  <_<  Or a cardboard cut-out with the text "place-holder enemy" on it :ph34r: